Cumulative or incremental data reporting

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
rnoble

Cumulative or incremental data reporting

Post by rnoble » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:47 am

Hello,

I'm new here and considering purchasing a GEM. I wanted to introduce myself and also post a question. I'm a mechanical engineer living in West Michigan. I absolutely love projects related to automation and making things more intuitive and user friendly. I've done a lot of work with home security/automation, home networking, vehicle security and automation, etc... I also have a passion for making things as efficient as possible and minimizing the cost of recurring consumable resources. In March I purchased a Chevrolet Volt and have still kept my electricity consumption below that of my neighbors. I hope to use the GEM to raise awareness of electricity consumption and also reduce my consumption. I also have plans and am working towards a single-axis sun-tracking PV Array. Enough about my OCD tendencies... see my question below...

Is the data reported by GEM cumulative or incremental? What I mean by this, is each packet reporting data relative to the previous packet, or is it overall data since the GEM was "initiated"?

I'm wondering because I'd like to host monitoring software on my home server which shuts down between midnight and 10am (to conserve energy). If the data is recorded cumulatively, the data sent while my server is down wouldn't be lost, just tallied when connection is re-established at 10am.
Teken

Re: Cumulative or incremental data reporting

Post by Teken » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 am

rnoble wrote:Hello,

I'm new here and considering purchasing a GEM. I wanted to introduce myself and also post a question. I'm a mechanical engineer living in West Michigan. I absolutely love projects related to automation and making things more intuitive and user friendly. I've done a lot of work with home security/automation, home networking, vehicle security and automation, etc... I also have a passion for making things as efficient as possible and minimizing the cost of recurring consumable resources. In March I purchased a Chevrolet Volt and have still kept my electricity consumption below that of my neighbors. I hope to use the GEM to raise awareness of electricity consumption and also reduce my consumption. I also have plans and am working towards a single-axis sun-tracking PV Array. Enough about my OCD tendencies... see my question below...

Is the data reported by GEM cumulative or incremental? What I mean by this, is each packet reporting data relative to the previous packet, or is it overall data since the GEM was "initiated"?

I'm wondering because I'd like to host monitoring software on my home server which shuts down between midnight and 10am (to conserve energy). If the data is recorded cumulatively, the data sent while my server is down wouldn't be lost, just tallied when connection is re-established at 10am.
Ryan,

I know this question was posed awhile ago. But, thought it should be clearly answered by Brultech for those in the future.

I will let Ben answer the two questions you posed above. But, will state in my (laymen) experience the GEM does not buffer the data. Meaning if your server was shut down there would indeed be a gap in data.

At this point given the fact you have already purchased the GEM / Dash Box. One of the feature requests I had asked Brultech was to buffer the DB and if it saw that the SEG was down. It would know at what point the last send packet was pushed.

From there, the outstanding data would be pushed to the SEG filling in the missing time / energy values from the GEM / DB.

Please add your voice to this feature request located here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=983
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Re: Cumulative or incremental data reporting

Post by ben » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:46 am

rnoble wrote: Is the data reported by GEM cumulative or incremental? What I mean by this, is each packet reporting data relative to the previous packet, or is it overall data since the GEM was "initiated"?
Each packet is relative to the previous packet. The GEM has 2 Wattseconds counters and a seconds counter which are used for all calculations. The Wattseconds counters are 5 byte counters that rollover.

For those who want to dive in even further, all of our developer documentation is available here: http://www.brultech.com/home/software/i ... etsoft/1/1.
Teken wrote: I will let Ben answer the two questions you posed above. But, will state in my (laymen) experience the GEM does not buffer the data. Meaning if your server was shut down there would indeed be a gap in data.
If the server goes down, you lose individual records but still get an average of watts and total kWh used within the period (unless for some reason it's down long enough for the counter to wrap around twice).

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com