Pre-sale GEM configuration questions

If you need help deciding on what monitor to get, which current transformers should you purchase for your panel, or anything else along these lines, start a thread here.
jsp00a

Pre-sale GEM configuration questions

Post by jsp00a » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi-
I'm getting ready to order 3 GEM units and I'd like some help confirming what CTs to order.

I have a 200A service and two existing breaker panels. They are quite a distance apart, so I don't think using a single GEM is feasible. Also, because the circuits are divided between the two panels in a somewhat haphazard manner, I don't think I can get the desired level of precision without having CTs on every breaker. My electrician will be adding a third in the garage at the same time that he puts in the GEMs for the existing panels, and at some point in the next year I will add a solar PV system. As a result I'm currently planning to install 3 GEMs. But, of course, If you can think of a better way to accomplish this, I'd love some feedback and any alternative suggestions.

As for CTs: I count the following # of breakers in the two existing panels:
1 dual-pole 200A (2x100A)
2 dual-pole 80A (2x40A) breakers
1 dual-pole 60A (2x30A) breaker
24 20A breakers
11 15A breakers
What is the correct quantity and type of the corresponding CTs?

Also, I had a question about using the XBee module that I'm hoping someone here can help answer: I have an existing ZigBee HA mesh network; can the XBee messages be repeated by the existing network, or would I require a separate ZigBee coordinator and nodes? How do GEM users typically use the XBee module: simply as a bridge to an Ethernet connection, or are you aware of any users successfully joining a GEM to an existing ZigBee mesh network?

thanks for any help!
Teken

Re: Pre-sale GEM configuration questions

Post by Teken » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:58 pm

jsp00a wrote:Hi-
I'm getting ready to order 3 GEM units and I'd like some help confirming what CTs to order.

I have a 200A service and two existing breaker panels. They are quite a distance apart, so I don't think using a single GEM is feasible. Also, because the circuits are divided between the two panels in a somewhat haphazard manner, I don't think I can get the desired level of precision without having CTs on every breaker. My electrician will be adding a third in the garage at the same time that he puts in the GEMs for the existing panels, and at some point in the next year I will add a solar PV system. As a result I'm currently planning to install 3 GEMs. But, of course, If you can think of a better way to accomplish this, I'd love some feedback and any alternative suggestions.

As for CTs: I count the following # of breakers in the two existing panels:
1 dual-pole 200A (2x100A)
2 dual-pole 80A (2x40A) breakers
1 dual-pole 60A (2x30A) breaker
24 20A breakers
11 15A breakers
What is the correct quantity and type of the corresponding CTs?

Also, I had a question about using the XBee module that I'm hoping someone here can help answer: I have an existing ZigBee HA mesh network; can the XBee messages be repeated by the existing network, or would I require a separate ZigBee coordinator and nodes? How do GEM users typically use the XBee module: simply as a bridge to an Ethernet connection, or are you aware of any users successfully joining a GEM to an existing ZigBee mesh network?

thanks for any help!
As I understand ZigBee has several protocols one of which is the HA, Energy, etc. Brultech will need to let you know if their current Zigbee solution will connect to your HA network. I am currently using the UDI ISY-994iZ Pro to connect my GEM to my Insteon network.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 am

I'm not sure if it's possible to connect modules running in AT mode to a HA network (HA usually runs in API mode). It may be possible to do so if it's setup similar to how UDI connects up with us (http://www.universal-devices.com/docs/p ... 0Guide.pdf).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jsp00a

Post by jsp00a » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:48 am

OK thanks for the responses on the ZigBee piece, sounds like I should not expect it to integrate with my existing ZigBee HA network.

I could still use some guidance on which CTs to order.

I'm guessing I should use Micro-40s for the 15A and 20A units (qty. 38)? I would have preferred the Micro-50s given the higher accuracy but it appears these will be out of stock for the foreseeable future, and these appear to be the next best choice.

Also, for the dual-pole breakers, I'm unclear whether I can use 1 CT for each pole, or if I *must* use a single CT for the combined amperage.

Thanks!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:40 am

jsp00a wrote: I'm guessing I should use Micro-40s for the 15A and 20A units (qty. 38)? I would have preferred the Micro-50s given the higher accuracy but it appears these will be out of stock for the foreseeable future, and these appear to be the next best choice.
We are getting some, but not sure when. Could be anywhere from 3-6 weeks.
jsp00a wrote: Also, for the dual-pole breakers, I'm unclear whether I can use 1 CT for each pole, or if I *must* use a single CT for the combined amperage.
You can use 1 CT per pole for every dual-pole breaker if you'd like. If you know there's no neutral, you can just monitor 1 side then enable X2 on the GEM as both sides will draw the same.

Any idea what you'll be using software-wise?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jsp00a

Post by jsp00a » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:02 am

Thanks!

Re: software, i haven't thought that far ahead. I have a license to CQC, which has support for GEM. alternatively, I've thought about getting the Dashbox server, but I need to do more research.

So, to confirm, it sounds like I should order the following CTs:
  • 1 dual-pole 200A (2x100A) => 2 Micro-100s (is there a reason to prefer the Split-100s?)
  • 2 dual-pole 80A (2x40A) breakers => 2 Micro-40s
  • 1 dual-pole 60A (2x30A) breaker => 2 Micro-40s
  • 24 20A breakers => 24 Micro-40s
  • 11 15A breakers => 11 Micro-40s
  • .. and 2 Split-200s for the service?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:38 am

jsp00a wrote:Thanks!

Re: software, i haven't thought that far ahead. I have a license to CQC, which has support for GEM. alternatively, I've thought about getting the Dashbox server, but I need to do more research.

So, to confirm, it sounds like I should order the following CTs:
  • 1 dual-pole 200A (2x100A) => 2 Micro-100s (is there a reason to prefer the Split-100s?)
  • 2 dual-pole 80A (2x40A) breakers => 2 Micro-40s
  • 1 dual-pole 60A (2x30A) breaker => 2 Micro-40s
Thanks for that link to the CQC GEM support, was going to ask them for a link to it. You can always add a DashBox later.

Once common misconception is what you have listed, that a 200A dual pole breaker is just 2 100A legs. It's actually 2 200A legs, meaning either leg can pull 200A at any time.
  • 1 dual-pole 200A => 2 Split-200s
  • 2 dual-pole 80A breakers => 4 Micro-80s
  • 1 dual-pole 60A breaker => 2 Micro-80s
What's the amperage on the service?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.