IP Address configuration of etherport

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
mdonovan

IP Address configuration of etherport

Post by mdonovan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm a bit confused about the ip addresses that are set up for the etherport. In the config utility there is a spot for Local address which I have set to DHCP, port 5000, and Server address that I set to a different address and port.

I'm writing a vb.net class to collect the data from my ECM-1240, and I had to use the Local address and port 5000 to receive data. I'm getting the data fine, but I'm having trouble sending commands to the unit. I'm trying to get the settings, but when I send an ACK I still get data packets from the unit.

My question is, what is the server address for? Do I need to monitor the local address to get data and use the server address to send commands?

Thanks

Matt
ben
Site Admin

Re: IP Address configuration of etherport

Post by ben » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:58 pm

mdonovan wrote:I'm a bit confused about the ip addresses that are set up for the etherport. In the config utility there is a spot for Local address which I have set to DHCP, port 5000, and Server address that I set to a different address and port.

I'm writing a vb.net class to collect the data from my ECM-1240, and I had to use the Local address and port 5000 to receive data. I'm getting the data fine, but I'm having trouble sending commands to the unit. I'm trying to get the settings, but when I send an ACK I still get data packets from the unit.

My question is, what is the server address for? Do I need to monitor the local address to get data and use the server address to send commands?

Thanks

Matt
Local Address is the address of the Ethernet module. (Server mode).

Server Address is the address of a Server in which the Ethernet module can communicate with. (Client mode).

What commands are you trying to send?

Try connecting and sending commands with the GEM Network Utilities Debug screen (set it to TCP Client, and connect up as you are with your VB program).

If those work, it might be something simple like needing a line break after the command.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mdonovan

Post by mdonovan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks for the explanation. That does help.

I will download the GEM utility and see what I find. I assume it will work with an ECM-1240 as well.

The command I was trying to send was Get Settings. The code I'm using was originally written just to collect data and it works fine for that. Now I'm expanding it to control and I'm running into these issues. I looked at the flow chart you provide in your documentation, but rather than getting one byte at a time and working my way through to the end I just get the full data packet in one chunk and process it. As I said this worked for quite a while, but now I might have to re-think the design and get one byte at a time, see what it is, and take the appropriate steps. The way I did it now just for receiving doesn't use a lot of code.

Thanks again for your help. I'll download the utility when I get home and see what I can find.

Matt
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:27 am

mdonovan wrote:Thanks for the explanation. That does help.

I will download the GEM utility and see what I find. I assume it will work with an ECM-1240 as well.

The command I was trying to send was Get Settings. The code I'm using was originally written just to collect data and it works fine for that. Now I'm expanding it to control and I'm running into these issues. I looked at the flow chart you provide in your documentation, but rather than getting one byte at a time and working my way through to the end I just get the full data packet in one chunk and process it. As I said this worked for quite a while, but now I might have to re-think the design and get one byte at a time, see what it is, and take the appropriate steps. The way I did it now just for receiving doesn't use a lot of code.

Thanks again for your help. I'll download the utility when I get home and see what I can find.

Matt
The ECM-1240 involves a different program called the IA Software. It's a different set of commands (all in binary).

If you know some Python, you could take a look (or even use) at Matthews code here: https://github.com/matthewwall/mtools (btmon in particular). All the work is done already in terms of processing packets.

There's a few forks of the project also that support more features.

He also has a program to configure the GEM/ECM-1240/ECM-1220 here: http://lancet.mit.edu/mwall/projects/po ... n/btcfg.py
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com