Home automation solutions for rebooting GEM

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
mroch

Re: Home automation solutions for rebooting GEM

Post by mroch » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm having this issue too. I bought 2 GEMs a couple weeks ago and have installed one so far. It's a wifi/ethernet model and came with COM 4.0.

After it went offline according to SEG, the lights were green and yellow, and the green light flashed red occasionally. The admin interface on :80 was accessible.

It's gone offline 3 times so far, always in the middle of the night (12:45am twice and 1:45am).

I have a software engineering/networking background so let me know if there's something I can do to help debug this. I'm holding off on installing the second one until I figure out a workaround, since having to log into it and reboot it every couple days is a showstopper.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:07 am

Yellow light means it's not connected. How is the WiFi signal strength near your install?

It's possible something could be interfering with the signal at random times.

Enable COM1 Auto Reset, set the value to "250", in case it's losing connection and failing to reconnect.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mroch

Post by mroch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:13 pm

Hey Ben,

I was still having trouble, so I switched to wired. I couldn't figure out how to unset the wifi settings, so I reset the network using the physical button next to the ethernet port.

It's still going online and offline just like before, so I don't think it was an issue with the wifi coverage. Are there any on-device logs that would show the network going up and down? It'd be awesome to confirm that it's actually a network issue and not something up with SEG.

Marshall
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:41 am

mroch wrote:Hey Ben,

I was still having trouble, so I switched to wired. I couldn't figure out how to unset the wifi settings, so I reset the network using the physical button next to the ethernet port.

It's still going online and offline just like before, so I don't think it was an issue with the wifi coverage. Are there any on-device logs that would show the network going up and down? It'd be awesome to confirm that it's actually a network issue and not something up with SEG.

Marshall
- Check your Flow Control settings, make sure they're off.
- Did you set up Client mode using the Network tab in the GEM Setup Webpage or the Application Settings section in the WiFi/Ethernet setup webpage (port 80)? If it's through the GEM Setup Webpage, you may want to try using Application Settings instead.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com