Need to monitor my Geothermal and Pump consumption

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
digitalgeek

Need to monitor my Geothermal and Pump consumption

Post by digitalgeek » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:11 am

I have a 200 amp main panel with 2 100amp sub-panels.

I have high electrical usage due to wrong sizing of my pump different issue). what i'm trying to capture is pump consumption and usage (logging data over time and displaying it) with geothermal usage at the same time.

Which kit should I buy?

My main requirements:
- Monitor Main panel (200amp)
- Monitor Sub-panel for geo monitoring (100amp), no need to monitor the individual circuits on it
- Monitor the circuit for the well pump is on the main panel with 240v
- would be nice to monitor few additional 240 circuits and 120v (depends on package)
- of course i need a mean to display the info, I'm computer savvy but not a developer. So would like to connect to my home network (wired or wireless) and display information Excel is fine, if you have software to install would be great, would like to understand the specifics.
- what is the frequency for data capturing ?

I also noticed that you have temp sensors which are idea to monitor my geo. Ideally i would like a path to upgrade in the future. Do you sell the temp sensors?
ben
Site Admin

Re: Need to monitor my Geothermal and Pump consumption

Post by ben » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:23 am

digitalgeek wrote:I have a 200 amp main panel with 2 100amp sub-panels.

I have high electrical usage due to wrong sizing of my pump different issue). what i'm trying to capture is pump consumption and usage (logging data over time and displaying it) with geothermal usage at the same time.

Which kit should I buy?

My main requirements:
- Monitor Main panel (200amp)
- Monitor Sub-panel for geo monitoring (100amp), no need to monitor the individual circuits on it
- Monitor the circuit for the well pump is on the main panel with 240v
- would be nice to monitor few additional 240 circuits and 120v (depends on package)
- of course i need a mean to display the info, I'm computer savvy but not a developer. So would like to connect to my home network (wired or wireless) and display information Excel is fine, if you have software to install would be great, would like to understand the specifics.
- what is the frequency for data capturing ?

I also noticed that you have temp sensors which are idea to monitor my geo. Ideally i would like a path to upgrade in the future. Do you sell the temp sensors?
If you want to be able to use temp sensors, you'll have to go with our GreenEye Monitor.

I'd recommend a GEM package (Packages A and K). Either WiFi/Ethernet, or use a Serial-to-USB cable if not using a DashBox (our data logging server).

Package A will take care of your 200A mains.

Package K will give you the 2 Micro-100s for the Geothermal sub panel and some extra CTs to play around with.

Software-wise, btmon.py will likely work for your purposes (http://lancet.mit.edu/~mwall/projects/power).

Frequency of the data logging depends on the software, the GEM can send packets up to 1 second (via binary) or ~5 seconds (with HTTP formats).

We sell temp. sensors, you could also source your own (DS18B20 with the VDD wire).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
digitalgeek

Post by digitalgeek » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:25 pm

How long are the wires for the rings? and clips?

Is the dashbox free? does it keep data?

Do you ship with latest firmware?

I did not see the temp sensors on the site, where? how many can I install? what wire is needed to extend the range of the temp sensors?

how fast do you ship and how long to Stoneham MA?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:05 pm

digitalgeek wrote:How long are the wires for the rings? and clips?

Is the dashbox free? does it keep data?

Do you ship with latest firmware?

I did not see the temp sensors on the site, where? how many can I install? what wire is needed to extend the range of the temp sensors?

how fast do you ship and how long to Stoneham MA?
The DashBox is our hardware data logging server available in our store.

We don't currently have temperature sensors up in our store but I'll add them today.

The GEM supports up to 8 temperature sensors, they're 1-wire. You'll likely want to read up here: http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-n ... mvp/id/148 on making a long range reliable one wire network.

http://mypowerpanel.com/ has a lot more information on the GEM.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
digitalgeek

Post by digitalgeek » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:30 am

If i get the Dashbox, do i still need to buy the communication modules (ethernet)?

so in this case, the greeneye connects to dashbox using the RS-232 cable and then the Dashbox is connected to my LAN through either wifi or ethernet cable.

