Initial Setup of my Gem with EtherX and GreenEye Setup

Ask questions about the GEM here.
topherhansen

Initial Setup of my Gem with EtherX and GreenEye Setup

Post by topherhansen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:13 am

I'm going to document my setup of my GreenEye here. I set it up with SmartEnergyGroups.com after i got the initial hardware connected. Hopefully my questions in this thread will be common ones and it helps others through so they don't spend as much time. I also hope it helps guide the setup guide and documentation improvements as they are still being written.

Note: I am an early adopter of the GreenEye and knowingly got mine before documentation and setup software are complete. I am also a professional software developer in testing, so it's my job to identify bugs and write test tools for server to server web applications. Hopefully my vocabulary is correct as I'm not a professional electrician.
topherhansen

Re: Initial Setup of my Gem with EtherX and GreenEye Setup

Post by topherhansen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Step 1: Hardware setup.
It was fairly obvious what went where with the manual.
*I'd post the link to the manual but I'm not sure Ben want's that public. It's still in draft form and I'm helping provide feedback on it where I can.

I have two split 200's over my main, 8 micro-80's and 12 micro-40's going over each of my branch circuts. split 200's are setup in pin 1 and 2 of ch1 and ch2 and micro's get pin 2 and 3 of ch3 through ch25. I'll fill in ch26-32 later. I also plan to get some one wire thermometers at some point but not quite yet.

Thoughts:
I have a 42 space Cutler Hammer load center. I put the GreenEye about one stud-bay over from my load center (16 inches) directly left. I haven't gotten any pipe yet give the wires something clean to go through, but the wire length was more than enough.

The micro's leads were pre-trimmed and tinned to the right length. Every one of them went in with a mm to spare. The leads on both of the split 200's needed another 2 mm of trimming with a wire stripper. There was enough tinned though that it all worked out fine and I didn't need a soldering gun.

Hardware was pretty easy to setup. I didn't do any fancyness of sharing channels though.
topherhansen

Post by topherhansen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Sorry, this is taking a while to write up. Tough week at work and I want to give this the justice it deserves.
topherhansen

Post by topherhansen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:57 am

When you plug in the ethernet cord, make sure to power off and on the GEM. I couldn't find it with discovery without powering down and back up just now.