Specing a system

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
OWG

Specing a system

Post by OWG » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 am

Ben -

Looking for your recommendation to spec out a system.

General Questions:
- Are there any budget constraints to work within?
Affordability always plays into product/material selection.
- How do you plan on communicating with your router?
Cat5/6 Ethernet
- What energy monitor you're considering purchasing? (if known)
GreenEye
- Do you plan on using pulse counting? And if so, how many?
No
- Is this a single-phase or 3-phase install? (If it's not your average residential install)
Single Phase

For determining current transformers:
- How many circuit breakers do you wish to monitor?

- What is the amperage of the above breakers?
Size Total
15A 23
20A 15
Double/240 30A 1
Double/240 50A 2
Grand Total 41

- Are there any 2-pole breakers?
Yes, see table above

- Do any of the 2-pole breakers have no neutral? (This can reduce the amount of CTs needed)
No

- What is the amperage of your main breaker?
200a

Is the DashBox server available, if so what is it's pricing?

Dan
Teken

Re: Specing a system

Post by Teken » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:27 am

Hello Dan,

Since the GEM only support 32 channels and you have 41 loads. You will need to group a few of them so they are monitored.

The Dash Box is aprox $260.XX and all you need to do is request a final quote from (Tammy) when placing your order. You will need to decide how you wish to connect to the GEM.

Your choices are via the STS (Serial Cable) direct cable from the DB to the GEM. Wireless, which requires that both devices (GEM & DB) have the wireless module. Last, via Ethernet connection over IP.

I selected using the serial (STS) cable as this ensures a rock solid connection and avoids any wireless / Ethernet related issues.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
OWG

Post by OWG » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:04 am

Teken -
Thanks for the response. I noted in the specs that Brultech intends for the unit to be expandable. That would be the optimal solution. If the development of the expansion components aren't there, but are realistically in development, then the path you offer would allow a near term capability. In the worst (most expensive) case I could lay in a second GEM and aggregate the data in the Dashbox.

I read through your Garage Journal writeup and endorse the hardwired connection. IMHO the only thing better would be to integrate the dashbox as a daughter card within the GEM.

Dan
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:13 am

Hello Dan,

Yes, in the ideal world all of the functions and services would be in one nice little box! :P But, that was not part of the development plan at the time. I do hope that the GEM will have the ability to expand beyond the 32 channels in the future.

As that would reduce costs, and allow expansion to those needing it. I am glad you had the chance to review the Garage Journal install thread. It was more of a place holder as I find time to move the information to a dedicated web site for hosting.

I believe you will be very pleased with the amount of data you will be able to obtain and track with the GEM and DB.

Both units are simply amazing and offer energy, temperature, pulse, tracking, which many cheaper units simply do not offer.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:06 pm

OWG wrote: - How many circuit breakers do you wish to monitor?

- What is the amperage of the above breakers?
Size Total
15A 23
20A 15
Double/240 30A 1
Double/240 50A 2
Grand Total 41
CT-Wise:

2 Split-200s
40 Micro-40s
2 Micro-80s

You may want to consider 1 GEM and 1 ECM-1240 as an option, that would give you 39 channels.

If you go with a DashBox, it has 2 COM ports so you can hook them both up. The STS cable is supported by both units.
OWG wrote:I read through your Garage Journal writeup and endorse the hardwired connection. IMHO the only thing better would be to integrate the dashbox as a daughter card within the GEM.
Teken wrote:Yes, in the ideal world all of the functions and services would be in one nice little box! :P But, that was not part of the development plan at the time. I do hope that the GEM will have the ability to expand beyond the 32 channels in the future.
We've discussed doing something like this in the future but that's awhile away. It'd eliminate the need for a WiFi or Ethernet module also since you can interface with the GEM through the DashBox through ports 8001/8002 (can be a wee-bit buggy, working out some small kinks), should be COM1/COM2 respectively.

One nice thing about it being modular is that existing ECM-1240 users could pick one up if they wanted to.

Expansion board is definitely on the road map, I can't really give a time estimate however. If you look at some of Tekens earlier pics there you can see the header above the ribbon cable where it'll connect. It will sit where the cover plate currently sits.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Dan
Are you sure you have a 200 Amp service ???
I have 44 breakers (beat you by 3, which is a LOT)
Mine are split into 2 breaker panels
One is a 200 amp panel, one is a 150 amp panel
Based on that, I believe the mains see it as a 350 Amp service
If I add up your breakers, there are 725 amps worth
The National Electric Code allows more breakers than the service can supply based on de-rating based on expected load during any 3 hour timeframe. It would take a LOT of de-rating to make that work. Even with a 350 Amp service, split 200's work on the mains. I believe the highest load I have seen in the last 5 months of monitoring was ~ 25 KW (I have 13 tons of AC and the outside fan went out on one of the units, it was drawing 10 KW - Great example of the GEM telling me I had a problem) In my case I cover almost every circuit with the 32 available on the GEM. Example I have the 2 breakers for the 220 of each air conditioner combined with the 1 breaker of the air handler on one channel, so 3 AC - 9 breakers take 3 channels. The breakers I don't monitor are a 220 circuit for a spa (Unused) a 220 circuit for electric stovetop (Unused - I have a gas stovetop) and a 220/50 circuit for a seldom used welder. FYI only for your own planning purposes.
...Barry
OWG

Post by OWG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Ben - thank you.

Barry - Definitely 200a. The house had some 30+ breakers on the old pushmatic 100a panel and sub panel prior to the upgrade/renovation.

Dan