Time to get this going again...

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
stoli

Time to get this going again...

Post by stoli » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:30 am

Years ago, I installed a ECM-1240 with a EP-1 (Etherport to RS-232). I set it up to send the info to Google, who at the time had a free project that tracked energy usage and was compatible with the packets sent by the brultech. When Google shut that project down, I no longer had a need to track the power usage so I didn't bother to change anything.

So, here I am years later and I'd like to get this going again. I think I'd like to set up my own web server to analyze and store the packet data. As I recall, I looked into that back then and it didn't look too involved as long as you knew how to write the server code to process the info and store it.

Questions:

1. I think there was some software that I used to setup the EP-1 via the RS-232 port. Like, where to send the packets, etc. Is that how I did it? Is the software still available? What do I need to configure the ECM-1240 and EP-1?

2. Am I better off ditching the EP-1 and using something else? I see some Raspberry PI rabbit holes on this forum that I haven't gone down yet.

2. Is there some reference material with packet format, etc, that I can download to get me started on programming my web interface?

Thanks
stoli

Re: Time to get this going again...

Post by stoli » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:33 am

OK, nevermind. I was trapped in the online store which doesn't have a link to the support section. I found all the docs and software. Looks like not much has changed in the hardware department. At a glance, I think setting up emoncms will save me a bunch of time but still allow me intercept packet info for other use.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:46 am

stoli wrote:1. I think there was some software that I used to setup the EP-1 via the RS-232 port. Like, where to send the packets, etc. Is that how I did it? Is the software still available? What do I need to configure the ECM-1240 and EP-1?
If you're setting up your own server, I'd definitely suggest using BTMon.py with Grafana and/or EmonCMS.

Going the single-board computer route (raspberry pi, etc) is likely your best option if you're comfortable with it given the power consumption is low.

Make sure you use a decent quality microSD cards since you'll be data logging. Sandisks High Endurance line should be fine for example and isn't overly expensive.

We have some information here about setting up btmon.py on a Raspberry Pi:

http://brultech.com/community/viewforum.php?f=40
stoli wrote:2. Am I better off ditching the EP-1 and using something else? I see some Raspberry PI rabbit holes on this forum that I haven't gone down yet.
EP-1 is still fine to use. It's just a Serial-to-Ethernet interface.
stoli wrote:3. Is there some reference material with packet format, etc, that I can download to get me started on programming my web interface?

OK, nevermind. I was trapped in the online store which doesn't have a link to the support section. I found all the docs and software. Looks like not much has changed in the hardware department. At a glance, I think setting up emoncms will save me a bunch of time but still allow me intercept packet info for other use.
I'll add a link on the store to go to support/software.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
stoli

Post by stoli » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Darn. Looks like my Etherport is dead. Good power supply. No lights on the RJ45 port.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:35 am

stoli wrote:Darn. Looks like my Etherport is dead. Good power supply. No lights on the RJ45 port.
Try a different outlet, ethernet cable, etc. if you haven't already. Make sure the Ethernet port is 10/100 compatible and not gigabit only also.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
stoli

Post by stoli » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm

If I swap out the WIZ110SR board will it work, or do you use different firmware?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:54 pm

stoli wrote:If I swap out the WIZ110SR board will it work, or do you use different firmware?
That should work if you can verify the power supply and ethernet cable are still operational.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
stoli

Post by stoli » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Yeah. Tried 3 cables, 2 power supplies, 2 routers. Tried resetting the WIZ to factory. Nothing. No lights and not detected by software.

Just wondering if there is a cheaper option out there that will provide a wireless connection instead of the ethernet port. Like an ESP-8266.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 am

stoli wrote:Yeah. Tried 3 cables, 2 power supplies, 2 routers. Tried resetting the WIZ to factory. Nothing. No lights and not detected by software.

Just wondering if there is a cheaper option out there that will provide a wireless connection instead of the ethernet port. Like an ESP-8266.
Any RS232 to WiFi/Ethernet/etc. module that supports 19200 baud with no flow control should work.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Hurlbert

Post by Hurlbert » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 am

Roughly how many modules that match those requirements are there, Ben?