EngineG with Green Eye

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: EngineG with Green Eye

Post by ben » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:37 pm

jloram wrote: Since the GEM was set up with Packet Send turned on and the LED was blinking every 10 second, out of desperation I went to another system on the LAN and load up Engine G, configured it the same way, and the data start right up! (thanks for the tip on using the Xbee tab to monitor the data flow). I then went and did a fresh install of WinXPpro on the old Dell lap top that I'm using for household data collection, and Engine G started right up. No Problems... I guess doing a fresh install once every 8 years should be consider mandatory maintenance! Oh, and the RS232->USB adapter with the Prolific chip set which had been giving me fits on this old system, is working fine with Engine G Ver 2.48!

thanks for the help, Ben, -john-
Very strange, but glad to hear its going.

Those Prolific cables can cause a fair bit of issues due to faulty drivers (byte-swapping, etc). I suggest keeping an eye on corrupt packets to make sure its working fine. They're tallied in that box labelled "Reserved" on the "Communication/Setup" tab of the Engine software.

Was this cable being used when the IA software was crashing?

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jloram

Post by jloram » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:16 pm

ben wrote:
jloram wrote:...Oh, and the RS232->USB adapter with the Prolific chip set which had been giving me fits on this old system, is working fine with Engine G Ver 2.48!

thanks for the help, Ben, -john-
Those Prolific cables can cause a fair bit of issues due to faulty drivers (byte-swapping, etc). I suggest keeping an eye on corrupt packets to make sure its working fine. They're tallied in that box labelled "Reserved" on the "Communication/Setup" tab of the Engine software.

Was this cable being used when the IA software was crashing?

Ben
I will keep an eye on it.

I tried both an ethernet connection and the USB->RS-232 connection on the GEM set up to emulate five ECM-1240s. Neither connection worked until I did a fresh install of WinXPpro. Then both connection methods worked.
-john-
jloram

Post by jloram » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:10 pm

ben wrote:...There's no support for 1-wire temperature with the Engine G/Dashboard combo. You're better off switching to something like SmartEnergyGroups.com or btmon.py once you get into stuff like that.
Ben
Can we anticipate a "Engine G / Dashboard" combo, or similar, with full GEM support any time in the near future?
thanks, Ben, -john-