Connect to USB-PC

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Joshua

Connect to USB-PC

Post by Joshua » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:30 am

Hi,

I've read the FAQ and tried to contact the support to get these answers with no luck so I'm hoping someone will answer here.

[Q1] Can I connect [ECM-1240] to PC-USB port using standard RS232 to USB adapter (which I already have)?

[Q2] Are there any limitations or necessary configuration to communicate with PC through USB? (like software options, speed, cable length…)

[Q3] Is there any information about EngineG software and ECM-1240 IA software (how it works, looks, features, when to use which software) other than those few bullet points on [Our Software] page?

Cheers
ben
Site Admin

Re: Connect to USB-PC

Post by ben » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Joshua wrote:[Q1] Can I connect [ECM-1240] to PC-USB port using standard RS232 to USB adapter (which I already have)?
Should be able to, as long as it's just a RS232 to USB adapter (nothing in between).
Joshua wrote:[Q2] Are there any limitations or necessary configuration to communicate with PC through USB? (like software options, speed, cable length…)
Nothing I can think of. You'd just connect to the COM port and configure and data log.
Joshua wrote:[Q3] Is there any information about EngineG software and ECM-1240 IA software (how it works, looks, features, when to use which software) other than those few bullet points on [Our Software] page?
Send me an email at ben(at)brultech.com, and I'll get you some information.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mash

Post by mash » Sun May 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Joshua wrote:
[Q2] Are there any limitations or necessary configuration to communicate with PC through USB? (like software options, speed, cable length…)
Cable length is limited within the USB 2.0 standard (5 metres (16.4 ft)). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1,500 ns.

You can use USB extenders but this can be unreliable.

Matt
sub3marathonman

Post by sub3marathonman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Q1 Followup: Can two ECM-1240 monitors be connected to one computer with two USB ports through two separate RS232 to USB adapters?
jloram

Post by jloram » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:33 pm

sub3marathonman wrote:Q1 Followup: Can two ECM-1240 monitors be connected to one computer with two USB ports through two separate RS232 to USB adapters?
Yes. Each USB/Commport will be assigned a comm port number by the operating system and the Brultech software supports four comm ports, each with a ECM-1240 attached.

-john-