GEM/DashBox with ISY994i

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Mustang65

GEM/DashBox with ISY994i

Post by Mustang65 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:09 pm

As I am inching my way through this setup, I am looking at projects I need and want to do. So, I will need to have the GEM/DashBox converse with the ISY994i. I was reading one of the threads from 2010 and it indicated that the only method for the 2 systems to talk is via the ZigBee. Is this still the case? Can they talk over the network? Serial connection? Issues I need to be aware of?

If ZigBee is the only option or the best option can I configure the spare Xbee Series2 modules that I have, to work with the GEM/DashBox? They can be set the profile for Smart Energy....

The first experimental program between them will be the "DRYER" cycle ends and notifies me. After monitoring the cycles (Drying [>2600 Watts 1&2], Cooling/fluffing [(1)220Watts and (2)1watt]), Finished [(1) 0 watts, (2) 0 watts), wait 1 min if ="0", send msg "Dryer Stopped".

Isy994i is located in my home office 50' away from the outside rear wall of the house where the GEM and DashBox are mounted in weather tight boxes next to the Electric Service Panel.

The walls of the house are plaster/lath and have the wire mess which of course is grounded by touching all the outlet boxes and the combination plays hell on the wireless signals both inside and outside. I have Xbee Series 2 modules in the backyard (End) that broadcasts to a repeater Xbee 2 and then to the Controller Xbee 2 >> Arduino.

Your thoughts,
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin
Teken

Re: GEM/DashBox with ISY994i

Post by Teken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Mustang65 wrote:As I am inching my way through this setup, I am looking at projects I need and want to do. So, I will need to have the GEM/DashBox converse with the ISY994i. I was reading one of the threads from 2010 and it indicated that the only method for the 2 systems to talk is via the ZigBee. Is this still the case? Can they talk over the network? Serial connection? Issues I need to be aware of?

If ZigBee is the only option or the best option can I configure the spare Xbee Series2 modules that I have, to work with the GEM/DashBox? They can be set the profile for Smart Energy....

The first experimental program between them will be the "DRYER" cycle ends and notifies me. After monitoring the cycles (Drying [>2600 Watts 1&2], Cooling/fluffing [(1)220Watts and (2)1watt]), Finished [(1) 0 watts, (2) 0 watts), wait 1 min if ="0", send msg "Dryer Stopped".

Isy994i is located in my home office 50' away from the outside rear wall of the house where the GEM and DashBox are mounted in weather tight boxes next to the Electric Service Panel.

The walls of the house are plaster/lath and have the wire mess which of course is grounded by touching all the outlet boxes and the combination plays hell on the wireless signals both inside and outside. I have Xbee Series 2 modules in the backyard (End) that broadcasts to a repeater Xbee 2 and then to the Controller Xbee 2 >> Arduino.

Your thoughts,
Hello Don,

Back in 2010 this information was true but now in 2017 and beyond it is not. One of the major feature requests by me was to have the Brultech team offer the ability to send REST calls directly to the ISY Series Controller.

The only requirement is to have a Dash Box which you do.

You need only set up the Dash Box and ISY Series Controller with the appropriate *State Variables* to ingest the 32 electrical, 8 temperature, 4 pulse, voltage, and weather channels.

Having this ability enabled the ISY Series Controller to have a hybrid environment of X-10, Insteon, and Z-Wave. Depending upon the send interval the relayed data is very close to real time. Having said this if Energy Monitoring & Energy Management is the primary goal using the ZigBee direct connection is the only way to go.

If you require more details please do let me know and I can go through the pros and cons of each along with real world use case. This is the *How To* I created to complete the ISY to Dash Box integration please forgive the missing images as *Photobucket* killed off third party hosting.

http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... =32&t=1699
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10