New System Advice

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
ZackG

New System Advice

Post by ZackG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little advice on selecting a system. I tried to be very detailed with my first post, so my appologies for the length. Thank you in advance for reading this and offering up some advice.

First, a little background. I recently had a Solar PV system installed with Enphase microinverters. Included with this installation was the Enlighten monitoring software, so I am already capable of monitoring the power I am generating. I utilize net metering, so my electric meter currently displays net power consumed.

Initially I was looking for a means of monitoring my actual energy consumption (independent of my generation), and started researching other systems like the TED-5000. Then someone mentioned the Brultech systems. After a little more digging, I am nearly sold on a Brultech solution. However, I am uncertain on which system and would prefer some advice (1240 vs GEM), or if this is the best solution for me.

Goal:
My primary goal is to compare my PV generation vs my consumption vs my electric bill.

I already have my enlighten API automatically load PV data to PVOutput.org. Can Brultech automatically load to PVOutput without a computer? Are there other 3rd party sites that people would recommend where I can automatically load both my PV data and Brultech data?

While my initial goal was to monitor only the panel, I see definite advantages to monitoring individual circuits too, but this is not my primary goal.

Future Considerations
My 5 year plan includes buying an electric car and that will require a subpanel that I would want to monitor. Additionally, I have already invested in the "Almond+" kickstarter project and plan to have both Zigbee and ZWave home automation in the future. (I'm an automation engineer in my first home, so this will happen, but slowly). The Almond+ is scheduled to arrive in Sept, but who knows if I'll be able to communicate with the Brultech 1240 directly.

Options
As I see it, I can go with either the 1240 200 Zigbee package or the GEM Package. The GEM is a nice package, but is above my initial goal. This would be the all-in-one package with no obvious need for future expansion (except maybe more CTs later).

The 1240 200A Zigbee Package ($235) is more attractive price wise, and more of a stepping stone to slowly build as I need, but I'm concerned about the RS232 port. I do not have a serial port on any of my current computers, and as an automation engineer I've experienced real problems communicating via USB to Serial adapters. (Do you know how hard it is to find serial ports on new laptops? :) )
- Do people have any issues with the RS232?

I'm leaning towards buying a 1240-EM package and hooking it up to a PC for logging until the Almond+ arrives. This can save me some money on a gateway for the short term.

Finally, are there any electrical code issues in using a Brultech setup?

Thanks,
- Zack
Teken

Re: New System Advice

Post by Teken » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello Zack,

I will let Ben give you all the details as to what best suites your needs. I will however provide you some insight as to the other questions. I am of the mind set of spend your money once and spend it well.

I do realize that you indicated that the price point of the GEM may be above what you're looking at. But, keep in mind that you will be buying this device just once and it will provide you with 32 channels, 8 temperature, and 4 pulse inputs.

Brultech is working in concert with UDI who makes the ISY-994iZ IR Pro Home Automation controller. This controller can automate Insteon, Z-Wave devices. The Z-Wave portion is still under development with UDI but rest assured once its been fully developed it will be as impressive as it is for Insteon support.

If you purchase the GEM with Zigbee, and a ISY-994iZ IR Pro this will allow you to take the data from the GEM, and the ISY-994 will automate any of the Insteon / Z-Wave devices for you.

There are no installation issues with the ECM-1240 / GEM when working on the service panel. All you're doing is attaching the CT's to the branch circuits. The only NEC codes you need to keep in mind is to ensure all wiring is properly tied back, and the proper grommet is used where the CT wires exit the service panel.

The GEM supports many data packets along with 3rd party codes. I currently use the SEG to push all of my daily consumption / solar generation to this site. In case you're not aware Brultech is also producing a mini server called the Dash Box.

This mini server will store all of the data from the GEM. The benefit is that you have direct access to the data at all times and can view the web page from any network device. The major plus is that you won't be tied to any free site that may come and go. Or lose data during service maintenance windows.

This data is stored on site with you at all times, and is accessible at all times. My set up will have all three systems in place to have all the benefits stated above. I will have the first channe of the GEM talking to the ISY-994iZ IR Pro which will allow me to control any circuit in the home via Insteon.

Whether it be based on watts, kwh, voltage, polarized generation etc. The second channel will push all the data from the GEM to the Dash Box. The Dash Box in turn will push all the data to the SEG web site.

So in essence I will have fail over, redundancy, and varied tools to track my energy consumption / solar power generation.

The GEM can communicate via Ethernet, wireless, RS232, and Zigbee. As you can see if you spend your money once you will be ready for anything in the future.

Lastly, Brultech has continued to develop and bring new features that the older ECM-1240 will never have the ability to have. Also, you're restricted to only 7 channels for the ECM-1240 and to get more will result in you buying another unit.

At that point you have invested more than the GEM. Keep in mind you don't need to buy all the CT's at once.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm

ZackG wrote:Goal:
My primary goal is to compare my PV generation vs my consumption vs my electric bill.

I already have my enlighten API automatically load PV data to PVOutput.org. Can Brultech automatically load to PVOutput without a computer? Are there other 3rd party sites that people would recommend where I can automatically load both my PV data and Brultech data?

