GEM: Values & Settings

Ask questions about the GEM here.
Teken

Re: GEM: Values & Settings

Post by Teken » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 am

topherhansen wrote:My experience has been much better. I'm slowly writing my experience down. Teken and I are among the early adopters and are helping to make their documentation and software better via our feedback.
I would still recommend buying one. I've already shaved off a few hundred watts from my baseline useage in only the last two-three days of analysis on my house. I also felt a lot less bad about using my AC when I realized how cheap it is.. the dryer on the other hand is more expensive than I thought.
I agree, that the GEM has a lot of potential and power to assist the end user in determining their power use and waste. I have been able in a very short time locate and identify a few things that have caused my power use to go up.

It has also helped me in isolating a few circuits along with implementing *Just in time use*. Case in point my microwave draws 4 watts at all time. I installed a Insteon Appliance Linc to cut that power use down to 1 watt.

It was also determined that my Garage Door Opener (GDO) remote light was staying on all night. :( The root cause was the Liftmasters motion sensing keypad. I turned off this feature and now the 34 watts is no longer a drain or issue.

Several items which I would never have thought to draw any sort of power was a Logictech speaker system? :? This item was drawing down 5-8 watts sitting there doing nothing besides looking pretty.

Some things have simply changed how we use things, along with when we use them. Case in point I was not aware that turning on the central ventilation to exhaust the bathroom air was turning on both the furnace & exhaust motor?

The exhaust motor draws aprox 80 watts, the furnace draws over 450+ watts! :evil: So, way back in time I had already put the central exhaust on a timer to limit its use to 10 minutes. I have since installed a few moisture sensors along with a few lines of code to determine how long the fan should run based on the humidity etc.

So the fan can run up to a max of 10 minutes, or be turned off prior if the conditions are met. :mrgreen:

One of the best things I loved about having the GEM is the ability to map out my entire houses electrical circuit. Most people can relate to the fact the electrician usually groups a few lights and plugs together. Rarely do they list off each room as to what the breaker controls.

With the insight and resolution of the GEM I was able to determine each circuit down to a 1 watt source, and mark it down on a spread sheet. So, now with this information at hand I can comfortably turn off a CB and know the power has been terminated.

(It goes with out saying - Safety is always paramount and testing at the point of use lights plugs with a test tool is always required to ensure life and safety)

Anyways, I was able to determine and watch what each device has been drawing and know how long it runs. This gives you the ability to also identify a device that is about to give up the ghost. Case in point I have a very old fridge and borrowed it from my Dads place. It was known this device was on it last leg.

The motor / compressor was rated to draw only 250 watts, watching this device plugged in and waiting for it to stabilize for a few hours. It was apparent that this device was exceeding the rated 250 watts, and was actually using 372 watts as the compressor labored and cycled up and down as it was about to die. Drawing more and more power just to operate to continue to keep the fridge at the set temperature.

The last thing I enjoyed watching is the long term investment of my Energy Star appliances. It goes with out saying that appliances cost you huge amount of money up front! :oops: But, the end goal is knowing you spent all that money and hope to recoup it all due to long term use and lower annual power consumption.

Case in point: I purchased two new LG washer dryers. The washer is the front loading type and the dryer is one of those sensor types. Watching the washer on its initial start it was drawing only 7-14 watts, for only a few minutes at a time the washer used 150-240 watts for short burts no longer than a few minutes at a time. This unit has a 10 year, and highly efficient direct drive motor suspended with magnets. With the water savings of the front load, coupled with the efficient use of power for those cycles required there is lots of savings.

The dryer was the exactly the same. On the peak this monster drew down over 3000 watts! :shock: But, that pain was eased by watching that the dryer would cycle down and hover up and down at 140-260 watts for more of the cycles than it would be at the 3000 watt range. Because it has a sensor dry system. No matter what setting you use, if the appliance detects the clothes are dry, it will stop.

This, is why I paid more up front . . . Instead of the blasted thing running for a full 1, 2 hours. It only runs for the time alloted and no more than the max timer set. In my case I have never had a load set for 41 minutes that was either met, or exceeded. Each time the dryer has turned off well before the 41 minute timer limit set.

It goes with out saying some of our use habits affect how and when we use the dryer. The washer is always set for max spin, this essentially rings out ever drop of water out of the clothes. Which equates to less drying time and less costs.

It also allows us to hang dry much more clothes than before on the clothe line. That, is a big money saver alone. That comes down to habit, and avoiding the whole *Just in time use* if you can get the family to do their laundry well in advance. Then, hang drying will allow the clothes to be ready when they need it, and avoid using the power hog of the dryer.

Now, who wants to help me get some data out of this GEM box??? :evil:

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Sigdigit

Post by Sigdigit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 pm

I switched to a time of day meter two months ago, which divides my usage into off peak or peak hours. Off peak usage is much lower than the standard residential rate, and peak hours the rate is higer than the standard rate. So far, I have managed to keep 78% of my consumption off peak and am shooting for 80%. I want to see what my electric hot water heater is doing before I invest in a timer setup to see if it would be worth the expense.

