I'm new and this is a bit overwhelming....

Discuss anything which doesn't fall into the other categories here.
scyto

I'm new and this is a bit overwhelming....

Post by scyto » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:28 pm

1) are there any approved installers in the Seattle area who are experience in putting in a GEM can do the hard work of helping me understand what to buy??

2) how do I know which circuits have neutral? I replaced most of my light switches recently with Insteon and z-wave and every switch had a neutral in it. I should I assume every circuit has a neutral?

3) is there a set of templates some where that make it easy for me t document my panel? maybe a one note / word / excel doc or something?

Edit - I put my panel details in the project forum.
Teken

Re: I'm new and this is a bit overwhelming....

Post by Teken » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:57 am

scyto wrote:1) are there any approved installers in the Seattle area who are experience in putting in a GEM can do the hard work of helping me understand what to buy??

2) how do I know which circuits have neutral? I replaced most of my light switches recently with Insteon and z-wave and every switch had a neutral in it. I should I assume every circuit has a neutral?

3) is there a set of templates some where that make it easy for me t document my panel? maybe a one note / word / excel doc or something?

1. There are no approved installers. Please state what your intent is and how many circuits you wish to monitor. Everyone would be more then happy to assist you in providing feed back as to what would meet your needs.

2. This reference guide may assist you with the questions: http://www.brultech.com/products/ECM124 ... ircuit.htm

The only way to determine if a load has a neutral is to confirm at the service panel. Your lights use the neutral wire to power the Insteon devices. It is not the same as a load that is a split 120/ 240 load.

3. Just replied to your other thread and the template looks great.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 am

scyto wrote:1) are there any approved installers in the Seattle area who are experience in putting in a GEM can do the hard work of helping me understand what to buy??

2) Knowing neutral is only important if you want to save a CT or two. You can just double up on CTs on each 240V circuit and avoid having to determine that.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks ben, does doubling up half the number of channels i.e. two channels needed per circuit? Or do the two CTs go on the same channel?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:39 am

scyto wrote:Thanks ben, does doubling up half the number of channels i.e. two channels needed per circuit? Or do the two CTs go on the same channel?
They go on the same channel. You can combine multiple CTs on any channel (we recommend splicing externally when going over 2 CTs on one channel).

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
scyto

Post by scyto » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 am

Got it, I downloaded the manual last night and see they have 4 connectors per channel :oops:

some more questions:

Should I assume that I put more than 2 on a channel to aggregate across multiple circuits (i.e. to get my channel count down to 32?).

Do you guys know of anyone (electrician) in the Seattle area that could do this with me, not sure I want to start playing inside the breaker box.... though the generac switch allows me to easily disconnect service so.... maybe.... :-)

Also any chance of the expansion module for more channels that Teken keeps bugging you guys about :-)
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:14 am

scyto wrote:Got it, I downloaded the manual last night and see they have 4 connectors per channel :oops:
The 4 connection per channel is to accommodate the 2 different CT types. Micro-CTs you connect to Ports 2,3 of any channel, they're combined in parallel.

Split CTs are wired to 1,2 or 3,4. Any additional Split-CTs added to a channel have to be connected in series.
scyto wrote: Should I assume that I put more than 2 on a channel to aggregate across multiple circuits (i.e. to get my channel count down to 32?).
If you want to monitor everything and have more than 32 circuits the yeah, you'll have to combine a few.
scyto wrote:Do you guys know of anyone (electrician) in the Seattle area that could do this with me, not sure I want to start playing inside the breaker box.... though the generac switch allows me to easily disconnect service so.... maybe.... :-)
Don't know anyone on hand, any electrician should be able to install it however.
scyto wrote:Also any chance of the expansion module for more channels that Teken keeps bugging you guys about :-)
We haven't done anything beyond discuss the expansion module as of yet unfortunately.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.