Dashbox - Calculations?

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
mkii_turbo

Dashbox - Calculations?

Post by mkii_turbo » Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Greetings all,

I've had my GEM installed for just over 9 months, uploading data to SEG (18 channels) with great success (https://smartenergygroups.com/groups/al ... ergy_usage).

The hardware has been very robust and required very little attention.

One feature I wish to incorporate into my system is an efficiency calculation of my heat pump based upon KW into the heat pump, temp in and temp out of the air handler (1 wire sensors), known air flow volumes (CFM), etc.

Can the Dashbox calculate and display a value from multiple inputs along with some basic math (subtraction/addition and division/multiplication)? Also it would be nice to keep a copy of my energy usage data onsite as well so the Dashbox will also cover this requirement. From the limited amount I've read on the Dashbox I've generally seen it just display KW/H total's for certain periods, instantaneous values, etc.

Thanks.

Alf.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Dashbox - Calculations?

Post by ben » Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 pm

mkii_turbo wrote:Greetings all,

I've had my GEM installed for just over 9 months, uploading data to SEG (18 channels) with great success (https://smartenergygroups.com/groups/al ... ergy_usage).

The hardware has been very robust and required very little attention.

One feature I wish to incorporate into my system is an efficiency calculation of my heat pump based upon KW into the heat pump, temp in and temp out of the air handler (1 wire sensors), known air flow volumes (CFM), etc.

Can the Dashbox calculate and display a value from multiple inputs along with some basic math (subtraction/addition and division/multiplication)? Also it would be nice to keep a copy of my energy usage data onsite as well so the Dashbox will also cover this requirement. From the limited amount I've read on the Dashbox I've generally seen it just display KW/H total's for certain periods, instantaneous values, etc.

Thanks.

Alf.
Not something it can do right now, but it could be something implemented in the future. Something like Load 1 <operator> Load 2 <operator> Load 3... by the hour?

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
mkii_turbo

Re: Dashbox - Calculations?

Post by mkii_turbo » Thu May 22, 2014 8:16 am

Ben,

Exactly... Something like this, very basic math:

KW into structure = (CFM of air handler (fixed value) * (3.194 x 10^4)) * (GEM Temp sensor 1 - Temp Sensor 2)

KW into heat pump = KW reading from an GEM input or combination of inputs

Coefficient of performance (COP)= KW into structure / KW into heat pump

It would be ideal if this could be done instantaneously or on a longer time periods.

I realize you're swamped with development and bug fixes, so no pressure. Great job on the products so far.

Thanks for the response.