Difficulty getting Dashboard to display Virtual Channels

Ask questions about the GEM here.
jloram

Difficulty getting Dashboard to display Virtual Channels

Post by jloram » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Dashboard is up and running with a GEM and an ECM-1240. I'm running ECM Engine G ver. 2.48

I've set up the Virtual "Main Panel Channels" to be composed of three Gem real channels monitoring the feed to three subpanels. Virtual Channel 1 is the sum of three Airconditioning units on three Gem channels, and Virtual Channel 2 is two water heaters on two Gem channels. I've set up aliases for the Virtural Channels.
VirturalChannelSetUp.png
VirturalChannelSetUp.png (24.46 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Engine G's 'Real Time Display' looks right (has the right values)
RealTimeDisplay.png
RealTimeDisplay.png (34.49 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
But, while Dashboard shows the aliases of the Virtual Channels, it does not show the graphs or data.
NoVirtualChannelsDashboard.png
NoVirtualChannelsDashboard.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Is there an Engine G user manual/document that provides details on setting up Virtual Channels?

thanks, getting closer, -john-
ben
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty getting Dashboard to display Virtual Channels

Post by ben » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am

I'm wondering if this is due to lack of data, is there any graphs there yet?

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jloram

Post by jloram » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 pm

ben wrote:I'm wondering if this is due to lack of data, is there any graphs there yet?

Ben
You may be on the right track. I can get a bar chart on the "Summary Tab" for "Last Two Days" and longer periods, and on the "Historical Data" tab for Weekly and longer periods, but nothing on "Live Data" tab, and nothing on any tab for periods of less than two days.

-john-
jloram

Post by jloram » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

ben wrote:I'm wondering if this is due to lack of data, is there any graphs there yet?

Ben
After serveral days I was able to to get Dashboard to display KWH charts for the virtural channels, but never Watt charts. For example: On the Summary tab I get charts for "Last Day (KWH)", but nothing for "Last 24 hour (Watts)", and the Live Data tab does not display any charts for the Virtual Channels. Is that to be expected?
-john-
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:59 am

jloram wrote: After serveral days I was able to to get Dashboard to display KWH charts for the virtural channels, but never Watt charts. For example: On the Summary tab I get charts for "Last Day (KWH)", but nothing for "Last 24 hour (Watts)", and the Live Data tab does not display any charts for the Virtual Channels. Is that to be expected?
-john-
There's a more up-to-date dashboard version here, not sure if it'll fix the problem though. Uninstall the Dashboard (not Cassini) and use the DashboardSetup.msi file to reinstall it.

http://brultech.com/files/Release32.zip
http://brultech.com/files/Release64.zip
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jloram

Post by jloram » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 pm

ben wrote:
jloram wrote: After serveral days I was able to to get Dashboard to display KWH charts for the virtural channels, but never Watt charts. For example: On the Summary tab I get charts for "Last Day (KWH)", but nothing for "Last 24 hour (Watts)", and the Live Data tab does not display any charts for the Virtual Channels. Is that to be expected?
-john-
There's a more up-to-date dashboard version here, not sure if it'll fix the problem though. Uninstall the Dashboard (not Cassini) and use the DashboardSetup.msi file to reinstall it.

Ah yes! Thank you, Ben. This version has improvements in several areas, though not in display the virtual channels.

At your suggestion I took a look at using third party software to support all the new features in the GEM (1-wire thermal sensing, pulse counting channels, etc.), but I'd rather not open that can of worms just yet, (though I admire the efforts of those that have). Will Brultech be releasing full software support for the GEM any time soon?

-john-
Teken

Post by Teken » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:36 am

jloram wrote:
ben wrote:
-john-

Ah yes! Thank you, Ben. This version has improvements in several areas, though not in display the virtual channels.

At your suggestion I took a look at using third party software to support all the new features in the GEM (1-wire thermal sensing, pulse counting channels, etc.), but I'd rather not open that can of worms just yet, (though I admire the efforts of those that have). Will Brultech be releasing full software support for the GEM any time soon?

-john-
John,

I can't speak for Brultech. But, the Dash Box (DB) does indeed support the capture and rendering of the pulse, 1 wire sensing, and voltage. Right now, they are hard at work in integrating the current / amps into the DB and the ISY.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
jloram

Post by jloram » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Teken wrote:
jloram wrote: Ah yes! Thank you, Ben. This version has improvements in several areas, though not in display the virtual channels.

