Setup Issues

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Jnox

Setup Issues

Post by Jnox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:31 am

Okay, I am frustrated. I've been trying to configure this thing for several days and I can say the software and directions are terrible for ecm-1240.

I've been using my setup with google power meter, but since that's gone, I'm trying to setup dash board.

I can connect to my device with no problems. I've setup etherport to forward to my server ip address at port 8082.

I've installed ECM engine software and I am able to connect to device to TCP port 8082/Port A.

I can see the Xbee commands coming in, but that's it! Your video shows how to set up the device using xbee. This doesn't seem to work for etherport, since when I try to setup my Device A in Communication/Setup section, the ECM-model and Xbee device address are blank.

When I try to Search for Xbee device (tried both firmware options) I get timeout.

I have port 8082 forwarding enabled in router. I have port 8082 enabled in firewall, along with firewall program permissions.

"Database is Enabled" is green with "Waiting for DB write" next to it.

Now what????
WayneW

Re: Setup Issues

Post by WayneW » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:56 pm

In Engine, under the Database option, is "Write to SQLite3" checked?
~Wayne in Florida
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 am

Jnox wrote:Okay, I am frustrated. I've been trying to configure this thing for several days and I can say the software and directions are terrible for ecm-1240.

I've been using my setup with google power meter, but since that's gone, I'm trying to setup dash board.

I can connect to my device with no problems. I've setup etherport to forward to my server ip address at port 8082.

I've installed ECM engine software and I am able to connect to device to TCP port 8082/Port A.

I can see the Xbee commands coming in, but that's it! Your video shows how to set up the device using xbee. This doesn't seem to work for etherport, since when I try to setup my Device A in Communication/Setup section, the ECM-model and Xbee device address are blank.

When I try to Search for Xbee device (tried both firmware options) I get timeout.

I have port 8082 forwarding enabled in router. I have port 8082 enabled in firewall, along with firewall program permissions.

"Database is Enabled" is green with "Waiting for DB write" next to it.

Now what????
If you're using an EtherPort, you don't need to "Search for Xbee Devices", that's only when using wireless devices.

Looks like your almost there. Have you switched your packet formats to Binary?

- Close the EngineG software, and open the Interface Application software.
- Enter the same port and click Connect.
- Go to the "ECM-1240 Setup" tab.
- If only using 1 ECM-1240, select command byte FC in the top right, if using multiple then you'll have to do this for each unit (command bytes should be on the back of the units).
- Click "Binary" and then "Accept"

After this step, you should be able to connect to the Engine, set your command bytes for each unit, and go through the discovery process (select the device in the top right and bind the serial numbers).

The attached guide shows basically the same steps if you follow up to page 3 (although the guide is for configuring HTTP Post).

Feel free to email me: ben<at>brultech.com
Attachments
ECM-Setup.pdf
(515.44 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Jnox

Post by Jnox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:40 pm

I have been able to finally connect and start collecting data after I enabled the "binary". Thanks for the help.

Is it possible to use dashboard and still forward data to my1240.com?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Jnox wrote:I have been able to finally connect and start collecting data after I enabled the "binary". Thanks for the help.

Is it possible to use dashboard and still forward data to my1240.com?
Unfortunately not due to the difference in packet formats, but if you're using the EngineG software, you can tie into Verohomies modules here: http://brultech.com/home/community/viewforum.php?f=11 which will give you web logging to some of the emerging free data hosts out there.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com