Outdoor installation?

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
ivb

Outdoor installation?

Post by ivb » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Anyone mount their GEM outdoors? My panels are outdoor. How did you enclose it? I have a weatherproof box for a rain controller. The manual has the "DO NOT INSTALL IN A WET LOCATION", but I'd think within an enclosure where it doesn't get wet is okay.

There is an entry to the crawlspace area but i'd have to extend the leads around 3-4 feet. I only have 17 circuits to track, still learning about balanced/unbalanced (mainly so the $130/hour electrician doesn't rip me off) but there are 4 circuits that may need 2 for a total of 21 leads.

Thanks for any assistance.
Mustang65

Re: Outdoor installation?

Post by Mustang65 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:18 pm

I installed mine next to the Electrical Service panel located on the outside of my house, in 2017. It has been doing great since then. You can go to my website to see my installation.
Don

Website
http://www.how-to-doit.com/

Scroll down to the current enclosure if you do not want to read the entire story...
Last edited by Mustang65 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 pm

We actually had a GEM outside all winter testing out an RF module. Covered in snow/etc in its case and it wasn't terrible (did have some rust in the end). If you put it into a weatherproof box it should be fine. If it gets really hot, make sure you have some venting.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ivb

Post by ivb » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks guys, esp Mustang65 with pics.
Mustang65

Post by Mustang65 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:14 pm

ben wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 pm
We actually had a GEM outside all winter testing out an RF module. Covered in snow/etc in its case and it wasn't terrible (did have some rust in the end). If you put it into a weatherproof box it should be fine. If it gets really hot, make sure you have some venting.
As you can see on my website I have mine mounted on the EAST wall next to the Electrical Service Panel. So far, no rust anywhere. I did install a DS18B20 right on the board connector along with the CAT5 cable that goes to my HVAC unit where I have more DS18B20 sensors mounted inside the unit. The DS18B20 that is mounted on the GEM board gives me the inside box temperature. Everything is still working great!
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin