System Settings - Default PT Values?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
virtualfreak

System Settings - Default PT Values?

Post by virtualfreak » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Ben,

When I opened the GEM Setup 1.7 and navigated to the system icon, on system settings I changed the packet format and clicked save settings. What I didn't notice is the PT settings were blank and now all my real-time data readings are zero. I experimented and using 192/3 was able to get accurate power readings.

Two questions, are the setting I used OK? and what is the purpose of this PT system setting if each channel can be configured manually or with a preset.

Thanks,
VF
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (28.71 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
topherhansen

Re: System Settings - Default PT Values?

Post by topherhansen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:07 am

Tool tips on all of the settings in GemSetup would be very nice. I'm having trouble with parsing the manuals on how to do all my setup right now. I'm getting readings from everything, but I don't know (other than trial and error) if I'm doing things right.

I played with the type/range of the PT until it was close to 120V on the Real-Time data feed as I could. It ended up being Type 92 and Range 2 for me.

I also had difficulties (and still am) calibrating my Channels.
I used the presets for Split 200's and micro-80's and micro-40's, but I'm pretty sure the watts are wrong. I've got a killawatt out to test on some of the 15 watt channels I have, but I can't use that on anything larger.
topherhansen

Post by topherhansen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:11 am

I just played with the range on the micro-40's (which defaulted to range 2) and had on 60 watts of lighting. Moving it up and down effectivly doubles or halves the wattage. It looks correct at range 3 (type 145) because it's at 59 W.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

topherhansen wrote:Tool tips on all of the settings in GemSetup would be very nice. I'm having trouble with parsing the manuals on how to do all my setup right now. I'm getting readings from everything, but I don't know (other than trial and error) if I'm doing things right.

I played with the type/range of the PT until it was close to 120V on the Real-Time data feed as I could. It ended up being Type 92 and Range 2 for me.

I also had difficulties (and still am) calibrating my Channels.
I used the presets for Split 200's and micro-80's and micro-40's, but I'm pretty sure the watts are wrong. I've got a killawatt out to test on some of the 15 watt channels I have, but I can't use that on anything larger.
To calibrate the PT settings to be more accurate, you need to use a voltmeter and calibrate based on the value of the voltmeter. The original values will give you what we found to be accurate with the PT we use. The settings are below.

If a jumper is installed on the header labelled HD7 behind the power input on the GEM:
Type: 187
Range: 3
If no jumper:
Type: 194
Range: 4

Your voltage isn't necessarily going to be exactly 120V (in our office for example, we're usually between 110-114V).

The PT settings being calibrated incorrectly will throw all of your readings off from each channel.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com