Connecting ct's to GEM

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Connecting ct's to GEM

Post by ben » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:10 am

If you're putting a single Split-CT on a channel, make sure you use Ports 1,2 of the channel. This will reduce noise.

Using the LEDs being in the top right of the unit as reference, those ports would be:

o
o
o - 2
o - 1

You can also add a jumper in terms of Micro-CTs between those terminals to add some resistance to reduce noise.

If you have multiple CTs connected to one channel, they might cancel from each other. You can check this by removing one of the leads from the channel and seeing if the value increases. If it does, you just have to reverse those CT leads.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Sbe

Post by Sbe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Ben

What I have used is split 200, 100, 60 and 30's. For main split 200 on channel 1 and 2 both using the 1 and 2 positions. For 240's used two split 60's put one ct in 1 2 and other in 3 4 on same channel. For split 30's all separate channels all using 2 3 as they are type B (is this correct). Hopefully that is all OK. For split 100 which goes to garage panel I used two split 100's and put one on channel 16 and other on 17, that is probably wrong should put on same channel.

For mains I have them on channel 1 and 2 and set the dashboard up to say both are mains (checked box for both) also checked box for both to say they are netted out not sure if this is correct or just say one is main and other is net.

Also when I set one main to net a new channel shows up - Main Left Gen. what is the Gen for?

Shayne
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 am

Sbe wrote:Ben

What I have used is split 200, 100, 60 and 30's. For main split 200 on channel 1 and 2 both using the 1 and 2 positions. For 240's used two split 60's put one ct in 1 2 and other in 3 4 on same channel. For split 30's all separate channels all using 2 3 as they are type B (is this correct). Hopefully that is all OK. For split 100 which goes to garage panel I used two split 100's and put one on channel 16 and other on 17, that is probably wrong should put on same channel.

For mains I have them on channel 1 and 2 and set the dashboard up to say both are mains (checked box for both) also checked box for both to say they are netted out not sure if this is correct or just say one is main and other is net.

Also when I set one main to net a new channel shows up - Main Left Gen. what is the Gen for?

Shayne
Your wiring sounds fine.

Net is only used if you're generating power. Given you don't have solar, you don't have to use this setting.

The Gen channel gives the difference between power consumed and power generated.

Looking through your past screenshots, the Main Left gauge looks like it's copying Total Consumption.

Can you try switching the gauge to a different channel, then back to Main Left?

Also go to Channels, then Main Left, then to Live. That Live page will give you the last couple of hours of granular data instead of just the latest record. You can check there to see if the gauge is accurate or not.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Sbe

Post by Sbe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Ben

I tried that selecting another and then back to main left and that worked. Also ran dryer and found issue, I have both cts arrows going away from panel and pointing to load (both same direction) so instead of having the same color wire is 1 and 3 and the other in 2 and 4 looks like I needed 3and2 to e same color wire along with 1and4 being same color.

So everything is looking much better. Only remaining issue is the right main shows 38% of load by adding up right circuits is at over 60%. The total of two mains seem to match sum of channels but split is off not sure why. I do not think I have left and right reversed as the right is clearly connected to the wire on the right side of the main breaker. I don't know if the main breaker switches the sides somehow. I may just put both on same channel but first will shut of all breakers on one side and see what the live looks like for that main channel.

Thanks
Shayne
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Sbe wrote:Ben

I tried that selecting another and then back to main left and that worked. Also ran dryer and found issue, I have both cts arrows going away from panel and pointing to load (both same direction) so instead of having the same color wire is 1 and 3 and the other in 2 and 4 looks like I needed 3and2 to e same color wire along with 1and4 being same color.

So everything is looking much better. Only remaining issue is the right main shows 38% of load by adding up right circuits is at over 60%. The total of two mains seem to match sum of channels but split is off not sure why. I do not think I have left and right reversed as the right is clearly connected to the wire on the right side of the main breaker. I don't know if the main breaker switches the sides somehow. I may just put both on same channel but first will shut of all breakers on one side and see what the live looks like for that main channel.
Can you snap/attach a quick picture of your CT wiring? We'll make sure everything is right there.

The right/left issue might just be a misunderstanding of how a panel is laid out.

On a standard panel, every alternating circuit changes phase. This image off of http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/bkgrd.htm explains it pretty well.

Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Sbe

Post by Sbe » Tue May 02, 2017 2:30 pm

My panel looks like pic on right. Except I have neutral bar on both sides and wires exiting both sides. I turned some on and off and it looks like some on right are feed by left and vice versa

So I have to find out which are really left and right. I assume it is a pattern-that it alternates, but will verify. Thank you for the help everything seems go be working.

Just have to figure out how to broadcast so I can see she away from home - more reading.

Shayne
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue May 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Sbe wrote:My panel looks like pic on right. Except I have neutral bar on both sides and wires exiting both sides. I turned some on and off and it looks like some on right are feed by left and vice versa

So I have to find out which are really left and right. I assume it is a pattern-that it alternates, but will verify. Thank you for the help everything seems go be working.

Just have to figure out how to broadcast so I can see she away from home - more reading.

Shayne
It should alternate like in the picture (black, red, black, red).

All you have to do is open a port on your router and you should be able to see it from the outside. Any outbound port pointing to the DashBox IP, Internal Port 80.

Under Add-ons, there's an option to send to our portal. This will allow you to track your ISP assigned IP address as it changes. It sends us an updated record of your IP every so often.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.