Upgrading from 1240 to GEM and Dash. Would you do it?

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
mark_anderson_us

Upgrading from 1240 to GEM and Dash. Would you do it?

Post by mark_anderson_us » Sat May 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi all

Moving house soon and have a 30 slot panel (full) in new place. I have 2x1240's and have never been very happy. The PC software that was supposed to do forwarding was never very good. Right now I'm using RS232 to PC and python scripts to upload to SEG. I then retrieve that data from my home automation system (RTI)

I'm was thinking of adding another 1240 and a dash, but that only gives me 21 channels. by the time I've added 2x1240's I may as well of just bought the GEM. I would like to be able to forward date to something like SEG and also have locally (via web interface) for use with my home automation syste,

Has anyone done the upgrade?

Is the GEM substantially better?

Is the Ethernet (wired) module the EtherPort used with the 1240 (I have one already). IF not, what is it and how much (I see nothing in store)

Is it worth investing in the DASH box?

If I don't buy the DASH, where can i forward data for logging and stats?

Can I use my existing CT's?

Regards

mark
Teken

Re: Upgrading from 1240 to GEM and Dash. Would you do it?

Post by Teken » Sat May 09, 2015 6:54 pm

mark_anderson_us wrote:Hi all

Moving house soon and have a 30 slot panel (full) in new place. I have 2x1240's and have never been very happy. The PC software that was supposed to do forwarding was never very good. Right now I'm using RS232 to PC and python scripts to upload to SEG. I then retrieve that data from my home automation system (RTI)

I'm was thinking of adding another 1240 and a dash, but that only gives me 21 channels. by the time I've added 2x1240's I may as well of just bought the GEM. I would like to be able to forward date to something like SEG and also have locally (via web interface) for use with my home automation syste,

Has anyone done the upgrade?

Is the GEM substantially better?

Is the Ethernet (wired) module the EtherPort used with the 1240 (I have one already). IF not, what is it and how much (I see nothing in store)

Is it worth investing in the DASH box?

If I don't buy the DASH, where can i forward data for logging and stats?

Can I use my existing CT's?

Regards

mark
1. The Ethernet module is hardwired into the GEM.

2. You can use the GEM by default to forward energy readings to SEG.

3. You may certainly use the same CT's and migrate them to the GEM with out issue.

4. The Dash Box (DB) is worth every penny and more and allows more capabilities than just storing data. You can purchase a DB anytime when you feel its the right time or when finances allow, no pressure.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Sun May 10, 2015 8:22 am

Teken wrote:

3. You may certainly use the same CT's and migrate them to the GEM with out issue.

4. The Dash Box (DB) is worth every penny and more and allows more capabilities than just storing data. You can purchase a DB anytime when you feel its the right time or when finances allow, no pressure.
Hey Teken

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply. Sounds like an upgrade is the way forward.

Can I forward to SEG (or similar) and to DASH?

What are the other options besides SEG?

Regards

mark
Teken

Post by Teken » Sun May 10, 2015 8:40 am

mark_anderson_us wrote:
Teken wrote:

Hey Teken

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply. Sounds like an upgrade is the way forward.

Can I forward to SEG (or similar) and to DASH?

Regards

mark
Hello Mark,

If you only have the GEM the system can natively forward to SEG just requires you to follow the set up to do so.

If you have a computer system running 24/7 you can also certainly POLL the GEM for data and have it stored in any of the third party software platforms. Which some of them will allow you to relay the same to other hosted services.

This obviously requires a lot of set up and learning to get everything working correctly.

If you purchase the DB and it's connected to the GEM. By default all energy data will come into the system. In turn you can easily input a few pieces of information and have the DB forward the same to SEG.

The benefit to those who are reading this reply is that the DB/GEM combo is very much a plug and play affair and requires very little learning and set up.

When compared to a third party software solution which requires extensive learning, setup, and tweaking.

To be fair going the 3rd party route is either cheaper / free. Because most people have existing gear on hand and simply have to load the freeware software.

The DB is a premium product which has been purpose built to extend the capability of the GEM and much more. It integrates with the ISY Series Controller in allowing you to send state variables for all GEM channels which enables you to create programs which then can react to your needs and control Insteon, Z-Wave, X-10 devices.

There are many more features and benefits which you can read in my signature below. If there are any other questions please do ask.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Sun May 10, 2015 9:26 am

Teken wrote:

Hello Mark,

If you only have the GEM the system can natively forward to SEG just requires you to follow the set up to do so.

