Monitoring Multiple residential Circuit Panels

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
WhenDingo

Monitoring Multiple residential Circuit Panels

Post by WhenDingo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:34 am

Hi All.
Looking into getting a system and wanted to make sure I'm going down the right path. I'm pretty sure this system would cover everything we want to track and with the local data store, ( and I assume some APIs), it can integrate it into my current set-up (Hubitat/Smathings). if not immediately - with a bit oof coding in the future.

Here is what I'm hoping to monitor (obviously not an electrician -_- )

Garage Circuit Panel - 14 circuits - typica.
Outside Circuit Panel - Don't recall off hand # of circuits & amps,
2nd outside circuit panel next to meter (I think for an RV hook-up- prior owner has there)
Hot water Heater
Pool heat Pump
Solar Panels - (Monitor device which isn't currently working - would rather use Greeneye anyways)
Water metering (If water meter supports - not sure if possible to use a 3rd party device/pulse monitor somehow)
I think from the additional sensors I could monitor the pool water level (Dry contact on/off) a

this seems like the only product that's not a ton of DYI, yet gives a lot of DIY type freedom and flexibility.

Only thing I could wish was added was z-wave :) I think.

Thanks for your time.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Monitoring Multiple residential Circuit Panels

Post by ben » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:06 am

WhenDingo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:34 am
Hi All.
Looking into getting a system and wanted to make sure I'm going down the right path. I'm pretty sure this system would cover everything we want to track and with the local data store, ( and I assume some APIs), it can integrate it into my current set-up (Hubitat/Smathings). if not immediately - with a bit oof coding in the future.
BTMon3.py has been used to integrate with Smartthings via InfluxDB and Hubitat via MQTT.

https://github.com/BenK22/mtools/blob/i ... /btmon3.py

If you use BTMon3.py you don't necessarily need a DashBox. You can use one an open source tool like Grafana to visualize your data in the InfluxDB for example.

There's also integrations with Home-Assistant which is pretty popular right now.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrati ... e_monitor/
WhenDingo wrote:
Here is what I'm hoping to monitor (obviously not an electrician -_- )

Garage Circuit Panel - 14 circuits - typica.
Outside Circuit Panel - Don't recall off hand # of circuits & amps,
2nd outside circuit panel next to meter (I think for an RV hook-up- prior owner has there)
Hot water Heater
Pool heat Pump
Solar Panels - (Monitor device which isn't currently working - would rather use Greeneye anyways)
Water metering (If water meter supports - not sure if possible to use a 3rd party device/pulse monitor somehow)
What's the distance between all the circuit panels? CTs can be extended to a certain point.

You'll want to get an exact circuit count to calculate the CTs you need. The amount of monitors will depend on distances between panels and the feasability of extending CTs.

For water you'll need a inline meter with pulse output capability. There's a variety of options (EKM Metering for example). Look for one that has a low pulse-per value (1 pulse to liter for example). We do sell 2 types ourselves.
WhenDingo wrote:
I think from the additional sensors I could monitor the pool water level (Dry contact on/off) a
The pulse counter on the GEMs only counts transitions, not on/off states unfortunately. If you were to go the whole btmon3.py integration for home automation however there's likely some 3rd party sensors you could hook up to that same system.
WhenDingo wrote:
this seems like the only product that's not a ton of DYI, yet gives a lot of DIY type freedom and flexibility.

Only thing I could wish was added was z-wave :) I think.

Thanks for your time.
We did look into Z-Wave a long time ago (2012ish I think). You had to join the Z-Wave alliance which was prohibitively expensive for a small business so we opted for Zigbee. We don't really use either nowadays, instead we've opted for our own RF solution using 915Mhz modules (still working on it) to keep costs down.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
WhenDingo

Post by WhenDingo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm

Thanks for all the input!
I'll do a bit more research into figuring out what I need get.
But 100% the best solution I've seen.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:50 am

WhenDingo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm
Feel free to email me if you need any help.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
WhenDingo

Post by WhenDingo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:30 am

Thanks. I probably will. Going to re-label circuit panels and get good pics to start a plan .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WhenDingo

Post by WhenDingo » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:30 pm

ben wrote:
WhenDingo wrote:
Hi Ben .
Can you send me your email ? No rush , we have an electrician coming over Monday to look at some problems in our system .
Once we’re all set with whatever needs to be done I’m going to put together everything we have and figure out what to get .

ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:12 am

WhenDingo wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:30 pm
ben wrote:
WhenDingo wrote:
Hi Ben .
Can you send me your email ? No rush , we have an electrician coming over Monday to look at some problems in our system .
Once we’re all set with whatever needs to be done I’m going to put together everything we have and figure out what to get .

You can get me at ben(at)brultech.com.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.