Can the GEM send to SEG and the DashBox at the same time?

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
scyto

Can the GEM send to SEG and the DashBox at the same time?

Post by scyto » Sun May 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Just to test my GEM I got it up and working with the 2 x 200 Split CTs.
I configured it to send data to api.smartenergygroups.com but this seems to have made the setup UI impossible to reach.

1) why did this make the setup UI impossible to reach (seems odd)
2) can I still configure the GEM to send to the DashBox too?

Alex
Last edited by scyto on Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teken

Re: Can the GEM end to SEG and the DashBox at the same time?

Post by Teken » Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 am

scyto wrote:Just to test my GEM I got it up and working with the 2 x 200 Split CTs.
I configured it to send data to api.smartenergygroups.com but this seems to have made the setup UI impossible to reach.

1) why did this make the setup UI impossible to reach (seems odd)
2) can I still configure the GEM to send to the DashBox too?

Alex
Hello Alex,

1. What network changes did you make to the GEM?

2. Yes, if you set one of the COM ports to packet (4) Bin48-NET-Time.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
DanP

Post by DanP » Mon May 19, 2014 10:24 am

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Dashbox. I currently have three GEMs, one in my garage at the main panel monitoring the mains, garage, shop feeder, and home feeder with two more GEMs in my home's mechanical room (~75 feet away) on two sub-panels. I would like to use both SEG and the Dashbox for all three GEMs. At first glance it seems I would need to purchase two Dashboxes, but I defer to the experts.

Thanks,
Dan

EDIT: All three GEMs are connected to a wireless network.
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon May 19, 2014 10:33 am

DanP wrote:Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Dashbox. I currently have three GEMs, one in my garage at the main panel monitoring the mains, garage, shop feeder, and home feeder with two more GEMs in my home's mechanical room (~75 feet away) on two sub-panels. I would like to use both SEG and the Dashbox for all three GEMs. At first glance it seems I would need to purchase two Dashboxes, but I defer to the experts.

Thanks,
Dan
Hello Dan,

You're correct the Dash Box can only support two GEMS / ECM 1240's or one of each.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon May 19, 2014 10:50 am

To be clear I can still get to the network page, just can't get to the page on 8000 / 8080 when one configures channels etc.

It seems that once one puts the GEM in 'client' mode in the application setting page it knocks off the channel / setup pages.

At this point the GEM Network Utility won't connect either. If I switch it back to 'server' and reboot then I can access it ok (but have to remember to change the port from 80 back to 8080 or 8000) - this is very funky way to operate :-)
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 pm

scyto wrote:To be clear I can still get to the network page, just can't get to the page on 8000 / 8080 when one configures channels etc.

It seems that once one puts the GEM in 'client' mode in the application setting page it knocks off the channel / setup pages.

At this point the GEM Network Utility won't connect either. If I switch it back to 'server' and reboot then I can access it ok (but have to remember to change the port from 80 back to 8080 or 8000) - this is very funky way to operate :-)
Guessing this is the WiFi/Ethernet module? We're working on getting a mixed mode working with that module, it's a little bit cumbersome for now as you notice.

If you're using an STS cable to your DashBox, you can access the setup page also through the DashBoxes IP and Port 8001 (COM1) and 8002 (COM2). Performance can be a little flakey, and it will interrupt data logging so make sure you don't keep a concurrent connection open.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Wed May 21, 2014 2:15 pm

ben wrote:Guessing this is the WiFi/Ethernet module? We're working on getting a mixed mode working with that module, it's a little bit cumbersome for now as you notice.
Yes that's correct. I assume the issue is the UART actually has the web pages embedded in it that it serves out on 80? Is it possible the UART and the GEM to have 2 IP addresses?

Also if I actually connect to the Ethernet (I only connected the wifi so far) does that then give the device 2 IPs - if so whats the behavior then?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed May 21, 2014 3:25 pm

scyto wrote:
ben wrote:Guessing this is the WiFi/Ethernet module? We're working on getting a mixed mode working with that module, it's a little bit cumbersome for now as you notice.
Yes that's correct. I assume the issue is the UART actually has the web pages embedded in it that it serves out on 80? Is it possible the UART and the GEM to have 2 IP addresses?

