Disabling Wifi on GEM with Wifi/Ethernet

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
jeremyclark

Disabling Wifi on GEM with Wifi/Ethernet

Post by jeremyclark » Sun May 31, 2015 1:50 pm

I purchased and set up a GEM with Wifi/Ethernet as well as a Dashbox, and in the end I decided to just connect the two with the RS232 cable. I'd like to disable the wireless radio on the GEM itself, as it's broadcoasting an SSID "Greeneye_G4" and causing radio interference with my other wireless routers.

Can this be done?

From reading the manual, it seemed to suggest that once you connect to it in AP mode and then set it up to STA mode and give it your wifi SSID and password, etc., that it would then connect to your wireless network and stop broadcasting its own, but every time I configure it, it still seems to broadcast its own SSID and I can always still connect to it and find the GEM at 1.2.3.4 (the suggested IP address in STA mode).
ben
Site Admin

Re: Disabling Wifi on GEM with Wifi/Ethernet

Post by ben » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 am

jeremyclark wrote:I purchased and set up a GEM with Wifi/Ethernet as well as a Dashbox, and in the end I decided to just connect the two with the RS232 cable. I'd like to disable the wireless radio on the GEM itself, as it's broadcoasting an SSID "Greeneye_G4" and causing radio interference with my other wireless routers.

Can this be done?

From reading the manual, it seemed to suggest that once you connect to it in AP mode and then set it up to STA mode and give it your wifi SSID and password, etc., that it would then connect to your wireless network and stop broadcasting its own, but every time I configure it, it still seems to broadcast its own SSID and I can always still connect to it and find the GEM at 1.2.3.4 (the suggested IP address in STA mode).
The WiFi AP can't be disabled, but you can hide it and remove the antenna so it can't broadcast.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com