Using COM2 - Getting gibberish

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Jim000

Using COM2 - Getting gibberish

Post by Jim000 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:22 am

I have a GEM with the wifi/ethernet module.

I'm having a hard time (under linux) to get a complete capture of all the data that the GEM provides on each channel (watts, amps and wh). I started another thread - but I think that btmon won't grab the amp data. I know there is a Windows app to generate CSV - but I don't want to run a windows box just to capture to CSV.

Can someone confirm that the wifi/ethernet module uses COM1 and leaves COM2 free?

The manual says "COM1 is connected to RS-232(1) and may be shared with only one of the following optional devices: ...."Combination WiFi/Ethernet Module "

I've set the port to 115,200 and 8N1 and had no luck. I just get gibberish - or just blocks of text. No comprehensible data. I've tried with stty/cat and using minicom. Packet type is "ASCII with WH"

Should I be able to use COM2?

I wanted to take linux out of the equation so I tried using "GEM Data Display" and it crashes every time after I get the correct COM port open. Granted, I'm using Win10 and a serial to USB adapter - but it just says "IA Software" has stopped working. I have a Win7 machine with a physical serial port that I can try later.

Anybody using serial with their GEM?
Jim000

Re: Using COM2 - Getting gibberish

Post by Jim000 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Figured it out.

I was verifying the baud rate and settings on the "Wifi-Uart Setting" screen within Application Setting. Not realizing there was a second place to change port options - I thought things looked OK.

I had to login (on port 8000) and then go to the ADV tab and change the "COM2 Port Options" to use 115,200.

Hope it helps someone else. After changing the port in linux (stty -F /dev/ttyS0 115200 cs8 -cstopb -parenb) if I do a "cat /dev/ttyS0" I can now see the ASCII packets I expect.