Getting Started

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Getting Started

Post by ben » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:54 am

Teken wrote:I just checked something in the latest set up tool v2.8 The tool does indicate that the following CT values are these:

Micro 40: Type 211, Range 4
Micro 50: Type 210, Range 4
Micro 80: Type 212, Range 3

Ben will need to confirm for you if the values will affect the readings in large range.

Split CT: 100, 200, 400 = Type 231, Range 2 <-- These all appear to be the same now?

Teken . . .
I need to update the program, I'm not quite sure currently. It's left up there basically for real-time viewing and is pretty outdated.

I've disabled the updating of channels for now until I get the chance to update it as its adding a fair bit of confusion. Although it may be a bit clunky, please use the GEM internal website to configure CTs.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
priebed

Post by priebed » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks, I'm getting the hang of this.

I have been using the GEM's internal web page now for configuration of channels, and by swapping some wires I think I'm showing much more accurate results. I think the mains are now showing accurate information, and I've adjusted some of the CT wires for the dryer channel which now shows 3500 watts to 5500 watts when in use depending on the heat setting, instead of the 350 or so watts which was wishful thinking.
The current challenge is getting SEG to recognize my device.
you will select from the drop down box format 14 New SEG Format/Feb2013. You must also ensure that your GEM is set up to send to the SEG. Below I have also provided you a screen capture of the settings.
I don't know if it's my browser or what, but I have set the Primary packet format okay, but I've tried to set the Primary packet send interval, and most of the options seem to be greyed out, including the option for SEG. Also I should mention that my screen looks a bit different from the sample posted by Teken. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 pm

priebed wrote:Thanks, I'm getting the hang of this.

I have been using the GEM's internal web page now for configuration of channels, and by swapping some wires I think I'm showing much more accurate results. I think the mains are now showing accurate information, and I've adjusted some of the CT wires for the dryer channel which now shows 3500 watts to 5500 watts when in use depending on the heat setting, instead of the 350 or so watts which was wishful thinking.
you will select from the drop down box format 14 New SEG Format/Feb2013. You must also ensure that your GEM is set up to send to the SEG. Below I have also provided you a screen capture of the settings.
I don't know if it's my browser or what, but I have set the Primary packet format okay, but I've tried to set the Primary packet send interval, and most of the options seem to be greyed out, including the option for SEG. Also I should mention that my screen looks a bit different from the sample posted by Teken. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
What COM / Engine firmware are you on? If you're not at the latest please do take the time to update both.

Please note you must update the COM firmware first than the Engine. If you're coming from COM 1.70 please ensure you follow the power down procedure to ensure the firmware is properly loaded.

Lastly, please ensure you download the SEG set up manual in the Brultech manual gallery. It will state all of the IP / DNS address to populate into the EtherX tool / Java Setup Tool / GEM Internal web page.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 pm

priebed wrote:Thanks, I'm getting the hang of this.

Thanks
Can you take a screenshot?

When using the EtherX software, and directing at SEG, make sure your Server Port is set to 80. The Server Port is used in conjunction with the Use DNS settings; therefore, if it's set to anything different you won't have communication to SEG.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
priebed

Post by priebed » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware and am having a problem. Following the instructions I 0'd the COMM settings, and then ran the updater, selecting the c file first.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.83 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Unfortunately I never get beyond what the screen shows. It just seems to hang.
Checking the lights on the GEM, when I first click start I see the left light flash a few times, but then it goes a solid red, and stays that way until I reset it. Upon reset I can access it normally, but a retry of the update has the same results.
I have been doing this on a wired network, but through my hub, and not directly connected to the unit.

Any ideas?
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

priebed wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware and am having a problem. Following the instructions I 0'd the COMM settings, and then ran the updater, selecting the c file first.
Capture.JPG
Unfortunately I never get beyond what the screen shows. It just seems to hang.
Checking the lights on the GEM, when I first click start I see the left light flash a few times, but then it goes a solid red, and stays that way until I reset it. Upon reset I can access it normally, but a retry of the update has the same results.
I have been doing this on a wired network, but through my hub, and not directly connected to the unit.

