6 Panels / Net Metering / ISY integration

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
adamthp

6 Panels / Net Metering / ISY integration

Post by adamthp » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:56 pm

I posted some of this over on the Universal Devices Brultech Forum, but I haven't received much response. Ideally I would like to fully integrate a system with my ISY.

I'm very interested in buying a system to monitor my house. I haven't really got as far as eyeing up exactly what CTs yet as I'm just trying to get a grasp on the entire system.

I have attached a sketch of how I am envisioning this all would work.

I have just started a fairly large solar installation, so there are some changes being made to how my panels are being fed. I have a 400 amp service that will feed into an outdoor main lug panel. This will also be fed from 3 solar inverters and a generator (on the same incoming as the utility service). The 2 main 200 amp house panels will be fed out of the outdoor main lug panel, as will a 100 amp panel in my barn/workshop. Inside the house my 2 main 200 amp panels also sub feed another 200 amp panel in the house, a 100 amp panel to my recording studio, and another 100 amp panel out on my dock.

I can connect everything to the DashBox either by RS232 or ethernet.

So questions...Will the ISY support 2 GEMs and 4 ECM 1240s if they are all zigbee? Will the Brultech DashBox support the same? Am I correct in thinking the ISY will not support 3 GEMs?

Is it possible to have the DashBox monitor 3 GEMs and 3 or 4 ECM 1240s?

Can you only monitor net metering on the 2 normal channels of the ECM 1240? For the ECM 1240 on my main outdoor lug panel I was envision monitoring the incoming 400 amp feed and the 3 feeds coming from the 3 inverters.

On my two main 200 amp panels I'm thinking of of using 1 GEM and 1 ECM 1240.(If I'm limited to 2 GEMs for ISY) Is there any way to mix circuits from both panels over the GEM and ECM 1240. I have at least 40 channels I'd like to monitor over the two panels, but if I am maxed out on 2 GEMs and 4 ECM 1240s I think it's all I can do.

I appreciate any and all help!
Panel.jpeg
Panel.jpeg (397.32 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
ben
Site Admin

Re: 6 Panels / Net Metering / ISY integration

Post by ben » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:36 am

We only officially support up to 3 GEMs with the DashBox.

The DashBox logs all data to an SD card (32GB ships with 3 GEM packages, 16GB ships with 2 or less). Each GEM takes about 8GB of data a year (mainly due to the minute records) so the cards fill up fast.

Then you have the issue with wear/tear with the cards, we only source cards that explicitly mention MLC memory and ECC (did a lot of research into memory recommended with dashcams as they fill/erase SD cards daily).

There really isn't any limit to how many GEMs/ECMs/etc. the DashBox can support software-wise.

If you want to go past our supported limit, I would suggest one of the options below:

- Get a larger, highly rated, MicroSD card. Avoid value lines like Sandisk Ultra, Samsung Evo, etc. You want something that has high endurance.

- We've added the option of off-loading the database server onto your own server. There's a postgres user that can be setup to take a backup of the database using standard postgres tools (pg_dump specifically). The database connection on the DashBox can be switched over via its Settings section.

The ISY supports 2 GEMs or 4 ECM-1240s via Zigbee. The DashBox can also push state variables to the ISY. With state variables, we have had some reports that the ISY can get slow if it's under heavy use.

We do plan on integrating node support onto the DashBox. I'm not sure if it'll resolve the issues with the ISY being hammered. A fully occupied GEM can send 44 channels of data (32 channels, 8 temperature, 4 pulse) at once.

For the monitors to use, CTs, etc. post or email me over a list of panels, circuits in each panel (double/single pole and amperage), and the distance between panels. Preferably I'd say to use 3 GEMs over 2 GEMs and 4 ECM-1240s if possible.

CTs can be extended, we've had customers extend up to 100FT. CAT5/6 is recommended for extensions as its twisted pair and shielded (2 wires per CT). Try not to run parallel with power lines as they'll introduce noise.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com