Researching: Considering move from TED 5000 to Brultech syst

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
drpulis

Researching: Considering move from TED 5000 to Brultech syst

Post by drpulis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:02 pm

I have been using TED 5000 for about 2 years, and have 2 separate Gateways with total of 6 MTUs to monitor circuits. I would like to monitor several more circuits, but I am now finding as I add more Gateways and MTUs from TED, that they actually interfere with each other over the Power Line Communication, creating a lack of accuracy.

I have an inquiry already direct to Sales, but I was reading more about the GreenEye Monitor and Home Server Box. Obviously, with my TED, I have some flexibility to wait for these products to be released. Would this be a good plan of conversion, considering that I want to monitor:
Main Panel, 9 circuits
SubPanel in External Building, 1 circuit
SubPanel in House 8 - 10 circuits plus

My question is, how do these Main Panel and Subpanel connections communicate to each other? Do I have to run CT cabling to each panel to connect centrally to the GreenEye? OR, can I communicate over ethernet? I have extensive hard wire ethernet throughout the property, as well as excellent wireless coverage.

Just trying to get into my mind some thoughts on how this works is all. I believe I understand the basic boxes, but not sure how they communicate when some panels are up to 100 ft apart.
drpulis

Re: Researching: Considering move from TED 5000 to Brultech

Post by drpulis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:05 pm

I am still digging through the forum. I guess I won't have access to Installation manuals until I actually make up my mind and buy a product. I am seriously considering waiting for the GreenEye Monitor, but I could sure be doing some "cable running" if that is going to be required.

I searched on "Install" and found a user that ran 25 pair cat5e twisted pair cable from the CT wire connection to a Central Place in his home to mount his 1240 (which will be my GreenEye). I found his photographed project to be very inclusive as well as interesting at
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index. ... opic=14233

If this is the way to connect, looks like I could get a great jump start ahead of receiving the hardware. I believe the gentleman's cat5e Cable length was 60 ft, which will probably work for me, but would like to know maximum distance. Pretty sure that I recall reading 100 ft "somewhere? :)

Anyone that can chime in on how to connect Multiple Electric Panels to your 1240, or I assume similarly with the GreenEye, I would greatly appreciate.

PLEASE ADVISE THE NEWBIE? :D
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 am

If you're planning on using a single monitor, you'll have to run CT wires from each panel to the "centralized" GreenEye. In the future, we plan on having the option to run an ECM-1240 via Xbee and have it talk to a GreenEye via Xbee for sub panels.

The maximum we've seen is 100 FT. We haven't experimented with extending CT leads, but as you found, others have with success.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
drpulis

Post by drpulis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:18 am

ben wrote:If you're planning on using a single monitor, you'll have to run CT wires from each panel to the "centralized" GreenEye. In the future, we plan on having the option to run an ECM-1240 via Xbee and have it talk to a GreenEye via Xbee for sub panels.

The maximum we've seen is 100 FT. We haven't experimented with extending CT leads, but as you found, others have with success.
Thank you Ben, that helps a lot. I can begin running the ethernet cable needed and prepare a terminal box to splice to the CT wires. That will enable me some advance preparation before ordering the GreenEye.
drpulis

Post by drpulis » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:38 pm

ben wrote:If you're planning on using a single monitor, you'll have to run CT wires from each panel to the "centralized" GreenEye. In the future, we plan on having the option to run an ECM-1240 via Xbee and have it talk to a GreenEye via Xbee for sub panels.

Ben, I am still researching this on the best way to go. You mention in future will have 1240 to talk to a GreenEye. That sounds interesting to save a bunch of cabling extension. However, it seems to me that my effort to fully monitor TWO panels that this might not really work with a single 1240. My main panel right now looks like needs 14 connections, while subpanel needs 15 connections. A single 1240 at one of the panels would not be enough, unless I still am not clear?

Would if be fruitful to buy TWO GreenEye, versus running close to 100 ft of cable extensions? That almost seems overkill since I would not use but virtually "half" of each GreenEye.

Just asking?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:19 pm

drpulis wrote:

Ben, I am still researching this on the best way to go. You mention in future will have 1240 to talk to a GreenEye. That sounds interesting to save a bunch of cabling extension. However, it seems to me that my effort to fully monitor TWO panels that this might not really work with a single 1240. My main panel right now looks like needs 14 connections, while subpanel needs 15 connections. A single 1240 at one of the panels would not be enough, unless I still am not clear?

Would if be fruitful to buy TWO GreenEye, versus running close to 100 ft of cable extensions? That almost seems overkill since I would not use but virtually "half" of each GreenEye.

Just asking?
Yeah, it sounds like it would be a bit overkill to run 2 GreenEyes. Maybe you can run 1 CT, and do some tests with extended cables when the GreenEye comes out and gauge your decision on that.

It's hard to say what the results would be as it's more of a "per case" issue.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
drpulis

Post by drpulis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Ben,

On the 1240 eventually communicate with the GreenEye over Xbee.....

Does that add 7 circuit monitor connections to the GreenEye 32, for a total of 39? And also, what is the distance the Xbee can communicate, considering it would likely come through about 3-4 house walls, from my external Cottage.

LOL, I'm almost tempted to just buy a 1240 while waiting on the GreenEye, so that I could get a look at the manual and circuit connections parameters. Seeing the instructions could help answer a lot of my questions. For instance, would it be feasible to "cable connect" over ethernet from 1240(s) to a GreenEye, so that all circuits could be included in a single monitor setup?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 am

drpulis wrote: Hi Ben,

On the 1240 eventually communicate with the GreenEye over Xbee.....

Does that add 7 circuit monitor connections to the GreenEye 32, for a total of 39? And also, what is the distance the Xbee can communicate, considering it would likely come through about 3-4 house walls, from my external Cottage.

LOL, I'm almost tempted to just buy a 1240 while waiting on the GreenEye, so that I could get a look at the manual and circuit connections parameters. Seeing the instructions could help answer a lot of my questions. For instance, would it be feasible to "cable connect" over ethernet from 1240(s) to a GreenEye, so that all circuits could be included in a single monitor setup?
The GreenEye will append the 1240s readings to its packet, thus keeping all readings in sync.

You could get a Mono-100(200)-X, and a Serial-to-USB cable (make sure you get our cable as some of them have been known to swap bytes within our packet) for now to play around with.

The maximum we've tested the wireless units is 100FT.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.