My SEG Group Link

Ask questions about the GEM here.
Teken

Re: My SEG Group Link

Post by Teken » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 am

ben wrote:
Teken wrote: Glad its pumping out data for you now. As you clearly noted, you will not have direct access to the GEM via the Java Setup after you have made these changes.

You may notice some frustrating behavior when you try to switch back and forth. You will notice that the system data, and all other data will consistently appear blank.

Even if you click on the refresh nothing will happen . . . You will also see the streams scrolling across the system settings page where you would normally see the engine / firmware revisions. :roll:

At the end of the day as long as I can get the data out and have it captured accurately its not too big of a deal. The GEM Java Setup still needs to be improved upon regardless, and that whole EtherX and the rest of the older apps need to be retired for good.

Teken . . .
I'll try and get an update out for some of these bugs, going to try stopping/starting real-time before sending the request commands. That should clear up any packet collision.

Feel free to send me any comments on the GEM setup to my email (ben(at)brultech.com), and I'll look into integrating/fixing/etc.

Ben
Ben,

I appreciate all of the support, and the continued improvements to the GEM product. I would like others to be clear on a few points though.

I knew that the GEM was very close to being a full production unit. I also knew there would be a few small quirks in the software and that it would be improved upon over time.

As I have stated many times in various HA forums the hardware is rock solid. I am extremely pleased with the ease of installation and the level of accuracy the CT's & GEM have been able to provide me thus far.

I don't want anyone to take what I stated about the older software as other than it needs to be retired and has no reflection on the GEM product line. Once the final manual and GEM software has been given enough time to mature, the other remaining 5% will be complete.

As an aside: One of the improvements I would like to see is the ability to see the live data via the GEM Setup with out switching back and forth the DNS / IP's.

I would also like to see the ability to make changes to the GEM with out interfering with SEG website.

Also, to see a auto update for the latest firmware for the various engine / system software available. Release notes of what has been fixed / resolved would also be nice.

A HELP file in the Java application to inform the user of common configurations. Also a button to either reverse any previous changes, or to default the GEM to a factory state.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Re: My SEG Group Link

Post by ben » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Teken wrote: As an aside: One of the improvements I would like to see is the ability to see the live data via the GEM Setup with out switching back and forth the DNS / IP's.

I would also like to see the ability to make changes to the GEM with out interfering with SEG website.
I'm not sure if we've made this clear, but the GEM actually has 2 comm. ports. So, it's possible that you could hook up a Serial-to-USB/EtherPort/etc adapter to the Rx/Tx/GND terminals on the 2nd comm. port and still have local access.

The live data is a whole other subject though, we would like to be able to send different packet formats to different comm. ports, but it'll be awhile until we get there.
Teken wrote: Also, to see a auto update for the latest firmware for the various engine / system software available. Release notes of what has been fixed / resolved would also be nice.
Yeah, we're working towards revamping our site. Having the ability to sign up, and send email alerts on a per-file basis is a plan.
Teken wrote: A HELP file in the Java application to inform the user of common configurations. Also a button to either reverse any previous changes, or to default the GEM to a factory state.
Yeah, I will probably start on a PDF manual soon, then go from there.

Ben
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com