DashBox Database Backup

johnstonf

Re: DashBox Database Backup V1.1

Post by johnstonf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:45 pm

confusing (causing unnecessary time-waste for end users)...
They should fix that in their software message if it is wrong.

Does Ben know when this will be finished (if the backup was started some time ago)?

Seems pointless to back up data if it can't be restored.

/f
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:57 pm

johnstonf wrote:confusing (causing unnecessary time-waste for end users)...

Does Ben know when this will be finished (if the backup was started some time ago)?

/f
Are you asking when will the user have the ability to restore their data from a back up or something else?
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:59 pm

restore
Teken wrote:
johnstonf wrote:confusing (causing unnecessary time-waste for end users)...

/f
Are you asking when will the user have the ability to restore their data from a back up or something else?
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes, the *Restore* process is being worked on by the team but there is no ETA. As there are many other development projects underway. It should be noted almost every other energy monitor on the market has no ability to back up the user data locally.

The back up concept was something I pushed for because it was important to me and many others. Brultech has lead the way in this concept as such this back up process has been evolving but resources are limited.

Regardless, its prudent to complete the back up process to guard against a storage failure.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 pm

and rightly so Teken... every system gathering data should have a backup. I am super impressed with the BrulTech GEM and DashBox, and glad you recommended it. I just hate wasting time with things like mismatched versions... roadblocks (they take a lot of time)... being in the industry, believe me, I've had some whopper surprises with things like backup/restore, corruption, mismatches, etc., so... once burned (or rather a few times lol)...

Teken wrote:Yes, the *Restore* process is being worked on by the team but there is no ETA. As there are many other development projects underway. It should be noted almost every other energy monitor on the market has no ability to back up the user data locally.

The back up concept was something I pushed for because it was important to me and many others. Brultech has lead the way in this concept as such this back up process has been evolving but resources are limited.

Regardless, its prudent to complete the back up process to guard against a storage failure.
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:16 am

Also, please move this thread to DashBox Support area... sorry, didn't see it earlier.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 am

johnstonf wrote:Sounds like I'm missing a version update somewhere.
Don't want backup to be incompatible with restore.
You don't really get to verify that the backup is good.

Teken wrote:
johnstonf wrote:I don't want to proceed with the ominous message...
First time trying to get a backup.
/f
You will be fine ~ Go for it! :mrgreen:
I'll ditch that message as most people should be past that version by now. The reason we have that is we switched to using pg_dump from another method. It takes a standard compressed PostgreSQL dump (you could actually load it into your own database and mess around if you wanted).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am

Teken wrote:Yes, the *Restore* process is being worked on by the team but there is no ETA. As there are many other development projects underway. It should be noted almost every other energy monitor on the market has no ability to back up the user data locally.

A basic restore method has been implemented, it just needs an update. We need to test it more, but basically it runs this command:

64-bit:

Code: Select all

64/restore -Fc -v -h <dashbox ip> -U dbbackup -d brultech_dash -f <backup file>

32-bit:

32/restore -Fc -v -h <dashbox ip> -U dbbackup -d brultech_dash -f <backup file>
1. We need to make an option to exclude DashBox system tables in the backup.
2. The old_minute table for older customers can cause system lockups due to the amount of data in that table (this was before table partitioning was enabled, pre-2015 mainly).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
johnstonf

Post by johnstonf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:02 pm

10-18-2017 1-59-50 PM.png
10-18-2017 1-59-50 PM.png (33.65 KiB) Viewed 12876 times
Hi Ben,
You have both 32 and 64 bit listed as 64/... is this a type, or indeed same command?

ben wrote:

A basic restore method has been implemented, it just needs an update. We need to test it more, but basically it runs this command:

64-bit:

32-bit:

1. We need to make an option to exclude DashBox system tables in the backup.
2. The old_minute table for older customers can cause system lockups due to the amount of data in that table (this was before table partitioning was enabled, pre-2015 mainly).
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm

johnstonf wrote:Hi Ben,
You have both 32 and 64 bit listed as 64/... is this a type, or indeed same command?
Typo, fixed it.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.