About to buy - no real question, but advice please

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
dvl

About to buy - no real question, but advice please

Post by dvl » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:31 pm

I recently bought a house. The electrical wiring is about to be redone to remove knob & tube. While doing that, a new electrical panel will be installed.

Two different people from two different platforms suggested GreenEye monitoring. The first one got my attention, but I decided against it. I didn't want to spend the money. The second mention got me considering it again. My electrician will do the install during the rewire. That's great for me. This time, I think I was less overwhelmed by the amout of projects I had going on.

My next step: decide how many and which CTs to buy. I've found the post on how to do that and I'll be counting my breakers later today. The goal is to order ASAP to make sure the goods arrive before the electricians.

If you have general advice, I'm happy to hear it as I start in on this new project.

Thank you.
neuhaus54

Re: About to buy - no real question, but advice please

Post by neuhaus54 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:26 pm

I have a system for sale if interested email me jneuhaus54@gmail.com. GreenEye system with lots of CT's, I will get a good count on what I have if interested. you would only need to order a dashbox if you want one I never had one.
dvl

Post by dvl » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:55 pm

Thank you, but I've already purchased.
dvl

Post by dvl » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:34 am

Lanz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:00 am
So, what do you think of the system?
It is reliable. Support is good. I have messed up a few times and get set straight here.

I have it graphing in Home Assistant (a much harder thing to configure I think). I think I have to adjust some current transformer connections because my readings for total power aren't matching what I think it should be. Specifically, total power used is not matching the power used by all the other items. I suspect it's either my two main power feeds or the HVAC heat pump. I might have the leads plugged into the GEM incorrectly.

The system is low power. Produces results, keeps running. There is a lot to learn and time spent reading before proceeding will pay off.

You're thinking about buying one?
mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:03 am

Lanz wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:00 am
So, what do you think of the system?
1. It will educate you, knowing your energy use.
2. It should save you $$$. I know it did for me
3. It's reliable. I've had ECM's (sold them) and got the GEM years ago.
4. I personally added the Dashbox. Not needed but I have a lot of other projects (Homeseer), it just made looking at data easier.
5. Customer support is A+
6. I asked Ben to keep us informed of any new products. I'll be the first to buy, try, provide feedback, etc... My support for a great company.

*Please note that if your not comfortable with the install, get a qualified person and follow local codes.
Net: I recommend!

MM