A few question before purchasing a GEM

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
cly

A few question before purchasing a GEM

Post by cly » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm looking forward to ordering my GEM, but had a few question while I wait to hear back from sales support about the applications of the 25% discount on the SPLIT-170 CTs.

I live in Colorado, USA.

This is my panel: https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/pr ... h-ug-150a/

I have ready access to the lower section section (load center), and I assume an electrician can get access to the upper section (meter). The meter connects to the load center via a pair of internal bus bars. There appears to be very little space between the exit from the meter section to the entrance of the load center section.

Here's the questions:
1. Do I need the SPLIT-170 CTs for this setup, or could I use the SPLIT-200 CTs?
2. Is anyone aware of any restrictions that would prevent putting the main CTs in the meter section of the box?

I'd gladly have the main CTs place in the lower section, but there are plastic guards between the top of the load center and the panel service breaker. I'm not sure if these could/should be trimmed down to accommodate the CTs. It appears there around 3/8" clearance in the area as things stand today.

It's also not clear if there is room below the panel service breaker to access the bus bars freely.

Some other questions:
3. What is the length of the cord for the included power supply for the GEM?
4. What is the length of the cord for the included PT for the GEM?

I'm trying to see if I have enough to reach the current outlet in my garage, or if I'll need to add a new outlet closer to the source.

Thanks for any and all answers.

Cheers,
cly
GaryFunk

Re: A few question before purchasing a GEM

Post by GaryFunk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:47 pm

cly wrote:Hello everyone,

I live in Colorado, USA.

cly
I'm in SW Denver.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 am

cly wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm looking forward to ordering my GEM, but had a few question while I wait to hear back from sales support about the applications of the 25% discount on the SPLIT-170 CTs.

I live in Colorado, USA.

This is my panel: https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/pr ... h-ug-150a/

I have ready access to the lower section section (load center), and I assume an electrician can get access to the upper section (meter). The meter connects to the load center via a pair of internal bus bars. There appears to be very little space between the exit from the meter section to the entrance of the load center section.

Here's the questions:
1. Do I need the SPLIT-170 CTs for this setup, or could I use the SPLIT-200 CTs?
2. Is anyone aware of any restrictions that would prevent putting the main CTs in the meter section of the box?

I'd gladly have the main CTs place in the lower section, but there are plastic guards between the top of the load center and the panel service breaker. I'm not sure if these could/should be trimmed down to accommodate the CTs. It appears there around 3/8" clearance in the area as things stand today.

It's also not clear if there is room below the panel service breaker to access the bus bars freely.

Some other questions:
3. What is the length of the cord for the included power supply for the GEM?
4. What is the length of the cord for the included PT for the GEM?

I'm trying to see if I have enough to reach the current outlet in my garage, or if I'll need to add a new outlet closer to the source.

Thanks for any and all answers.

Cheers,
cly

1. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get either CT in there. Both CTs would work if they fit, the Split-170s are more suited for bus bars however due to their shape.

How many breakers do you have in the bottom portion and will you be using the DashBox?

3. approx. 4 1/2 FT for the power supply
4. approx. 5FT for the PT.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
cly

Post by cly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks for the update Ben.

It's a full panel. 20 slots total, but the majority of the slots are dual/quad breakers. I will be using the Dashbox wired to the network in my house. Data from the GEM will be via the wifi module.

General layout of the load center, from top to bottom is:
Hole in the section separating the meter from the load center.
Pair of bus bars passing through that opening
These go to the service breaker
I'm assuming a similar set of bars leave the service breaker, heading down to the branch circuit breakers.

I'll see if I can manage a picture sometime this evening.

I guess in the worst case I could forgo monitoring the the mains input if I have too. There's a smart meter, and I can download the data with 1 minute resolution from our utility.

I'm planning on getting one of the System 2-D (Donut CTs) setups which includes the DashBox. The GEM will be in my garage on the other side of the panel. (Panel is on the outside of the house). I'll use the Wifi module to talk to my WIFI and setup up with the DashBox inside my house wired into a router.

Current CT allocations would look like this:
36 total micro-40s (18+18)
2 total micro-80s to cover the single 60A circuit that I'm planning to have installed for and EV charger.
Either the 2 Split-200s, or 2 Split-170s

There's enough 240V breakers to make that work with the 32 slots of the GEM. If I really need to, I might stack some of the single phase circuits on a single channel if I need to free up an extra channel. (i.e. if/when I get solar for instance).

Interesting thing about my panel is the main power comes in from the bottom, and runs up the the inside of the load center in a cordoned off channel up to the meter section. So, the wires I want to monitor are there, just completely inaccessible.

Thanks again.
cly
cly

Post by cly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:25 pm

I've attached a picture of the top of my panel. (Looks like it went in rotated 180 degrees. :( ) [So, the bottom of the picture is the top of the panel]

The gap between the top and the black standoffs around the bus bar is 3/8 of an inch or so.

There's doesn't appear to be any way to get CTs below the service breaker.

The options I see are:
1. Somehow trim down the plastic to make more of a gap. (Doesn't sound like a good idea on a live panel)
2. See if it's possible to install the CTs in the upper section.
3. Forgo monitoring the mains input, and just focus on covering all the branch circuits.

What's the return policy on the CTs if options 1 or 2 don't workout?

Cheers,
cly
Attachments
Top of panel from meter to service breaker.
Top of panel from meter to service breaker.
IMG_0805.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 16977 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:43 am

I brought up the spec sheet and it says it should connect via wires above. You should be able to put 2 Split-200s on those wires.

Can you grab a picture above the main breaker?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
cly

Post by cly » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Ben,

That is the main breaker, I have a 150A service.

Those bus bars extend into the meter section above. (Recall the picture is rotate 180 degrees despite that fact that it appears up right on my computer before uploading)

From what I can tell, those bus bars connect in to another set in the meter section by overlapping.

Something like this:

Code: Select all

meter 
   |       |
  ||       ||
  |         |
    breaker
I'm fairly certain if I or an electrician can get access to the meter section of the panel, the CT 170/200 will fit. It's just a question of if the code or the city will allow that.

You mention the CT200s should fit. Does that also apply equally for the CT170s?

Thanks,
cly