ECM-1240 to GEM migration

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Ira

ECM-1240 to GEM migration

Post by Ira » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Thinking about upgrading from three ECM-1240's to a GEM for the extra channels. My current setup is three ECM's talking wirelessly to an EtherBee gateway mounted a few inches away. I have a fourth ECM-1240 wired to a EtherPort, but I'm not looking to change it (it's in an outbuilding).

All of the CT wires have been extended about 30 feet using Cat5E cables. Several of the channels have various size resistors across them to make things work correctly. I'm monitoring the mains, several 240V devices (A/C, oven, water well pump), and about fifteen 120V 20-amp circuits.

My preference is to get a GEM with the optional wired ethernet port and eliminate the EtherBee gateway (looks like its power supply just died on me).

I also use CQC (Charmed Quark Controller HA software) to gather channel data from the engine, although I'm not doing anything with the data.

So are there any considerations I need to know about if I go forward with this migration?

Can the EngineG software communicate with both the GEM and a ECM-1240 (the one in the outbuilding)?

Does the GEM need the same resistors on the channels as the ECMs?

Do I have to call (or email?) Brultech sales to get pricing info?

Thanks,
Ira
ben
Site Admin

Re: ECM-1240 to GEM migration

Post by ben » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Ira wrote:So are there any considerations I need to know about if I go forward with this migration?
Shouldn't be any issues migrating over, are the 3 ECM-1240s side-by-side?
Ira wrote:Can the EngineG software communicate with both the GEM and a ECM-1240 (the one in the outbuilding)?
There will be room for another ECM-1240 as the GEM simulates 5 ECM-1240s for EngineG compatibility.
Ira wrote:Does the GEM need the same resistors on the channels as the ECMs?
No resistor required, the resistors are on board the GEM.
Ira wrote:Do I have to call (or email?) Brultech sales to get pricing info?
Contact sales@brultech.com for pricing information.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Ira

Post by Ira » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Ben,

Thanks for the info. I've received the pricing info from sales.

To answer your question...the three ECMs being replaced are side-by-side in a home automation can.

More questions...

1. You said the GEM simulates 5 ECMs. Is there any flexibility in that (current or future)? For example, if I wanted to continue to use two ECMs (move one that is being replaced to the outbuilding so I can monitor more circuits out there) with the GEM, is that possible? Any future plans to extend the capacity of the EngineG software to allow more GEMs/ECMs?

2. What are the environmental spec's for the GEM? I'm thinking about locating it in my attic to free up some space in the home automation can. Temps range from about 30F to 140F. Can the GEM handle that?

Thanks,
Ira
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Ira wrote: 1. You said the GEM simulates 5 ECMs. Is there any flexibility in that (current or future)? For example, if I wanted to continue to use two ECMs (move one that is being replaced to the outbuilding so I can monitor more circuits out there) with the GEM, is that possible? Any future plans to extend the capacity of the EngineG software to allow more GEMs/ECMs?
There are ways you can reduce the number of ECM-1240s the GEM sends out.

The EngineG won't be expanded on any more, we want to replace it for the most part with our new software. We have a version where you can run more than one instance of the EngineG however that I could provide.
Ira wrote:2. What are the environmental spec's for the GEM? I'm thinking about locating it in my attic to free up some space in the home automation can. Temps range from about 30F to 140F. Can the GEM handle that?
We'll have to do some tests at 140F.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Ira

Post by Ira » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Ben,

You mentioned "new software". Do you mean the Dashbox?

The Dashbox website left me with some questions about how it fits in with my current setup and/or what it replaces.

Does the Dashbox have a built-in hard drive where it stores/retrieves energy usage data (like EngineG)? If not, where can the data be stored?

As I mentioned, in my setup EngineG is feeding data to CQC (which is currently running on the same PC). If I purchase a Dashbox, does that do away with EngineG running on my PC? If so, will Dashbox still be able to feed data to CQC? And if so, does the CQC side see anything different compared to when it is receiving data from EngineG?

I would love to move all the GEM/ECM/EngineG data processing off of the PC to a dedicated appliance like the Dashbox...as long as I don't give up any functionality.

Thanks,
Ira