EngineG with Green Eye

Ask questions about the GEM here.
bbroge

EngineG with Green Eye

Post by bbroge » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:53 am

Hi, I'm having some trouble with this. I am trying to use the engine g and am able to get the software to connect but no packets are incrementing... and my device never changes to blue.

I know that physically everything appears to be hooked up properly and the GreenEyeSetup.jar is able to communicate just fine. However a couple things I want to mention just in case...

1) My system status is mostly green, but blinks red about every 10 seconds...It appears to detect my PT because if I unplug that it changes steady red.

2) The software (GreenEyeSetup.jar) doesn't seem to detect my PT. It never shows the version info in the software. Sometimes, however intermittently, it will show the com firmware as 1.70 (after choosing get settings)

Any ideas?

Thanks.
ben
Site Admin

Re: EngineG with Green Eye

Post by ben » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm

bbroge wrote:1) My system status is mostly green, but blinks red about every 10 seconds...It appears to detect my PT because if I unplug that it changes steady red.

2) The software (GreenEyeSetup.jar) doesn't seem to detect my PT. It never shows the version info in the software. Sometimes, however intermittently, it will show the com firmware as 1.70 (after choosing get settings)
1/2) There looks to be a bug in the setup program with that. If you don't have a red light blinking and have a voltage reading above 0-0.1ish, your PT is working fine. I'll patch that up most likely today.

Make sure your System Settings is set to ECM-1240 Simulation mode, and Real-Time is on. You should see a bunch of gibberish coming in the Debug section.

The first device will be your serial number (without the leading zero), then the 2nd to 5th device will be that number incremented each time.

Does the TCP/IP connection connect fine in the Engine software?

I've attached a document which may be a little dated, but outlines the general procedure to do so.

Ben
Attachments
EngineSetup_GEM.pdf
(285.11 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
bbroge

Post by bbroge » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 pm

Cool, The PDF Doc you attached solved my issue! Thank you very much.
jloram

Post by jloram » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:28 pm

ben wrote:
1/2) There looks to be a bug in the setup program with that. If you don't have a red light blinking and have a voltage reading above 0-0.1ish, your PT is working fine. I'll patch that up most likely today.

Make sure your System Settings is set to ECM-1240 Simulation mode, and Real-Time is on. You should see a bunch of gibberish coming in the Debug section.

The first device will be your serial number (without the leading zero), then the 2nd to 5th device will be that number incremented each time.

Does the TCP/IP connection connect fine in the Engine software?

I've attached a document which may be a little dated, but outlines the general procedure to do so.

Ben
I too am struggleing to marry the GEM and Engine G... Same symptoms as above. The GEM is set to emulate the ECM-1240 and realtime is turned on. With a port sniffer I can see what looks like ECM packets coming in on the ethernet port. Engine G is set up per this document (six ports, one gem and one ECM), and is listening on the right port for the GEM, but never increments the packet count.
-john-
p.s. Is there support for the 1-wire temperature sensors in the Engine G/Dashboard combo? thanks, -john-
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:38 am

jloram wrote: I too am struggleing to marry the GEM and Engine G... Same symptoms as above. The GEM is set to emulate the ECM-1240 and realtime is turned on. With a port sniffer I can see what looks like ECM packets coming in on the ethernet port. Engine G is set up per this document (six ports, one gem and one ECM), and is listening on the right port for the GEM, but never increments the packet count.
-john-
p.s. Is there support for the 1-wire temperature sensors in the Engine G/Dashboard combo? thanks, -john-
There's no support for 1-wire temperature with the Engine G/Dashboard combo. You're better off switching to something like SmartEnergyGroups.com or btmon.py once you get into stuff like that.

Can you send me or attach a screenshot of your EngineG page with the ECM-1240 devices?

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jloram

Post by jloram » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:33 pm

ben wrote:
jloram wrote: I too am struggleing to marry the GEM and Engine G... Same symptoms as above. The GEM is set to emulate the ECM-1240 and realtime is turned on. With a port sniffer I can see what looks like ECM packets coming in on the ethernet port. Engine G is set up per this document (six ports, one gem and one ECM), and is listening on the right port for the GEM, but never increments the packet count.
-john-
There's no support for 1-wire temperature with the Engine G/Dashboard combo. You're better off switching to something like SmartEnergyGroups.com or btmon.py once you get into stuff like that.
Ben
When will full software support for the GEM be available from Brultech?
ben wrote: Can you send me or attach a screenshot of your EngineG page with the ECM-1240 devices?
Ben
Here it is...

-john-
Attachments
ECM-1240ENG for GEM.png
ECM-1240ENG for GEM.png (33.9 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:45 pm

jloram wrote:
ben wrote:
-john-
Ben
ben wrote: Can you send me or attach a screenshot of your EngineG page with the ECM-1240 devices?
Ben
Here it is...

-john-
Looks right, do any packets come in when you connect with the IA software? Attach a screenshot of the Xbee Commands tab in the IA software also.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jloram

Post by jloram » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Ben[/quote]
Ben
Here it is...

-john-[/quote]
ben wrote:Looks right, do any packets come in when you connect with the IA software?Ben
As previously reported (you said you'd pass it on to Paul), when I attempt to use the IA software (set up as a Server), when I click the listen button the port field goes green and I immediatly get a "Runtime error '5', Invalid proceedure call or argument).
ben wrote: Attach a screenshot of the Xbee Commands tab in the IA software also.
Here is the xBee page from the engine software. (I'm not using xBee)... I'm using wired ethernet.
-john-
Attachments
ECM-1240ENG for GEMxBee.png
ECM-1240ENG for GEMxBee.png (21.87 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 am

The Xbee Commands tab will show anything that comes in from the connected monitor.

The "Alive" coming in indicates that your GEM doesn't have Real-Time enabled. If you go to the Setup page on your GEM, in the top-right where it lists Serial Number, etc, it'll also tell you the current "RealTime Status". You want it to say "ON".

Under Packet Send you can set this value ON or OFF.

Also, make sure to click the Exit Setup button when done.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jloram

Post by jloram » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:01 pm

ben wrote:The Xbee Commands tab will show anything that comes in from the connected monitor.

The "Alive" coming in indicates that your GEM doesn't have Real-Time enabled. If you go to the Setup page on your GEM, in the top-right where it lists Serial Number, etc, it'll also tell you the current "RealTime Status". You want it to say "ON".

Under Packet Send you can set this value ON or OFF.

Also, make sure to click the Exit Setup button when done.

Ben
Since the GEM was set up with Packet Send turned on and the LED was blinking every 10 second, out of desperation I went to another system on the LAN and load up Engine G, configured it the same way, and the data start right up! (thanks for the tip on using the Xbee tab to monitor the data flow). I then went and did a fresh install of WinXPpro on the old Dell lap top that I'm using for household data collection, and Engine G started right up. No Problems... I guess doing a fresh install once every 8 years should be consider mandatory maintenance! Oh, and the RS232->USB adapter with the Prolific chip set which had been giving me fits on this old system, is working fine with Engine G Ver 2.48!

thanks for the help, Ben, -john-