CT Burden Resistors?

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
wci68

CT Burden Resistors?

Post by wci68 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 am

I'm looking for some quick confirmation here regarding whether Brultech's CTs have their own burden resistors.

My guess would be that Type-A CTs which provide a "voltage output" have their own burden resistors and that Type-B CTs which provide a "current output" do not have their own burden resistors. The GEM itself provides burden resistors for the latter case.

Is this correct?

Also, I seem to remember seeing a reference to datasheets for at least some CTs, but I haven't been able to actually find any. In particular I am curious to the turn ratios. For those with burden resistors, some details regarding the resistance value (or output range/ratio) would be of interest. Would anyone have such references?
ben
Site Admin

Re: CT Burden Resistors?

Post by ben » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:05 am

That's correct, basically the Micro-CTs are made to be as small as possible so they don't contain the internal burden resistor.

The GEM has burdens located on ports 2,3.

If you connect up a Micro-CT on 1,2 or 3,4 you can cause adverse affects to your GEM, such as overloading other channels.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:58 pm

Ben,

Related question. If I need to disconnect a Micro-CT - without internal burden resistors can dangerously high voltages be present on the CT leads while disconnected - if the circuit breaker is not shut off?

I'd prefer to not have to shut off the breaker - but have been out of an abundance of caution.

Michael.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:41 am

mwareman wrote:Ben,

Related question. If I need to disconnect a Micro-CT - without internal burden resistors can dangerously high voltages be present on the CT leads while disconnected - if the circuit breaker is not shut off?

I'd prefer to not have to shut off the breaker - but have been out of an abundance of caution.

Michael.
Our Micro-CTs don't put out dangerous voltage. You may feel a slight tingle at most if you touch the ends.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks! Good to know.