-john-
John,

I can't speak for Brultech. But, the Dash Box (DB) does indeed support the capture and rendering of the pulse, 1 wire sensing, and voltage. Right now, they are hard at work in integrating the current / amps into the DB and the ISY.

Teken . . .
The Dash Box is an interesting project though I confess that I don't entirely understand it's value. For $300 (am I right? Is that the price?) there are a number of other possibilities (Low end laptops, Android Tablets, even discarded Smartphones), that would provide greater functionality. What it seem to me is really needed is Brultech software to support the Brultech hardware products instead of the current fragmented approach of everybody spinning there own solutions.

But, perhaps Ben or Paul could speak to this and provide us with an overview to their intentions.

-john-
Teken

Post by Teken » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:18 pm

jloram wrote:
The Dash Box is an interesting project though I confess that I don't entirely understand it's value. For $300 (am I right? Is that the price?) there are a number of other possibilities (Low end laptops, Android Tablets, even discarded Smartphones), that would provide greater functionality. What it seem to me is really needed is Brultech software to support the Brultech hardware products instead of the current fragmented approach of everybody spinning there own solutions.

But, perhaps Ben or Paul could speak to this and provide us with an overview to their intentions.

-john-
Hello John,

The Dash Box (DB) in my view is a one stop shop solution for a energy monitoring data base. As I am sure you can relate, there is a small percentage of people who are more than capable to develop, integrate, and deploy their own solution.

There are however a large majority of users (consumers) who are not developers, integrators, and deployment techs. The DB is a great solution for those consumer(s) who simply wants a off the shelf plug and play device.

The DB is small in size, energy efficient (4 watts), and integrates tightly with the GEM. It continues to be developed and upgraded to provide the end user more power and data tracking.

Many folks would freak if they had to deploy a Linux Server, SMTP Server, SQL Server, etc etc. All of these aspects the *Avid Tweeker / Tinkerer* is more than happy to do. The Average Joe is simply not prepared or interested in doing so.

Consumers want a turn key solution that simply plugs in. Requires about 5-10 minutes set up time, and be on their way. The DB provides this turn key solution to those wanting their cake and eating it too! :mrgreen:

Speaking for myself only: I could not build a box, add in all the required software, and maintain it, to do all of the things the DB does for me. The DB is aprox $225.XX before tax's and shipping and any extra accessories the end user wants.

If you have not read the review I have created about the DB please do. It may provide you more insight as to the attributes and the benefits of such.

Cheers

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
jloram

Post by jloram » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Teken wrote:
jloram wrote:

-john-
Hello John,

The Dash Box (DB) in my view is a one stop shop solution for a energy monitoring data base. As I am sure you can relate, there is a small percentage of people who are more than capable to develop, integrate, and deploy their own solution.

There are however a large majority of users (consumers) who are not developers, integrators, and deployment techs. The DB is a great solution for those consumer(s) who simply wants a off the shelf plug and play device.

The DB is small in size, energy efficient (4 watts), and integrates tightly with the GEM. It continues to be developed and upgraded to provide the end user more power and data tracking.

Many folks would freak if they had to deploy a Linux Server, SMTP Server, SQL Server, etc etc. All of these aspects the *Avid Tweeker / Tinkerer* is more than happy to do. The Average Joe is simply not prepared or interested in doing so.

Consumers want a turn key solution that simply plugs in. Requires about 5-10 minutes set up time, and be on their way. The DB provides this turn key solution to those wanting their cake and eating it too! :mrgreen:

Speaking for myself only: I could not build a box, add in all the required software, and maintain it, to do all of the things the DB does for me. The DB is aprox $225.XX before tax's and shipping and any extra accessories the end user wants.

If you have not read the review I have created about the DB please do. It may provide you more insight as to the attributes and the benefits of such.

Cheers

Teken . . .
I agree with much of what you have said, Teken. I think the vast majority of users want a simple solution (as do I). What could be more "one stop" than loading a piece of software on an existing computer? That's all I'm arguing for.

I run Brultech Dashboard software on an old Dell laptop with Windows XP that draws 6 watts when the display turns off. Admittedly 1-2 watts more than the Dashbox. It doesn't require that I "deploy a Linux Server, SMTP Server, SQL Server, etc etc." because it all there. Dashboard installs easily, runs reliably, and with just a bit more development it would completely support the GEM's new features.

I don't know what the original thinking was when Dashboard development was stopped and the Dashbox product conceived. I suspect it was mostly about the low power consumption, so you didn't have to keep a desktop running to log data from the EMC/GEM monitors. But there are existing solutions which have advantages over a dedicated (and costly) device.
-john-