CT before and after Utility Electric Meter?

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Mustang65

Post by Mustang65 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:53 am

Not saying that the electric companies Electric meters are accurate or not, but has anyone positioned CT's before and after the Power companies Electric Meter and compared the results? I have a wire drop that feeds the house, so I could put the CT's above the roof where the service goes into a 2.5" conduit. The GEM is directly below the service point.

Just wondering
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am

I have the usual CTs on my panel, and a Zigbee enabled ISY bound to ComEds meter.

I bring the data into my Elasticsearch host so I can graph it. They do pretty good.. Image

Since I’m graphing instantaneous power usage, the exact timing of the data points matters. Where there are very short high usage points there will often be a difference in the height of the spike.

My GEM posts the left and right panel input data data directly to Elasticsearch (via Logstash) and my Zigbee ISY posts total usage data from the power meter whenever it receives a new datapoint. Kibana adds the left and right data to display it with the total from the meter. They run pretty close...

Mustang65

Re: CT before and after Utility Electric Meter?

Post by Mustang65 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Thank you for the info.
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin