Figuring out old multiple ECM-1240 setup

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Ira

Figuring out old multiple ECM-1240 setup

Post by Ira » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:06 pm

My Brultech system was "shelved" in 2016 when a previous house was flooded and hasn't been used since. I'm trying to figure out the basic setup I had, and how much of it is still supported by current software levels, etc.

I had a total of four ECM-1240's (one purchased in Sep 2009 and three purchased in Jan 2010). All four are "off-white" in color.

Three ECM-1240's were located in an enclosure near the panel in the house. All have "wireless = 1" on the back sticker. In case it helps, the serial numbers are 138281, 204962, and 204965. The fourth ECM-1240 was located in a detached shop building to monitor power thru the shop's panel. I haven't found that one yet, but I have a lot more boxes to go thru.

A copy of the hosts file on the PC that was running the Brultech software indicates that I had an Etherbee in the same enclosure that the three ECM-1240's in the house were located. When I de-installed these three ECM-1240's, rather than remove the wires from the terminal blocks, I cut the wires leaving a few inches in the terminal blocks as a reminder of which channels/ports/blocks where being used. There weren't any wires in the RS-232 block. The hosts file also indicates that the ECM-1240 in the shop communicated via an Etherport that was located next to it. I haven't found the Etherport or Etherbee devices yet either.

Does "wireless = 1" on the sticker mean the ECM-1240's have Zigbee in them?

Assuming I can find everything (i.e., the missing ECM-1240 and the Etherbee), and it all still works, I want to set up the following...

Panel 1 -- use two or three of my ECM-1240's (that have Zigbee in them) to monitor this panel. Use the Etherbee to connect them to the LAN.
Panel 2 -- Use a GEM I purchased in 2017 (but never installed) with a wired or wireless Ethernet connection to my LAN.
Panel 3 -- Use a new GEM with a wired or wireless Ethernet connection to my LAN.
Connect all the ECM-1240's and GEM's to a DashBox via my LAN.

Is any of the above no longer supported by Brultech? Is the Etherbee still supported and available for purchase (in case I can't find mine)?

Any suggestions for a better setup using what I have and one new GEM and DashBox?

Thanks,
Ira
ben
Site Admin

Re: Figuring out old multiple ECM-1240 setup

Post by ben » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:32 am

Wireless = 1 means they have Zigbee.

Your plan sounds good. If you can get Ethernet to the first panel I personally might just run the 2 ECM-1240s via STS back to the DashBox if you don't need the third. Hardwired is always better then wireless IMO.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Ira

Post by Ira » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:52 pm

I will have a LAN switch (for several use cases) within a couple of feet of panel 1, and I was planning on plugging the Etherbee into that switch to get the two ECM-1240's at panel 1 on the network. Are you suggesting running another cat6 cable to the panel 1 ECM-1240's location, and use that one cable as extensions for two STS cables that plug into the DashBox at one end and the ECM-1240 COM ports on the other end? I haven't decided where the DashBox will be located, but it may take as much as 150' of cat6 to get to it from panel 1. Are there any distance limitations for the STS cables?

I've found all my Brultech equipment, except for the power supply for the Etherbee. Looks like the power supply for the Etherport will work (same plug, same voltage output). Will the Etherport PS work with the Etherbee?

Should the Etherbee and/or the Etherport respond to pings if they are not "connected" to an ECM-1240? I powered up the Etherport, connected it to a LAN switch, and pinged it using the IP address I had written on the case 10+ years ago, but it didn't respond. The LED's (both yellow and green) on the device show a little activity. Same results with the Etherbee. I tried two cables and two switches. Always the same result.

Thanks,
Ira
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 am

Ira wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:52 pm
I will have a LAN switch (for several use cases) within a couple of feet of panel 1, and I was planning on plugging the Etherbee into that switch to get the two ECM-1240's at panel 1 on the network. Are you suggesting running another cat6 cable to the panel 1 ECM-1240's location, and use that one cable as extensions for two STS cables that plug into the DashBox at one end and the ECM-1240 COM ports on the other end? I haven't decided where the DashBox will be located, but it may take as much as 150' of cat6 to get to it from panel 1. Are there any distance limitations for the STS cables?

I've found all my Brultech equipment, except for the power supply for the Etherbee. Looks like the power supply for the Etherport will work (same plug, same voltage output). Will the Etherport PS work with the Etherbee?

Should the Etherbee and/or the Etherport respond to pings if they are not "connected" to an ECM-1240? I powered up the Etherport, connected it to a LAN switch, and pinged it using the IP address I had written on the case 10+ years ago, but it didn't respond. The LED's (both yellow and green) on the device show a little activity. Same results with the Etherbee. I tried two cables and two switches. Always the same result.

Thanks,
Ira
Yeah, the Etherport/bee use the same power supply.

Your plan sounds good then, you can always have the STS cables are a backup in case there's an issue with range. We've extended up to 100FT on the STS before using a standard stereo extension cable.

Make sure you specify you need 2 STS cables when you order the DashBox.

Download the GEM Network Utility or the EtherX software and see if you can see the EtherPort/Bee on the network (the Network tab in the GEM Network Utility is the same as the EtherX software).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com