240V single-phase 50Hz

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
JonoNZ

240V single-phase 50Hz

Post by JonoNZ » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 am

Hi,

Electrical Engineer from NZ here with a few questions. Hopefully it's not too much hassle.

Standard questions:
No particular budget.
WiFi comms.
GEM, most likely
1 or 2 pulse counters (water meter, possible future gas meter install)
Single Phase, 240V, 50Hz

CTs:
Breakers: 18 total, 1x32A, 14x20A, 1x16A and 2x10A subcircuits (so I'm assuming 18x 40A CTs and 1x 80A microCT or 100A split).
No 2-pole breakers (not a situation in NZ)
63A main switch

Specific questions:

I have a single panel on a 240V single-phase (not split) 50Hz supply in New Zealand that I'd like to monitor. Are there any specific considerations with how the setup works with a single phase 50Hz or 240V single phase supply?

Also, we have a ripple control relay in the external meter box for our water heater supply. This means the main house distribution board has a single 63A feed and a separate, switched 20A feed. So total power usage by the house is the sum of the 63A feed and the 20A feed, with the 63A feed then being split off to the breakers listed below and the 20A switched feed being a separately monitored. Can the GEM/Dashbox combo be configured to display that correctly or do the 63A and 20A feed need to be put through the same CT (or combined using 2x 80A CTs)?

I have a linux PC that I leave on 100% of the time but I like the idea of having the Dashbox to make the whole thing more standalone and hassle free. Are there any advantages to having the Dashbox connected to the GEM unit via RS232 other than just not needing the Ethernet/WiFi module? What are the advantages to having the WiFi module as well as the dashbox?

Also, are there any particular strategies that people use for monitoring individual loads? Here with 20A 240V subcircuits we frequently have heavy loads like dryers, heat pumps etc. on just generic subcircuits with other socket outlets. I assume the options are extending the CTs to the point of load (noise, wire run), run a new subcircuit or wire out to the load (cost, wire run) or use a separate monitor at the point of load. Any suggestions for the 'best' way to do this?
ben
Site Admin

Re: 240V single-phase 50Hz

Post by ben » Tue May 26, 2015 10:32 am

There's nothing special to consider, shouldn't be any issues.

The DashBox can handle that, you can specify multiple circuits as "Main". Those marked mains will be considered your overall consumption.

The advantage to having the GEM hooked directly to the DashBox is it'll run independently from your network. So if your switch/router/etc. ever goes down, it'll still log packets. Given your location, it's best to purchase both right away also if you're going to get a DashBox due to shipping costs.

The GEM can put out two packet formats, one on each COM port. COM2 is restricted to fixed-length packets. So, you can have the DashBox run on COM2 of the GEM, and then have WiFi on COM1 to feed into whatever else you want to play with.

We've had people extend via CAT5 cable without issues, but that'll be completely environment-dependent.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com