Network utility search not finding GEM

Ask questions about the GEM here.
dlmorgan999

Re: Network utility search not finding GEM

Post by dlmorgan999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:42 am

You are correct - I didn't look closely enough. Having found that, I was able to do a real power cycle (I tried to do one before, but I only unplugged the PT supply). Now that I've power cycled it, I can get to the port 8000 page. Oh and fortunately, my power adapter is the newer one.

So it looks like everything is good. Before I do anything I'll regret though :lol:, do you have any advice for the changes I need to make? For example, will I be able to send packets (in the right format) to Home Assistant and still have the Dashbox work properly? I'll do some searching here on the forum for Home Assistant configuration, but I figured I'd ask you while I have you. And thanks for all the help. :)
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:33 pm

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:42 am
You are correct - I didn't look closely enough. Having found that, I was able to do a real power cycle (I tried to do one before, but I only unplugged the PT supply). Now that I've power cycled it, I can get to the port 8000 page. Oh and fortunately, my power adapter is the newer one.

So it looks like everything is good. Before I do anything I'll regret though :lol:, do you have any advice for the changes I need to make? For example, will I be able to send packets (in the right format) to Home Assistant and still have the Dashbox work properly? I'll do some searching here on the forum for Home Assistant configuration, but I figured I'd ask you while I have you. And thanks for all the help. :)
Home-Assistant should work with the packet forwarding setting on the DashBox as long as you have the correct packet format configured yeah. We have a setup here fed via a DashBox.

Home-Assistant IP, Port 8000, Persistent On, and select the GEM serial worked.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:18 pm

After reading a few forum posts, I changed the packet format to Bin32 NET. I still wasn't seeing anything in Home Assistant, and then I noticed that the Dashbox was again reporting no packets received from the GEM.

After doing a bit more testing though, it looks like I caused the issue this time. I changed the Primary packet format from 3: HTTP GET to 8: Bin32 NET to send to Home Assistant and that's when the Dashbox became unhappy. When I changed the primary back to 3: HTTP GET, the Dashbox was happy again.

Here are packet settings I was using:
Attachments
GEM Screenshot 2.png
GEM Screenshot 2.png (97.72 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:32 pm

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:18 pm
After reading a few forum posts, I changed the packet format to Bin32 NET. I still wasn't seeing anything in Home Assistant, and then I noticed that the Dashbox was again reporting no packets received from the GEM.

After doing a bit more testing though, it looks like I caused the issue this time. I changed the Primary packet format from 3: HTTP GET to 8: Bin32 NET to send to Home Assistant and that's when the Dashbox became unhappy. When I changed the primary back to 3: HTTP GET, the Dashbox was happy again.
Ahhh, set the GEM to send to the DashBox via Port 8001 or 8002. Those ports are now setup to take in the binary packets.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:09 pm

Ok - I'll dive into the manual to figure out how to do that!
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:15 pm

According to the manual, there should be a "Remote Host" section on the Network tab, but I don't see that. I'm guessing maybe it's due to older firmware? I'll keep digging.

COM firmware ver: 4.0
ENG firmware ver: 1.49
RealTime Status: ON
Packet Send Interval: 5
Pri. Packet Format: 3
Sec. Packet Format: 0
Sys Status: OK
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:28 pm

The GEM-CFG manual pointed me to the GEM-SET-WE manual for firmware upgrade instructions. I didn't see any firmware upgrade instructions in that manual, so I decided to take a chance and just try upgrading from the "Device Management" page on the GEM.

I downloaded firmware 5.39 (after entering my serial number), but when I tried to upgrade, I got this:

Update fail!Error Code(-6)

Sorry for all the trouble!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:40 pm

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:28 pm
The GEM-CFG manual pointed me to the GEM-SET-WE manual for firmware upgrade instructions. I didn't see any firmware upgrade instructions in that manual, so I decided to take a chance and just try upgrading from the "Device Management" page on the GEM.

I downloaded firmware 5.39 (after entering my serial number), but when I tried to upgrade, I got this:

Update fail!Error Code(-6)

Sorry for all the trouble!
Yeah, 4.0 is quite old, better to get it updated given your recent issues.

That F/W updater is for the WiFi/Ethernet module. You have to update thru the GEM Network Utility.

- Connect to it via TCP Client Port 8000.
- Click Get GEM Info.
- Under the Firmware section, select the COM F/W and click Start.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:09 pm

Ok - I got the GEM firmware updated. Then I went to try and set the remote port in the GEM Network Utility, and discovered apparently that's only applicable for the Ethernet Only board. I also looked on the GEM port 8000 page, but I don't see a way to change the port there either. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Attachments
GEM Screenshot 3.png
GEM Screenshot 3.png (218.57 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:09 pm
Ok - I got the GEM firmware updated. Then I went to try and set the remote port in the GEM Network Utility, and discovered apparently that's only applicable for the Ethernet Only board. I also looked on the GEM port 8000 page, but I don't see a way to change the port there either. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Under the GEM Setup Webpage (Port 8000) there should be a "Network" tab that allows you to setup a 2nd TCP connection.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.