An important announcement from Smart EGroups----BAD news $$$

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
daudet

Re: An important announcement from Smart EGroups----BAD news

Post by daudet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:55 am

Is there a way to upload data to SEG and Dashboard simultaneously from my GEM or I need a device in between?

I have found Btmon.py but no clue how it works.
Any link to tutorials on how to implement ? Window or Linux?

Thanks
Daniel Audet VA2DG
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC. Can.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Hey guys,

Logged in for a second just to post up an option, btmon.py with EmonCMS (http://emoncms.org/) is what a few users use. There's a guide here by scyto to set up btmon on a Raspberry Pi.

https://www.brultech.com/community/view ... f=2&t=1322

EmonCMS can be self-hosted, like the standalone dashboard.

I've discussed in the past creating an image with everything pre-installed for the RPi. We'll discuss that when I'm back in the office.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
daudet

Post by daudet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks Ben for getting your input.
Really Appreciated.

Have a long weekend and get ready, you will probably be flooded with Dashbox order

:?
Daniel Audet VA2DG
joelabq

Post by joelabq » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:14 pm

As another alternative, I just spent a few hours setting up an Amazon Web Services virtual server (AWS) micro instance of CentOS linux. Set my brultech to client mode and pushed to a static (elastic as AWS calls it) IP.

I don't know what the cost will be, but I'm thinking $5-$8 a month, until data storage accumulates. After that, you can chose to purge or pay a little.

I will say that if you aren't an IT kinda guy, it's got a learning curve to it. My main thing right now is understanding the EmonCMS interface. The documentation is lacking on this right now I've noticed unless I am missing it.

Joel
daudet

Post by daudet » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Last night I have downloaded Wampserver and EmonCMS and installed them on my mini Dell 2120 laptop on Windows 10 so far so good, Web server is working fine and EmonCMS too.

Next I need to get btmon.py working so I can push my Gem data to EmonCMS and SEG

once I have btmon working I will host EmonCMS on my Linux hosted server in the cloud.

Will let you know as I progress.
Daniel Audet VA2DG
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:55 am

ben wrote:Hey guys,

Logged in for a second just to post up an option, btmon.py with EmonCMS (http://emoncms.org/) is what a few users use. There's a guide here by scyto to set up btmon on a Raspberry Pi.

I've discussed in the past creating an image with everything pre-installed for the RPi. We'll discuss that when I'm back in the office.
Ben,

Any plans to allow GEM (and/or Dashbox) to post directly to EmonCMS in the same way they can already do for SEG? If not, please consider adding it. I got things going (I think?) with btmon, but I really don't want yet another middle tier if I can help it.

It looks like it should be possible from GEM already - if only I could figure it out. Currently, using btmon as a proxy/format converter appears to be the only way.

Michael.
daudet

Post by daudet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Well after days of reading and trying, finally got the DashBoard up and running in the cloud.

Dashboard was installed on my cloud server, then I manage to upgrade my GEM from COM 2.41 to 4.0 and ENG 1.46 to 1.49.

Then after making change in my GEM and point it out to my Cloud server i finally got some data.
I have started to configure my channels name and Pictures. Still a lots to do.

I was able to forward it back to SEG after changing my device name on SEG from MyNewSEG to my serial # that Dashboard is using by default.

Now SEG is getting updated and my Cloud Dashboard too.

Link to my setup is http://api.va2dg.ca

Now i need to get a local server with BTMON running to feed local EmonCMS, Cloud Dashboard and SEG until the FREE BEE expire in less than 27 days. Then i will cut the plug with SEG. Too Expensive.

Enough for tonight I am pulling the plug..
Daniel Audet VA2DG
tnakelski

Post by tnakelski » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 am

daudet wrote:I have ask the following question to Sam

On 7 October 2015 at Wed 7 3:29:55 pm, Daniel Audet wrote:

Hi Sam
question about stream?
in my profile i have 32 breakers reporting along with 8 temp.
For the pricing will it be 40 streams or my complete setup count as one.
I need to know what it will cost me .
is it 40 * 1.99/months plus account fee 4.99 plus extra 0.99 for 30 sec data.
is data for all stream OK we need to pay 40* .99?

can you tell me from my profiles what it will cost me per month to keep what I had before.

Thanks

Daniel.

Answer below
Hey Daniel, 

It depends on your data rates, if they are slowed down, then it it becomes quite cheap.  I recommend 40-60 seconds, the sweet spot being about 45 or so seconds.

Then it is

40 x $0.59 = $23.60
Plus 4.99

Everything is still rolling behind the scenes, and all your stuff is there.

The 30 day trial is for this.  You will have an invoice calculated at the end of that time, which will be zero cost to help you understand you costs!

Thanks!
Sam.

Sam Sabey, @samotage
smartenergygroups.com
+61403 245 139

So it end up if I stay as is with 30sec update it will cost me
40x 0.99=39.60$ plus the monthly recurring charge 4.99 that's a total of 44.59$ plus exchange rate. Getting expensive.
Downgrading to 45 sec as suggested by Sam is
28.59$

Please throw in your 2 cents comments
I believe that your streams are actually higher than you think, remember that each electrical channel can produce three stream, power, wattage and amps. So 32 electrical channels can produce 96 streams plus your 8 temperature stream equals 104 streams.
I’m down to just 3 streams, wattage streams only from three channels. If you try to include the power from the three channels you get this message.

Oh noes! You have exceeded your free streams limit!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:37 am

mwareman wrote:
ben wrote:Hey guys,

Ben,

Any plans to allow GEM (and/or Dashbox) to post directly to EmonCMS in the same way they can already do for SEG? If not, please consider adding it. I got things going (I think?) with btmon, but I really don't want yet another middle tier if I can help it.

It looks like it should be possible from GEM already - if only I could figure it out. Currently, using btmon as a proxy/format converter appears to be the only way.

Michael.
We have a packet for EmonCMS we've fooled around with. I can ask Paul to take a look at it again.

I can look into having the DashBox send to it also.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mwareman

Post by mwareman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:50 pm

ben wrote: We have a packet for EmonCMS we've fooled around with. I can ask Paul to take a look at it again.

I can look into having the DashBox send to it also.
Thanks! I'd appreciate it. I had the GEM sending data to the self hosted dashboard before I got the Dashbox. I never turned that off until this. I modified the setting to send data to btmon, but I'm more interested in having the GEM send directly to EmonCMS instead - and leaving the serial connection to Dashbox. Choices are always good!

Michael.