1240 load monitoring questions

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
67stang

1240 load monitoring questions

Post by 67stang » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 am

Listed below are the appliances/HVAC units that I am interested in monitoring:

1. Conventional A/C unit on a 30 A, double-pole breaker and the associated furnace and blower motor on a 50 A, double-pole breaker.

2. Heat Pump on a 30 A, double-pole breaker and the associated furnace and blower motor on a 60 A, double-pole breaker.

3. Oven/Range (with neutral) on a 50 A, double-pole breaker.

4. Water heater on a 30 A, double-pole breaker.

5. Dryer on a 30 A, double-pole breaker.

Ideally, I would like to be able to log the voltage/wattage/amps on each side of each 240V line servicing each item listed. However, from reading the FAQ's, it appears that it may not be possible for items 1 & 2. Items 3 - 5 should not pose a problem. Would appreciate comments as to what my options are with respect to using a 1240 for monitoring these items. I understand that it would entail more cost since additional CT's would be used.

Additionally, I have a 22 KW backup generator for the house. When it was installed, I had a
commercial grade power meter installed in the house to monitor the generators' output. The
meter displays data for each leg of the 240 volt source via a pair of 200A ct's. The meter also has two leads coming in from each leg of the 240 volt source. I have to assume those are for powering the meter and/or for a voltage reference. Problem is, there is currently no way to keep track of the instances (dates/times) the generator kicks in. My thinking is that I should be able to put a small
CT on each of the 2 120 volt leads that are attached to the meter in the house and it would provide the needed dates/times the generator is operational. There is a label on the meter which reads :
3 Watts TA 3.0 60 Hz.

Any suggestions welcomed.
thanks
ben
Site Admin

Re: 1240 load monitoring questions

Post by ben » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 am

You should be able to do this on 1 ECM-1240 easily.
67stang wrote:Listed below are the appliances/HVAC units that I am interested in monitoring:

1. Conventional A/C unit on a 30 A, double-pole breaker and the associated furnace and blower motor on a 50 A, double-pole breaker.
2 Micro-40s for the A/C, 2 Micro-80s for the furnace and blower motor. 2 channels.
67stang wrote: 2. Heat Pump on a 30 A, double-pole breaker and the associated furnace and blower motor on a 60 A, double-pole breaker.
2 Micro 40s for the Heat pump and 2 Micro-80s for the furnace and blower motor. 2 channels.
67stang wrote: 3. Oven/Range (with neutral) on a 50 A, double-pole breaker.
2 Micro-80s. 1 channel.
67stang wrote: 4. Water heater on a 30 A, double-pole breaker.
2 Micro-40s. 1 channel.
67stang wrote: 5. Dryer on a 30 A, double-pole breaker.
2 Micro 40s. 1 channel.

7 channels total.
67stang wrote: Ideally, I would like to be able to log the voltage/wattage/amps on each side of each 240V line servicing each item listed. However, from reading the FAQ's, it appears that it may not be possible for items 1 & 2. Items 3 - 5 should not pose a problem. Would appreciate comments as to what my options are with respect to using a 1240 for monitoring these items. I understand that it would entail more cost since additional CT's would be used.
Amps are only available for CH1/CH2 and are not displayed in the dashboard (but they are available in the database for export).
67stang wrote: Additionally, I have a 22 KW backup generator for the house. When it was installed, I had a
commercial grade power meter installed in the house to monitor the generators' output. The
meter displays data for each leg of the 240 volt source via a pair of 200A ct's.

The meter also has two leads coming in from each leg of the 240 volt source. I have to assume those are for powering the meter and/or for a voltage reference. Problem is, there is currently no way to keep track of the instances (dates/times) the generator kicks in.

My thinking is that I should be able to put a small CT on each of the 2 120 volt leads that are attached to the meter in the house and it would provide the needed dates/times the generator is operational. There is a label on the meter which reads :
3 Watts TA 3.0 60 Hz.

Any suggestions welcomed.
thanks
Is there a reason why you can't put CTs on the same legs that the 200A CTs are connected to? Also, you need to make sure that the generator gives an accurate 60 Hz.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
67stang

Post by 67stang » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Is there a reason why you can't put CTs on the same legs that the 200A CTs are connected to? Also, you need to make sure that the generator gives an accurate 60 Hz
Well, I'm not interested in monitoring the total KWs from the generator; just the listed items. Since the
display on the meter lights up when the generator is running in its' weekly "exercise" mode, then there would/should be a sufficient amount of current on the 120 volt leads to provide data as to how long and what date(s) it ran. When I lose power from the utility grid and the generator comes on, then the CT's hooked up to the listed items will provide all the data I need. Since all 7 channels are used, is there any
way to piggy-back 2 more CTs onto say, the water heater channel ? The two 120 V leads mentioned are,
at most, 16 gauge wire.

Thanks for the response.
paulb

Post by paulb » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:09 pm

If you are simply looking for a generator on/off time stamp, you can put a single low cost CT on one of the generator feed lines and connect the CT leads to the water heater channel as you mentioned.

Paul
67stang

Post by 67stang » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 pm

That's what I thought could be done, based on the negligible current draw of the meter.
Would that be another micro 40 or something less in an amperage rating ? Don't remember
seeing anything smaller in the "store".

Forgot to respond to Ben's question as to the generators' ability to provide a stable 60Hz
frequency. Bought a frequency meter which could be plugged into an outlet and it displays
the frequency via a small LED panel. Only varies .1 Hz. at most.

Thanks for the information.