Main Leg Gen?

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Visseroth

Main Leg Gen?

Post by Visseroth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 am

I'm a bit confused...
I finally received my Split CT 200s (My fault) and obviously they are for my 2 legs but when I enable "Net" monitoring I get a "Gen" option for that main and I'm a bit confused.
Gen is obviously for generation but nothing will be generated on that line unless I put in solar panels or something else, which I hope to do in later days, but still, how would that be applicable currently?
The gen option that came up in the channels is showing the same consumption as the channel itself.
I would think that "Gen" would be 0 right now as nothing is being generated.
Obviously if I was generating power I'd put that on a separate port, enable Net metering and make sure the polarity is correct and if I was generating anything more than I use then with Net metering enabled it would see power going out vs what I'm consuming.
I guess if I set the Solar panel's port as a main with Net metering enabled, it would list what's being generated and consumed.
Ah! I'm a bit confused, help.
Teken

Re: Main Leg Gen?

Post by Teken » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:09 am

If I understood your initial reply you don't have any solar PV in place. If so, don't enable NET metering until you do.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Visseroth

Post by Visseroth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:26 am

No, I don't but I'd like to have panels in place at a later date.
I guess I would only enable Net monitoring on the channels that are monitoring the panels?
Why would the mains show the same consumption on the Gen as it does on the channels?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:28 am

Gen shows the Net Metered value (consumed minus generated). It'll show generation as a negative by default.

It'll mirror the channel if there's no generated power.

If you plan on installing solar, you may as well leave the Gen channel there and set it as Main. Hide the channel you set to Net as it's not used by most people in this case.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Visseroth

Post by Visseroth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Ahh, ok, so the main channel is not the Net but the new channel that is created is figuring the Net. What's going out and coming in.
OK, makes sense now. I was very confused.
Seems we have a base line of 1800W so until I put up a large array that generates more than 1800W I'll leave it as it is.
I'll have a chance to play with it later when I get up a few solar panels and start metering them, but power generated will doubtfully be more than 500W, so needless to say they wouldn't feed back into the mains but would cut a small bit off the bill and give me emergency power. A small amount and only from battery.

Thanks for the replies again!
Soon I think it'll be time to make a video to show how BrulTech has the best monitoring system out there. Doubt I could do it justice though, lol.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am

Visseroth wrote:Ahh, ok, so the main channel is not the Net but the new channel that is created is figuring the Net. What's going out and coming in.
OK, makes sense now. I was very confused.
Seems we have a base line of 1800W so until I put up a large array that generates more than 1800W I'll leave it as it is.
I'll have a chance to play with it later when I get up a few solar panels and start metering them, but power generated will doubtfully be more than 500W, so needless to say they wouldn't feed back into the mains but would cut a small bit off the bill and give me emergency power. A small amount and only from battery.

Thanks for the replies again!
Soon I think it'll be time to make a video to show how BrulTech has the best monitoring system out there. Doubt I could do it justice though, lol.
No problem. Yeah, once you hook up the 500W solar, it should show 1200W when generating if you're hooking it up through your Mains. If you're grid-tied, you'll need to setup differently (set the Inverter to NET instead and mark it as "Main" along with your Main Panel).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Visseroth

Post by Visseroth » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:10 pm

ahh, makes sense to mark it as a main, net and inverter.
I will be grid tied.

I don't think running a house that pulls about 100KWh/day would be possible off the grid. At least not without a large battery bank and a large array of some kind and for more money than I currently care to spend.
Ultimately later on I'd like to build a large enough array to at least zero the day time out while drawing off the grid at night. That should drop me to about 600> KWh/month.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Visseroth wrote:ahh, makes sense to mark it as a main, net and inverter.
I will be grid tied.

I don't think running a house that pulls about 100KWh/day would be possible off the grid. At least not without a large battery bank and a large array of some kind and for more money than I currently care to spend.
Ultimately later on I'd like to build a large enough array to at least zero the day time out while drawing off the grid at night. That should drop me to about 600> KWh/month.
Grid-tied means your inverter would connect directly to a 2nd meter instead of wiring it through your main panel. It sounds like your inverter is going to connect to your panel.

This image explains it better then I do.

http://www.leonics.com/system/solar_pho ... tem_en.gif
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Visseroth

Post by Visseroth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 am

I didn't even know they did metering that way. That's about 2 more meters than I would expect for metering these days.
They are using those digital meters now that will monitor both directions. It's my understanding that when you have a certified meter installed that it'll count either direction but obviously the sell back differs from the buying.
If you don't have your grid tie certified then the meter will ignore anything rolling back into the grid, meaning it just won't count it, at least from what I've seen from my research.
I haven't gotten to that point yet, but it's in the plans for a much later date but I understood what you were saying and either way makes sense.