While my initial goal was to monitor only the panel, I see definite advantages to monitoring individual circuits too, but this is not my primary goal.
PVOutput.org is a possibility with the GEM as the GET Method looks simple enough, I'll pass this onto Paul.

Unfortunately, the ECM-1240 doesn't support any posting to free websites without the use of a computer. There are 2 pay services that are supported : http://www.brultech.com/products/ECM124 ... ftware.htm.

If you have a bit of technical knowledge, there's a possibility that you have something on your network (router, NAS, etc) already running that can run an instance of btmon.py (http://lancet.mit.edu/mwall/projects/power/) and fire off packets to different websites.
ZackG wrote: Future Considerations
My 5 year plan includes buying an electric car and that will require a subpanel that I would want to monitor. Additionally, I have already invested in the "Almond+" kickstarter project and plan to have both Zigbee and ZWave home automation in the future. (I'm an automation engineer in my first home, so this will happen, but slowly). The Almond+ is scheduled to arrive in Sept, but who knows if I'll be able to communicate with the Brultech 1240 directly.
Very interesting, if they have Python support, it can run a copy of btmon.py.

It won't be able to communicate directly through Zigbee without integration of our packet formats.

If you're adding a sub-panel, and if you want a GEM at a later point, you could dedicate the ECM-1240-X to your sub panel and use the GEM on your main panel.
ZackG wrote: Options
As I see it, I can go with either the 1240 200 Zigbee package or the GEM Package. The GEM is a nice package, but is above my initial goal. This would be the all-in-one package with no obvious need for future expansion (except maybe more CTs later).

The 1240 200A Zigbee Package ($235) is more attractive price wise, and more of a stepping stone to slowly build as I need, but I'm concerned about the RS232 port. I do not have a serial port on any of my current computers, and as an automation engineer I've experienced real problems communicating via USB to Serial adapters. (Do you know how hard it is to find serial ports on new laptops? :) )
We've had numerous issues, mainly adapters with Prolific chipsets (probably due to poor drivers).

If you go with a cable with FTDI or SiLabs chipset, they seem to work pretty well. We stock SiLabs cables that are pre-stripped, so no DB-9 cable is requires. I think we charge $20 for them.
ZackG wrote: I'm leaning towards buying a 1240-EM package and hooking it up to a PC for logging until the Almond+ arrives. This can save me some money on a gateway for the short term.
Not sure if the Securifi team has any interest in integrating energy monitors into their router. Would have to talk with them.
ZackG wrote:Finally, are there any electrical code issues in using a Brultech setup?
(copy and paste)

The ECM-1240 and GREENEYE MONITOR (GEM) operate as a “Class II” low voltage device. This requires that all external connected signals be a low voltage (<50V) and provided by Class II approved power supply and sensors.

All of our power supplies are UL, CSA or UL/c approved for use in USA and Canada. Most of our current transformers (CT) are UL/c listed. No direct line connections to the GEM are allowed. All signals must be galvanic isolated from the power-line.

Never install the GEM inside an electrical panel. A separate “low voltage” panel may be used when needed.

The GREENEYE MONITOR (GEM) installation requires the installation of current transformers (CT) installed inside the electrical service panel. This portion of the installation MUST be performed by a qualified electrician or individual. The installer must follow all local safety codes and use proper safety practices and equipment.

The qualified installer must be aware that main panels may still contain dangerous voltage levels even though the main breaker is in the “OFF” position.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ZackG

Post by ZackG » Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. It certainly gives me something to think about.

Question: How long do you anticipate the ECM-1240 to be supported by Brultech? Is this product nearing the end of it's lifecycle?

- Zack
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed May 01, 2013 11:44 am

ZackG wrote:Question: How long do you anticipate the ECM-1240 to be supported by Brultech? Is this product nearing the end of it's lifecycle?
We've pretty much reached the limit as far as what we can do with the ECM-1240 but it'll probably be around for awhile as a low-cost solution for those who only want to monitor a handful of circuits or those wanting to monitor a remote (sub) panel.

I sent an inquiry to Securifi to see if there's any interest on their end.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
CodyReid

Post by CodyReid » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 am

ZackG wrote:Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little advice on selecting a system. I tried to be very detailed with my first post, so my appologies for the length. Thank you in advance for reading this and offering up some advice.

First, a little background. I recently had a
solar panel installed with Enphase microinverters. Included with this installation was the Enlighten monitoring software, so I am already capable of monitoring the power I am generating. I utilize net metering, so my electric meter currently displays net power consumed.

Initially I was looking for a means of monitoring my actual energy consumption (independent of my generation), and started researching other systems like the TED-5000. Then someone mentioned the Brultech systems. After a little more digging, I am nearly sold on a Brultech solution. However, I am uncertain on which system and would prefer some advice (1240 vs GEM), or if this is the best solution for me.

Goal:

Future Considerations

Options

I'm leaning towards buying a 1240-EM package and hooking it up to a PC for logging until the Almond+ arrives. This can save me some money on a gateway for the short term.

Finally, are there any electrical code issues in using a Brultech setup?

Thanks,

- Zack
Very exciting project indeed..Sorry for posting in old post but were you able to complete it? Please share some more details.