If you have a computer system running 24/7 you can also certainly POLL the GEM for data and have it stored in any of the third party software platforms. Which some of them will allow you to relay the same to other hosted services.

This obviously requires a lot of set up and learning to get everything working correctly.

If you purchase the DB and it's connected to the GEM. By default all energy data will come into the system. In turn you can easily input a few pieces of information and have the DB forward the same to SEG.

The benefit to those who are reading this reply is that the DB/GEM combo is very much a plug and play affair and requires very little learning and set up.

When compared to a third party software solution which requires extensive learning, setup, and tweaking.

To be fair going the 3rd party route is either cheaper / free. Because most people have existing gear on hand and simply have to load the freeware software.

The DB is a premium product which has been purpose built to extend the capability of the GEM and much more. It integrates with the ISY Series Controller in allowing you to send state variables for all GEM channels which enables you to create programs which then can react to your needs and control Insteon, Z-Wave, X-10 devices.

There are many more features and benefits which you can read in my signature below. If there are any other questions please do ask.

Where can I find info on the DB option? (I used to save all my 1240 data in a SQL database). Not interested in Insteon in any way shape or form, but would like option for DB storage

Also, you seem to be using an Ehterport (which I own) in some of the screen shots in your thread. Is that an option instead of the built-in module?
Teken

Post by Teken » Sun May 10, 2015 9:47 am

mark_anderson_us wrote:
Teken wrote:

Hello Mark,

Where can I find info on the DB option? (I used to save all my 1240 data in a SQL database). Not interested in Insteon in any way shape or form, but would like option for DB storage

Also, you seem to be using an Ehterport (which I own) in some of the screen shots in your thread. Is that an option instead of the built-in module?
There is a little bit more information listed here about the DB: http://www.mypowerpanel.com/web-server/

Are you speaking about the use of the EtherX tool? If so this was used way back in the day because I was literally one of the first users of the GEM. So many of the software tools did not exist at the time.

The GEM also did not have a web based set up page either but does now. My install thread is quite long but does show clearly the evolution along with many screen shots of the features, charts, graphs, and extra functions the DB offers now.

Information is also documented in the on going development of the GEM.
Teken . . .

mattm55

Post by mattm55 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:52 pm

I second the move from the 1240's to the GEM. I upgraded when the GEM was released and never looked back. I had 2 ECM's but felt being able to handle 32 channels was the best option.

I went with the Wifi, xbee and ethernet and have very little trouble with the WiFi so I never hooked up the Etherport from the old ECM's.

I'm also adding a whole house humidifier and added the water meter so I can see how much water I'm using through that.

As far as the DB, I didn't realize how well it worked and took out all the tricky config stuff. Plug and Play is always nice. I may have to consider adding one someday.

So in short, I recommend it. Customer Support (and Sales... I think its Ben's wife?) is excellent.

+1

MattM
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 pm

mattm55 wrote:I second the move from the 1240's to the GEM. I upgraded when the GEM was released and never looked back. I had 2 ECM's but felt being able to handle 32 channels was the best option.

I went with the Wifi, xbee and ethernet and have very little trouble with the WiFi so I never hooked up the Etherport from the old ECM's.

I'm also adding a whole house humidifier and added the water meter so I can see how much water I'm using through that.

As far as the DB, I didn't realize how well it worked and took out all the tricky config stuff. Plug and Play is always nice. I may have to consider adding one someday.

So in short, I recommend it. Customer Support (and Sales... I think its Ben's wife?) is excellent.

+1

MattM
Thanks Matt
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue May 12, 2015 10:09 am

mark_anderson_us wrote: Is the Ethernet (wired) module the EtherPort used with the 1240 (I have one already). IF not, what is it and how much (I see nothing in store)
The GEM exposes Rx, Tx, GND in the same fashion as the ECM-1240 (except using push terminals). You can connect it the same way.
mark_anderson_us wrote:Can I use my existing CT's?
Yeah, the same CTs are used on the GEM as with the ECM-1240, main difference is connecting them is a lot easier.
mark_anderson_us wrote: Can I forward to SEG (or similar) and to DASH?

Yeah, you can do this one of two ways, the DashBox can forward packets to SEG, or you can hook up the DashBox to COM2 on the GEM and have the GEM send SEG packets via COM1.
mattm55 wrote:So in short, I recommend it. Customer Support (and Sales... I think its Ben's wife?) is excellent.

Pauls wife, lol.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mark_anderson_us

Post by mark_anderson_us » Tue May 12, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks ben