Interested in purchasing system

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
mlennox

Re: Interested in purchasing system

Post by mlennox » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 am

ben wrote:The standard packages are capable of Google PowerMeter through the EngineG software.
Thanks Ben, couple questions.

So does this mean that with the plug & play kits, you don't need to be running any local computer software in order to get data publishing? Is there software running on the ethernet gateway that handles the data publishing, and is it accessible (configurable, upgradeable, etc.)?

With the plug & play kits, are there any limitations relative to the standard kits? Can I still run the EngineG software if I choose, and have my home automation controller poll data from it?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:46 am

mlennox wrote:
ben wrote:The standard packages are capable of Google PowerMeter through the EngineG software.
Thanks Ben, couple questions.

So does this mean that with the plug & play kits, you don't need to be running any local computer software in order to get data publishing? Is there software running on the ethernet gateway that handles the data publishing, and is it accessible (configurable, upgradeable, etc.)?

With the plug & play kits, are there any limitations relative to the standard kits? Can I still run the EngineG software if I choose, and have my home automation controller poll data from it?
How the Plug and Play packages work is they send HTTP Posts through your internet connection to our site which we host for free. The site is basically used as a data-forward service, which collects data over a 10 minute period then sends it over to Google PowerMeter. There is some real-time charting provided, but it's not as robust as the EngineG software.

You can reconfigure a plug and play package to send to a local PC and use the EngineG software. You'd have to reconfigure the gateway and the ECM-1240s. The only real benefit I can see that you'd have for going the plug and play route is you'd have your resistors and CT settings preconfigured.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
flxc4p4str

Post by flxc4p4str » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi Ben,
I'm building a home and planning on purchasing PP3-200-X, but before I do I want to make sure I'm getting the right system, and that I understand your response to the previous question.

While away from home I would like to be able monitor energy usage via google powermeter. This way I can see my usage without having to leave a laptop or pc on to host the dashboard. I also would like to be able to share my usage stats at a glance with friends and family. Google seems like the friendliest way to do this.

While at home however I would like access to the real time data provided by the dashboard or software, so I can fine tune my usage.

Is there a way to accomplish this with out reconfiguring anything, or is reconfiguring as simple as a drop down(e.g. send data to home network or send data to google)? If I'm switching the feed back and forth, won't I have missing data in both places that will mess with any average calculations? I guess what I'm asking is, can I eavesdrop the data being sent by the gateway to my router, which the router sends you (which you then send to google every 10 minutes), to get the best of both worlds?

As far as making sure I'm getting the right package, as I mentioned I'm looking at the PP3-200-X and here is what I would like to monitor, with room for expansion:

1) Total system

2) HVAC zone one
3) HVAC zone two
4) Electric tank-less water heater
5) water filtration system
6) septic pump
7) washer/dryer
8) wall ovens
9) refrigerator
10) dishwasher
11) microwave
12) kitchen outlets
13) office
14) maser suite
15) bedroom one
16) bedroom two
17) playroom
18) family room/nook
19) gym
20) garage
21) basement outlets
22) exterior rear
23) exterior front

24) solar pv array generation
25) micro wind generation

Thanks in advance for your response,
Rob
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:21 am

flxc4p4str wrote:Hi Ben,
I'm building a home and planning on purchasing PP3-200-X, but before I do I want to make sure I'm getting the right system, and that I understand your response to the previous question.

While away from home I would like to be able monitor energy usage via google powermeter. This way I can see my usage without having to leave a laptop or pc on to host the dashboard. I also would like to be able to share my usage stats at a glance with friends and family. Google seems like the friendliest way to do this.

While at home however I would like access to the real time data provided by the dashboard or software, so I can fine tune my usage.

Is there a way to accomplish this with out reconfiguring anything, or is reconfiguring as simple as a drop down(e.g. send data to home network or send data to google)? If I'm switching the feed back and forth, won't I have missing data in both places that will mess with any average calculations? I guess what I'm asking is, can I eavesdrop the data being sent by the gateway to my router, which the router sends you (which you then send to google every 10 minutes), to get the best of both worlds?

As far as making sure I'm getting the right package, as I mentioned I'm looking at the PP3-200-X and here is what I would like to monitor, with room for expansion:

1) Total system

2) HVAC zone one
3) HVAC zone two
4) Electric tank-less water heater
5) water filtration system
6) septic pump
7) washer/dryer
8) wall ovens
9) refrigerator
10) dishwasher
11) microwave
12) kitchen outlets
13) office
14) maser suite
15) bedroom one
16) bedroom two
17) playroom
18) family room/nook
19) gym
20) garage
21) basement outlets
22) exterior rear
23) exterior front

24) solar pv array generation
25) micro wind generation

Thanks in advance for your response,
Rob
You would have to reconfigure it every time to switch it back and forth, which isn't too bad once you get a hang of it (the URL stays programmed, you'd just need to switch packet formats on each of the units and redirect the Gateway). It would probably take you ~15 minutes once you get a hang of the procedure.

Depending on the length that you're gone, missing data could occur when switching back and forth. The problem is that the channels run a counter which increments as it reads, therefore these counters have to reset at some point. If the counter was to reset and then surpass the last reading on your local copy, when you switch it over it'll just take the difference between those 2 packets.

If you were to run a computer 24/7, you could log using the EngineG software, and have EngineG forward data to Google PowerMeter. You could also setup your router so you can access your dashboard software using your outbound IP. A newer PC shouldn't draw more than 100 Watts if the display is asleep (our laptop draws about 24 Watts with the display off, it's been running the EngineG software for the past year). This would probably be the ideal situation for you.

CT-wise, you should be fine. The easiest way to figure that out is to get a count of breakers and the amps they use, and just match them up with CTs in the package.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com