Any ideas?
Hello,

If you have not done so you need to set the GEM to *Server* using any of the two network tools. You can use the EtherX or GEM Network Tool. You will of course use the same IP address for the GEM along with the same port. If the port for the GEM is 7755, you will use this port.

Once you launch the Firmware Upgrade Tool. The IP and port should self populate if not please enter the required IP / Ports.

You should be good from there.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Regards

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
priebed

Post by priebed » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried a number of things but unfortunately nothing seems to work. When I click on Start, the System LED light flashes a few times, pauses, then flashes again a few times, and then goes red, and stays there. The red light stays on for a couple minutes, and while it's on the unit doesn't seem to respond properly, but after a minute or so it goes back to green and seems to response properly. I've tried server mode as you suggest, but it didn't make a difference. I did notice in the firmware upgrade manual it stated to make sure that was set to mixed, but either way it didn't make a difference. I've also tried to load 2.13 in case the firmware needs to be upgraded one step at a time, but that didn't work.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (66.84 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
I did not try to load the eng update first as there's a warning against that.
Any other ideas?
priebed

Post by priebed » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 pm

But wait... I got a bit further.
I don't know exactly which step helped me upgrade the firmware, but I was connecting to the GEM through my router. I didn't think it would firewall anything from one internal port to another, wireless or wired, but I plugged in a dumb switch, and connected the GEM, my laptop, and an uplink to the router and connected to it that way. The other thing I read somewhere was to set the baud rate to 19200, so I set it to that. One of those changes seemed to work as I was able to upload both firmware files fine.

So, now that I'm up to date I set the com values back, set the baud rate back, verified that packet format was set to new SEG, but still can't discover the device. It reports that it does find the site, but no device.
Any more suggestions?
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 am

priebed wrote:But wait... I got a bit further.
I don't know exactly which step helped me upgrade the firmware, but I was connecting to the GEM through my router. I didn't think it would firewall anything from one internal port to another, wireless or wired, but I plugged in a dumb switch, and connected the GEM, my laptop, and an uplink to the router and connected to it that way. The other thing I read somewhere was to set the baud rate to 19200, so I set it to that. One of those changes seemed to work as I was able to upload both firmware files fine.

So, now that I'm up to date I set the com values back, set the baud rate back, verified that packet format was set to new SEG, but still can't discover the device. It reports that it does find the site, but no device.
Any more suggestions?
Hello Proebed,

Back in the day before a lot of this stuff was automated you had to ensure that the stream name was correctly populated in the SEG site. What you should see is 32 channels for the GEM, 8 temp, and 4 pulse, and voltage in the SEG site.

When you select any of the *Streams* there is an *edit* tab. Once you click on that edit tab scroll all the way down and you should see a box called *Technical:*

There is a box called stream name: This name is the actual data being sent from the GEM and its labeled / specifically spelled out name is what is being pushed / connected to the SEG.

Energy (KWH) is called e_1 <-- This naming convention goes for all channels such as: e_2, e_3 etc

Power (Watts) is called p_1, p_2, etc

Teken . . .
Attachments
Stream.PNG
Stream.PNG (3.72 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
Teken . . .

ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:30 am

priebed wrote:Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried a number of things but unfortunately nothing seems to work. When I click on Start, the System LED light flashes a few times, pauses, then flashes again a few times, and then goes red, and stays there. The red light stays on for a couple minutes, and while it's on the unit doesn't seem to respond properly, but after a minute or so it goes back to green and seems to response properly. I've tried server mode as you suggest, but it didn't make a difference. I did notice in the firmware upgrade manual it stated to make sure that was set to mixed, but either way it didn't make a difference. I've also tried to load 2.13 in case the firmware needs to be upgraded one step at a time, but that didn't work.
The attachment Capture2.JPG is no longer available
I did not try to load the eng update first as there's a warning against that.
Any other ideas?
Is this the same setup you're trying to connect to SEG with? Should look something like this:
SEG.jpg
SEG.jpg (96.33 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.