Also if I actually connect to the Ethernet (I only connected the wifi so far) does that then give the device 2 IPs - if so whats the behavior then?
The WiFi/Ethernet module has a page at Port 80. The GEM page is controlled by "Application Settings".

I think with WiFi and Ethernet both connected, it'll try to bridge one to the other.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
scyto

Re: Can the GEM send to SEG and the DashBox at the same time

Post by scyto » Wed May 21, 2014 11:09 pm

Well here is the product manager in me coming out.

Depends on what the product strategy is as to whether bridging makes sense. For example if the long term strategy is that the DB becomes a key component then why bother even having server mode on the GEM? Just send the data to the DB and make it do all the work!

Of course if the DB is to be just a option long term then you would need to keep functionality in the main GEM (though I now see the DB reports more to SEG than the GEM does).

In my mind one should always be able to get the network setup page and always get to GEM setup page. Where I am struggling is why the network UART page is where one configures 'server' to send to SEG and why enabling that kills the main GEM setup page and why the SEG instructions for Ethernet Only/ WiFi Only / WiFi & Ethernet options are so different!

To be clear not that you need to explain yourself (its your product) but it is very weird and non-intuitive.

And that's before I start to investigate access via the DB items - my network has the following (just via wireless, if I co-connected the Ethernet I assume it would double up the items):

192.168.1.8:80-DashBox
192.168.1.8:8001-GEM Via DashBox Com1
192.168.1.8:8001-GEM Via DashBox Com2
192.168.1.74:80-GEM (WiFi/Ether) Network Setup
192.168.1.74:8000-GEM (WiFi/Ethernet)

Some of these are HTTP servers and I guess some are IP COM ports or something? Does this mean the -COM1 is a sink one can listen for events on etc?

None of this matters right now, just trying to understand the system. I have setup my DashBox and it is now sending info to SEG :-)
ben
Site Admin

Re: Can the GEM send to SEG and the DashBox at the same time

Post by ben » Thu May 22, 2014 10:41 am

scyto wrote:Depends on what the product strategy is as to whether bridging makes sense. For example if the long term strategy is that the DB becomes a key component then why bother even having server mode on the GEM? Just send the data to the DB and make it do all the work!
We don't want to "force" people to purchase the DB when there's other methods of monitoring data that are free. Also there's service providers, tinkerers (all of our packet formats are up and documented at http://www.brultech.com/software), etc. Plus it's already implemented and can be accessed through the DB (see below).
scyto wrote: And that's before I start to investigate access via the DB items - my network has the following (just via wireless, if I co-connected the Ethernet I assume it would double up the items):

192.168.1.8:80-DashBox
192.168.1.8:8001-GEM Via DashBox Com1
192.168.1.8:8001-GEM Via DashBox Com2
192.168.1.74:80-GEM (WiFi/Ether) Network Setup
192.168.1.74:8000-GEM (WiFi/Ethernet)

Some of these are HTTP servers and I guess some are IP COM ports or something? Does this mean the -COM1 is a sink one can listen for events on etc?

None of this matters right now, just trying to understand the system. I have setup my DashBox and it is now sending info to SEG :-)
8:8001/8002 bridge TCP to COM1/COM2 so you can use those to communicate with the GEM Setup Page. It interrupts data logging while active however.
scyto wrote:In my mind one should always be able to get the network setup page and always get to GEM setup page.

We've recently been in contact with the manufacturer of the WiFi/Ethernet module we use and they've implemented a way to have 2 separate TCP connections (one is strictly Client mode). We're working on implementing this into our system.

Ethernet and WiFi have an option to use a "Mixed" mode, what happens is that there's a setting which will kill any connection after X seconds of inactivity ("idle time"). The WiFi/Ethernet doesn't have that option.
scyto wrote:Where I am struggling is why the network UART page is where one configures 'server' to send to SEG and why enabling that kills the main GEM setup page and why the SEG instructions for Ethernet Only/ WiFi Only / WiFi & Ethernet options are so different!

Instructions are different as they're 3 completely different modules unfortunately. We originally planned on only have 2 options, WiFi or Ethernet. The WiFi module we planned on using turned out to be extremely buggy and we only discovered how bad it was after having a bunch of boards made up. They've since resolved the issues, and the WiFi module works good now, but it took about 6-12 months for it to reach that point so we had to find something else to use in terms of WiFi (thus the WiFi/Ethernet module).

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.