Does the dashbox store data or just real time?
Teken

Post by Teken » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:24 am

digitalgeek wrote:If i get the Dashbox, do i still need to buy the communication modules (ethernet)?

so in this case, the greeneye connects to dashbox using the RS-232 cable and then the Dashbox is connected to my LAN through either wifi or ethernet cable.
If you purchase the GEM before the DB you will need the Ethernet module to connect and make initial settings etc. This also allows you to send data to SEG in the interim if this is what you like or any other 3rd party data server.

For only $40.00 extra you are assured flexibility and connectivity to any resources which may be required in the future.
The Dash Box stores all of the historic data from the GEM: Energy, Pulse, Volts / Current, Temperature. It will also display real time events as they happen in the Dash Board.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:16 am

digitalgeek wrote:If i get the Dashbox, do i still need to buy the communication modules (ethernet)?

The DashBox exposes the GEM via Ports 8001 (COM1 on the DB) or 8002 (COM2 on the DB).

The DashBox stores around 2 years worth of data for a single GEM, minute and hour data. Real-time is held temporarily in memory.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
priebed

Post by priebed » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi,
I saw your post and had to comment.
I originally bought the GreenEye Monitor package because I knew something had to be wrong with my Geothermal furnace. With the GEM and the free site SmartEnergyGroups.com I was able to clearly see that my Geo was jumping up to just over 15,000 watts on what the installer told me was the Geo Electric Backup circuit.
My geo is a what they call a quad, which means that with it's heat pump, it heats the main floor of the house with forced air, and also heats water for my in floor heat in the basement. The problem was all in the configuration of the furnace. The way it was configured, when the geo was heating the water for the floor, and the thermostat upstairs was calling for heat the furnace would keep heating the water with the heat pump, and simply turning on the 15kw electric backup to heat the main floor.

I called GeoSmart directly, and got in touch with an extremely knowledgeable guy there who told me why the furnace was doing what it was. The really cool thing was I gave him a link to the dashboard I had set up on SEG so he could see exactly what my furnace was drawing in real time. A couple dip switch changes later, and now the furnace works great. If the main floor calls for heat at the same time as the furnace is heating water for the floor, it will "take a break" from heating the floor, switch to forced air for a few minutes (until the thermostat is satisfied) and then switch back to the basement.

Bottom line is the $500+ I spent on the GEM and CT package has paid for itself over and over again. I do plan on expanding my system to include every circuit in my panel, but for now it was money well spent.

Good Luck
David
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:38 am

priebed wrote:Hi,
I saw your post and had to comment.
I originally bought the GreenEye Monitor package because I knew something had to be wrong with my Geothermal furnace. With the GEM and the free site SmartEnergyGroups.com I was able to clearly see that my Geo was jumping up to just over 15,000 watts on what the installer told me was the Geo Electric Backup circuit.
My geo is a what they call a quad, which means that with it's heat pump, it heats the main floor of the house with forced air, and also heats water for my in floor heat in the basement. The problem was all in the configuration of the furnace. The way it was configured, when the geo was heating the water for the floor, and the thermostat upstairs was calling for heat the furnace would keep heating the water with the heat pump, and simply turning on the 15kw electric backup to heat the main floor.

I called GeoSmart directly, and got in touch with an extremely knowledgeable guy there who told me why the furnace was doing what it was. The really cool thing was I gave him a link to the dashboard I had set up on SEG so he could see exactly what my furnace was drawing in real time. A couple dip switch changes later, and now the furnace works great. If the main floor calls for heat at the same time as the furnace is heating water for the floor, it will "take a break" from heating the floor, switch to forced air for a few minutes (until the thermostat is satisfied) and then switch back to the basement.

Bottom line is the $500+ I spent on the GEM and CT package has paid for itself over and over again. I do plan on expanding my system to include every circuit in my panel, but for now it was money well spent.

Good Luck
David
Hello David,

That was a great story and is quite telling about proper installation and knowing how a system should operate etc. Would you be so kind and share with the forum members what the before and after KWH consumed is vs before the changes.

Any graphs / charts for the visual learners would be great to see. :mrgreen:

I can only imagine how huge your electrical bill was! :shock: :lol:
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10