iPhone lightning cord/charging issues

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Mustang65

iPhone lightning cord/charging issues

Post by Mustang65 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 pm

You will never believe the fix for this problem....

Teken made mention to the following

"Last week I ran into a problem where I awoke to find my iPhone 5 uncharged and blinking away. The display showed a lightning cable icon and the battery level at a 1% critical level. Given this phone has been heavily used for five long years in my mind it was just a expired battery. I had a couple choices and that was either shell out the money to replace the battery or just replace it with a brand new one."

Since the beginning of October my iPhone was a real pain in my butt. I had to place the lightning cord end on something higher than the iPhone and jiggle the cord around to get it to beep and start charging. Half the time it did not give me a full charge over night, because it kept dropping out of charge mode. So I figured that I needed a new connector in the phone. I got on Amazon and ordered the tiny tipped screwdriver needed to open the case. That came I opened the case (real simple) and thought, forget it I will go to the "Not so Local" cell phone repair shop that had a lot of GREAT reviews. About 10 miles away, and I live in the city.

I get there and the guy was replacing a woman's cracked display. Fun watching... so in 5 minutes he finished that. I am next. We talked for a few minutes and then I explained what the problem was. I told him that I thought that it may need a new connector for the lightning cord. He gave me a price of $40 but said "Let me try something"! He took my phone, went in back when I heard the sound of a compressor kick on, and the air blowing out of the nozzle. Boy, was I confused at that point. About 2 minutes later, he came out, grabbed his lightning cord, plugged it in and the phone beeped and showed that it was charging. He laid it down, moved it around and it continued charging.

So, I asked what he did. OK, here comes the answer. He said most guys take their phones and just shove them into their pockets. Probably 20 or more times a day. There is no cover over the charging port on most cases. What is in your pockets,,, a real fine lint. After years of putting the phone in your pocket those little particles of lint start to get packed into the back of the connector. If you look into the port, you will not see anything. So I take the compressed air with an air nozzle that has a tiny hole and blow out the lint. He said he also uses a tiny pic/brush to totally clean it out.

The best part was I asked the guy how much to clean out the lint... he said nothing. So I gave him $10 and said go across the street to McDonald's and have lunch on me.

Well here it is the end of November and the phone is working great.

Two weeks ago I upgraded my phone to a Samsung S8+ (did not turn in my 6S), but after 5 days I returned it. I loved the display but there were a lot of things I was not happy with. The biggest item was that Apple did something to their video export software so that if it determines you do not have an Apple it would not send the video, the fix was to download a 3 part app that was able to get the video. Daughter was not very happy about that at all.
This is where I some how lost a bunch of pictures and videos. No clue how.
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin