Difficulty getting Dashboard to display Virtual Channels

Ask questions about the GEM here.
Teken

Re: Difficulty getting Dashboard to display Virtual Channels

Post by Teken » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm

jloram wrote:
Teken wrote:
jloram wrote:
The Dash Box is an interesting project though I confess that I don't entirely understand it's value. For $300 (am I right? Is that the price?) there are a number of other possibilities (Low end laptops, Android Tablets, even discarded Smartphones), that would provide greater functionality. What it seem to me is really needed is Brultech software to support the Brultech hardware products instead of the current fragmented approach of everybody spinning there own solutions.

But, perhaps Ben or Paul could speak to this and provide us with an overview to their intentions.

-john-
Hello John,

The Dash Box (DB) in my view is a one stop shop solution for a energy monitoring data base. As I am sure you can relate, there is a small percentage of people who are more than capable to develop, integrate, and deploy their own solution.

There are however a large majority of users (consumers) who are not developers, integrators, and deployment techs. The DB is a great solution for those consumer(s) who simply wants a off the shelf plug and play device.

The DB is small in size, energy efficient (4 watts), and integrates tightly with the GEM. It continues to be developed and upgraded to provide the end user more power and data tracking.

Many folks would freak if they had to deploy a Linux Server, SMTP Server, SQL Server, etc etc. All of these aspects the *Avid Tweeker / Tinkerer* is more than happy to do. The Average Joe is simply not prepared or interested in doing so.

Consumers want a turn key solution that simply plugs in. Requires about 5-10 minutes set up time, and be on their way. The DB provides this turn key solution to those wanting their cake and eating it too! :mrgreen:

Speaking for myself only: I could not build a box, add in all the required software, and maintain it, to do all of the things the DB does for me. The DB is aprox $225.XX before tax's and shipping and any extra accessories the end user wants.

If you have not read the review I have created about the DB please do. It may provide you more insight as to the attributes and the benefits of such.

Cheers

Teken . . .
I agree with much of what you have said, Teken. I think the vast majority of users want a simple solution (as do I). What could be more "one stop" than loading a piece of software on an existing computer? That's all I'm arguing for.

I run Brultech Dashboard software on an old Dell laptop with Windows XP that draws 6 watts when the display turns off. Admittedly 1-2 watts more than the Dashbox. It doesn't require that I "deploy a Linux Server, SMTP Server, SQL Server, etc etc." because it all there. Dashboard installs easily, runs reliably, and with just a bit more development it would completely support the GEM's new features.

I don't know what the original thinking was when Dashboard development was stopped and the Dashbox product conceived. I suspect it was mostly about the low power consumption, so you didn't have to keep a desktop running to log data from the EMC/GEM monitors. But there are existing solutions which have advantages over a dedicated (and costly) device.
-john-
Understood and I agree on all points. I tried as I may and simply could not get the Dash Board to do all the things I wanted. I also did not have all the pretty graphs and options the SEG provides me.

During my initial start up it was quite frankly a bear to get the software to the most basic level I could accept. With the advent of the SEG allowing the same data from the GEM to be recorded and be displayed. I simply decided my efforts and time were better spent on migrating my data to the SEG.

The primary driver for me purchasing the DB was that the SEG has from time to time been out of service or not reachable?? :| With this ever present danger hanging over my head I needed a on site solution that could not only store my historic data, but also push the same to the SEG.

The DB does this and more in spades! :P

I have the best of both worlds where the DB can store my data locally, while at the same time push the same data to the SEG. It is a measure of redundancy that works perfect in my environment and lifestyle.

I know lots of folks are not made of money and I try hard to use / reuse any equipment on hand. But, in my view this was a small investment from me, in many future benefits to come. I can now focus on other things more important to me, and not have to worry about if my energy data is being stored or captured.

I have too many things to do in my life than to worry about *yet another project* like a data base! :ugeek:

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:32 pm

jloram wrote: I agree with much of what you have said, Teken. I think the vast majority of users want a simple solution (as do I). What could be more "one stop" than loading a piece of software on an existing computer? That's all I'm arguing for.

I run Brultech Dashboard software on an old Dell laptop with Windows XP that draws 6 watts when the display turns off. Admittedly 1-2 watts more than the Dashbox. It doesn't require that I "deploy a Linux Server, SMTP Server, SQL Server, etc etc." because it all there. Dashboard installs easily, runs reliably, and with just a bit more development it would completely support the GEM's new features.

I don't know what the original thinking was when Dashboard development was stopped and the Dashbox product conceived. I suspect it was mostly about the low power consumption, so you didn't have to keep a desktop running to log data from the EMC/GEM monitors. But there are existing solutions which have advantages over a dedicated (and costly) device.
-john-
The idea behind DashBox is to provide a simple plug and play solution for those who want something that just works. We tried to provide something like this with My1240.com, but had the issue where the free 3rd party host we sent data to shutdown. We want to provide something without having to tie into a website with subscription fees or have your data hosted by a 3rd party.

We don't intend on having anyone stuck having to purchase the DashBox, it's meant to be a premium option. The fee for the DashBox is to fund current and ongoing hardware/software development and support for itself.

We are working on a replacement for the current Dashboard software (or something you may wish to run in conjunction with it). We have a "light" version of the DashBox software we plan on releasing for those who just want a simple solution to run on their server. It's a PHP-kit that can be run using XAMPP or any other server software/web server (basically, same sort of thing as Cassini/Dashboard). For anyone else snooping, we can provide a copy of it with proof of purchase.

We aren't imposing many restrictions on developing off of it if anyone feels inclined besides integrating competing energy monitors (circuit-level that is, I don't see an issue with integrating a plug-level monitor). I still need to properly comment the code however.

Running it requires something like installing XAMPP and extracting the zip archive to the webroot (which in XAMPPs case is "htdocs"), switching the GEM over to HTTP Get format (using the standalone dash option for Data Post) and directing it at the server IP. We're working on instructions for this, we'd like to eventually have it all in an easy installer but need to look more into the different license agreements/etc.

Send me an email over and I'll send a copy of it. You can check out the latest working version here: http://my1240.com/standalone/ although I don't think it has a data stream currently running.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
rnoble

Post by rnoble » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:24 am

I have a question related to what is being discussed here...

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a GEM, but the access to usage data is still a little unclear to me... I understand that the standalone GEM (with Ethernet option in my case) can connect to SEG for public broadcast. As with many others, I'd also like to have a locally hosted option. I have a home server which I could easily install the Dashboard software on. I would hope that this would work just like the DashBox. Is this true? What is involved in using Dashboard as a local host? Is Dashboard being further developed? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
Ryan
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:34 pm

rnoble wrote:I have a question related to what is being discussed here...

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a GEM, but the access to usage data is still a little unclear to me... I understand that the standalone GEM (with Ethernet option in my case) can connect to SEG for public broadcast. As with many others, I'd also like to have a locally hosted option. I have a home server which I could easily install the Dashboard software on. I would hope that this would work just like the DashBox. Is this true? What is involved in using Dashboard as a local host? Is Dashboard being further developed? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
Ryan
The Engine/Dashboard software works via ECM-1240 Simulation. It's no longer being developed.

We have a PHP-kit that can be run on a local server, we're currently giving it away with GEM/ECM purchase. You can contact me if you want a copy of that.

There's also btmon.py: http://lancet.mit.edu/mwall/projects/power/ that can be used. You could self-host Emoncms (http://emoncms.org/) and use that and/or Cacti in combination with it.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ivanrangelingenieria

Post by ivanrangelingenieria » Wed May 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi everyone, I have the same problem (or a similar one) with Dashboard.
For example I want to display the historical data, in hourly I don’t have problems (see picture), the graph shows me measured data (ENERGIA TOTAL is the only one that actually has a real measured) with virtual channels, just perfect.
DASHBOARD1.JPG
DASHBOARD1.JPG (75.01 KiB) Viewed 985 times
But daily (or even other option) the graph only shows me real measured data (see pictures, in this case “ENERGIA TOTAL” is the only real measure), in this case, I don’t see my virtual channel data. This is annoying because I made mistakes in the readings, and this cause a lot of confusion.
So I plan to measure the entire panel (load center) I just need other 4 micro CT’s and activate 2 aux inputs. But I want to know, if it is possible to display the virtual channels in Historical Data. Note: I reinstall the Dashboard software, and the problem continues.
DASHBOARD2.JPG
DASHBOARD2.JPG (76.28 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Other problem that I found is in the Consumption Target display, cause I think that it shows (in the graph) WH not KWH, and in the table it shows KWH instead of WH. If you can see in the picture.
DASHBOARD3.JPG
DASHBOARD3.JPG (95.5 KiB) Viewed 985 times
So, I want to ask if there is a solution that not involves programming issues or similar ones?