Off grid monitoring?

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Visseroth

Off grid monitoring?

Post by Visseroth » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:20 pm

I had a thought (yep, watch out, but it happens)...

Hopefully in the near future I'm going to be going off grid. I'm planning and trying to work the details out of everything but I was wondering, would the Brultech GEM with the Dashboard monitor battery voltages?

I'm not necessarily looking for percentages, but a voltage graph.

I know it'll monitor grid tie input and output but my plan is a solar system with wind, maybe hydro if available, nickel iron batteries and likely a 12KW inverter system (per leg)

Maybe this will be something that'll need to be added on?

Right now it's just a thought.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Off grid monitoring?

Post by ben » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:09 pm

Visseroth wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:20 pm
I had a thought (yep, watch out, but it happens)...

Hopefully in the near future I'm going to be going off grid. I'm planning and trying to work the details out of everything but I was wondering, would the Brultech GEM with the Dashboard monitor battery voltages?

I'm not necessarily looking for percentages, but a voltage graph.

I know it'll monitor grid tie input and output but my plan is a solar system with wind, maybe hydro if available, nickel iron batteries and likely a 12KW inverter system (per leg)

Maybe this will be something that'll need to be added on?

Right now it's just a thought.
The GEM doesn't have any DC inputs currently. The ECM-1240 has one via AUX5.

How many do you think you'd need?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Visseroth

Re: Off grid monitoring?

Post by Visseroth » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:17 pm

Hard to say right now as really it's just future planning but I figured if I have a inverter to power the house then it's a good idea to monitor the breaker panel with what I have to see where all the power is going but it's also a good idea to monitor the status of the equipment providing the power.

I mean really just monitoring the batteries alone can tell you a lot but to be able to monitor solar panels, wind turbines and anything else would be super handy specially if it's all in one spot, specially since the Brultech Dashboard can send set alerts.
Being able to monitor and log panel and turbine production and monitor a battery's voltage can tell you a lot about your efficiency and potentially give you heads up if efficiency starts to drop when it shouldn't be.

Really I love to monitor things and I should learn way more than I know about databases.

If Brultech was to do something like this I could see it as a separate DC unit that plugs into the dashbox to provide DC electrical component statistics.

Maybe I just thought of the next thing they could do to compete, not that they don't already have the best monitoring system I've ever seen, but it's something to think about.