Anyone tried Check-it.ca. or alther google alternative

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
mark_anderson_us

Anyone tried Check-it.ca. or alther google alternative

Post by mark_anderson_us » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Been looking into google alternatives for a while. E-mailed check-it.ca and got this:

After speaking more about it with our tech support we are only able to help if a customers technical knowledge is highly famailiar with the Admin tools for Ether-port Configuration and ECM configuration. Otherwise it takes about 4 hours of our support time to work with a customer over the phone to re-configure the devices from Brultech.

How familiar are you with the Admin tools for Ether-port Configuration and ECM configuration?
The key things are:

Changing ECM packet type
ECM reporting frequency
Server parameters on etherport
If you are able to do this through email we can help you.

I have attached both a brochure outlining the features and a Check-It User Manual - Monitoring. The subscription also includes Control features for home automation/control products provided through Smarthome and the ISY99.

Doesn;t sound too convincing. I'm OK with paying $100 a year, but not all up front. I either want to try for 30 days or poay month to month

Anyone tried it, or any other alternative?

Regards

Mark
plawlis

Re: Anyone tried Check-it.ca. or alther google alternative

Post by plawlis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:12 am

I would hope that Brultech will provide an alternative, given that the most powerful use (for me, anyway) of the ECM is the capacity to monitor energy use over time--something the My1240 doesn't offer. I understand they are developing a new system that will do what TED does and more--will it have it's own proprietary software, or will it rely on a third party system such as Powermeter?

Ben and Paul have been very helpful, spending a good bit of time with me on the phone, but let's face it--setting up their packages is not a do-it-yourself project for most users, and unless Brultech can find (or develop) an alternative, I wonder what the viability of their system will be.

Phil
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I just checked my pachube page and it looks like they've done some real nice upgrades. Check it out:

http://pachube.com/feeds/15822 (scroll down when you get to the page)

Regards

mar
check-it

Post by check-it » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Mark,

I apologize for the miscommunication in the email you had received earlier.

We would be happy to offer you and any other ECM-1240 customers a free 30 day trial as an alternative to the Google Powermeter. We have been working with Brultech since the inception of the ECM-1240 and have a very reliable, secure service offering.

This trial will include access to our portal, logging of the outside temperature with the energy information (based on zip code), integration with Energy Star "Home Energy Yardstick", projected energy bill, downloadable data, weekly scorecard and iPhone/Android apps. The steps to begin the trial will involve changing your etherbee/etherport to client mode and modifying the server address and port number.

If you or anyone else reading the forum is interested please email sales@check-it.ca and we will get you started on your free trial.

Regards,
Jami Manastyrski
Check-It Solutions
http://www.check-it.ca
Last edited by check-it on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks Jami

Excellent news!

When you say:
The steps to begin the trial will involve changing your etherbee/etherport to client mode and modifying the server address and port number
Does that mean it no longer forwards to ECM engine and my home automation system? (Not a big deal, just want to be sure)

Regards

mark
check-it

Post by check-it » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi Mark,

If I remember correctly Paul/Ben had built an option in the ECM engine that would forward data to our portal under home automation --> custom. I will need to follow up with him to see where that was at.

Jami
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 am

check-it wrote:Hi Mark,

If I remember correctly Paul/Ben had built an option in the ECM engine that would forward data to our portal under home automation --> custom. I will need to follow up with him to see where that was at.

Jami
If you go to "Forward Data" then "Home Automation Plugin", there's a tab called "Custom". You can have the Engine forward packets to any IP/Port using this section.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:47 am

ben wrote:
If you go to "Forward Data" then "Home Automation Plugin", there's a tab called "Custom". You can have the Engine forward packets to any IP/Port using this section.
Thanks Ben

Any way to send to HomeSeer AND Check-it.ca
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:51 am

mark_anderson_us wrote:
ben wrote:
Thanks Ben

Any way to send to HomeSeer AND Check-it.ca
The Engine supports only 1 data forward. Is there possibly an option in HomeSeer to forward packets?

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com