I think my drier draws 4500W and my central air/heat blower is about 700W. Been anxiously waiting for more of a turnkey solution before I invest in a Greeneye.
topherhansen

Post by topherhansen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:02 pm

I've been running my GEM for two days straight now with proper calibration. I'll be posting the next steps with screenshots on my GEM setup thread and possibly making a youtube video this week now that I've got the knack of it.
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45 pm

topherhansen wrote:I've been running my GEM for two days straight now with proper calibration. I'll be posting the next steps with screenshots on my GEM setup thread and possibly making a youtube video this week now that I've got the knack of it.
Could you please confirm what firmware you're on etc. Both COM & Engine, please also click on the live data view tab and tell me how long the data streams for. Mine is stopping anywhere from 10 seconds to aprox 1 minute?? :evil:

Teken . . .
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
kevini

Post by kevini » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Mine stops on the real-time data view too but it is not a big deal, the tool for me is just to config the unit, I use Homeseer to store and view the data, the data comes through very reliably, every 10 seconds as I have it configured.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Teken wrote: Could you please confirm what firmware you're on etc. Both COM & Engine, please also click on the live data view tab and tell me how long the data streams for. Mine is stopping anywhere from 10 seconds to aprox 1 minute?? :evil:

Teken . . .
10 seconds seems a bit short, you may want to consider stopping real-time on the System Settings tab before clicking the live data, the GEM may be getting overwhelmed depending on your packet send interval and packet type.

The live data view is only intended as an area to check configuration and view polyphase settings. It isn't meant for long-term data viewing. It basically runs a timer, that calls an API command every X seconds. There's a chance for missed packets, etc.

Once it's configured, you should move forward to our EngineG software, ecmread.py, SmartEnergyGroups, etc.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scott12v

Post by scott12v » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:56 pm

kevini wrote:Mine stops on the real-time data view too but it is not a big deal, the tool for me is just to config the unit, I use Homeseer to store and view the data, the data comes through very reliably, every 10 seconds as I have it configured.
Kevin,

What Homeseer Plugin are you using? I've been using UltraECM with three ECM-1240s with good success, but haven't put a ton of time into it since I've been waiting for the GreenEye.

Thanks
Scott
kevini

Post by kevini » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm using the TenWare plugin. It interfaces directly to the Brultech and provides me a text file I use. I did not have access to EngineG yet so it allowed me to get it up quickly. That and raw serial commands to start with :)
http://tenholder.net/tenWare2/tenHsEcm12xx/default.aspx

It has been working flawlessly. I thought about trying UltraECM too but this one has been perfect.
acciaigf

Post by acciaigf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:53 pm

So what is the "current FW" revs, and is there a "know download location" - I just got my GEM "talking" this afternoon, and looking at Comm Firmware V1.46, and Engine1 FW V1.33 - I ordered this some time ago, and finally have so free time on the labor day weekend to work on this - I'm in the process of mounting the box and installing the CT's, but would like to follow Teken's FW upgrade procedure, while I'm still in the early phases here...

Thanks - GFA
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:17 pm

acciaigf wrote:So what is the "current FW" revs, and is there a "know download location" - I just got my GEM "talking" this afternoon, and looking at Comm Firmware V1.46, and Engine1 FW V1.33 - I ordered this some time ago, and finally have so free time on the labor day weekend to work on this - I'm in the process of mounting the box and installing the CT's, but would like to follow Teken's FW upgrade procedure, while I'm still in the early phases here...

Thanks - GFA
Hello Acciaigf,

The latest COM firmware is 1.56, the Engine is 1.35.

1. When performing the firmware upload process, ensure you're doing this with a tethered Ethernet connection.

2. You will then launch the GEM Java Setup 1.7 interface.

3. Select the *Systems tab and click on the *Firmware and Advanced* button.

4. Under the Firmware tab you will install the *COM Firmware* first. Selecting this tab will bring up another window. You will browse to the destination of where you have the firmware.

If you look at the two (Green LED) on the GEM. You will notice that the top / left LED will alternate and blink red / green. This process will take aprox 30 seconds to complete.

The progress bar will show the file is complete once it is done.

5. Install the Engine firmware next.

NOTE: If the firmware shows a immediate completion and you do NOT observe any LED status changes. You need to perform a hard reboot and install the firmware manually.

1. To do this you will remove all power from the GEM (Both plugs).
2. Remove the coin battery cell from the GEM module.
3. Press and hold the black reset button on the bottom of the GEM case.
4. Apply power to the GEM ensuring both plugs are in place. Then release the black reset button.
5. Proceed to install the COM firmware first. Then, proceed with the Engine firmware.
6. Once this process is complete. Unplug the GEM from any power source.
7. Reinstall the battery coin cell.
8. Power back up the GEM and you should be good to go.

9. If you still encounter ANY firmware loading problems. You will follow all the steps outlined above. Except you will select *Corrupt Firmware?* and then proceed from there.

Teken . . .
Teken . . .