Network utility search not finding GEM

Ask questions about the GEM here.
dlmorgan999

Network utility search not finding GEM

Post by dlmorgan999 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:19 am

I have a GEM and later added a Dashbox. The dashbox is working fine and getting data, but now I'm looking at getting this integrated into Home Assistant. I did the HA software install, but it's not working and my guess is that the packet type is wrong. As such, I tried to connect to the GEM using the network utility, but search isn't finding it.

I can log into the GEM on port 80, but if I try to connect on port 8000, I get "ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE". I then installed and ran the Network Utility (both as a regular user and as Administrator), selected the "Ethernet Only" tab, and clicked Search but nothing was found. I also tried a direct IP search, but that didn't find it either.

Both purchases were made a long time ago (I think around 2015), and I haven't done too much in the way of firmware updates. Maybe that's part of the problem? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. :)
ben
Site Admin

Re: Network utility search not finding GEM

Post by ben » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:26 pm

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:19 am
I have a GEM and later added a Dashbox. The dashbox is working fine and getting data, but now I'm looking at getting this integrated into Home Assistant. I did the HA software install, but it's not working and my guess is that the packet type is wrong. As such, I tried to connect to the GEM using the network utility, but search isn't finding it.

I can log into the GEM on port 80, but if I try to connect on port 8000, I get "ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE". I then installed and ran the Network Utility (both as a regular user and as Administrator), selected the "Ethernet Only" tab, and clicked Search but nothing was found. I also tried a direct IP search, but that didn't find it either.

Both purchases were made a long time ago (I think around 2015), and I haven't done too much in the way of firmware updates. Maybe that's part of the problem? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. :)
Does Port 80 bring up a configuration webpage? If so, you have a WiFi/Ethernet board.

What is the baud settings under Application Settings if so?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:53 pm

Yes it does. It's set to 115200, 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit, and CTS/RTS is disabled.
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:12 pm

Now that I know I have a WiFi/Ethernet board, I chose that option in the Network Utility, and it found the GEM. The "Requesting GEM Serial Number" phase failed, but the rest showed up. I still can't connect on port 8000 though.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:38 pm

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:12 pm
Now that I know I have a WiFi/Ethernet board, I chose that option in the Network Utility, and it found the GEM. The "Requesting GEM Serial Number" phase failed, but the rest showed up. I still can't connect on port 8000 though.
Is your STS cable on COM1 or COM2 of the GEM? COM1 shares the same Rx/Tx as the STS cable. Could be some conflicts there.

If it is, just remove the Rx line and try again. The Tx line is fine.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:33 pm

That question doesn't make sense to me. I have a Dashbox connected to the network, and a GEM connected to the network. I don't have any STS cables, and there isn't anything connected to COM1 or COM2 on the GEM. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:07 am

An update. As of around 5am this morning, it appears the GEM is no longer reporting. The Dashbox status page is showing no recent packets logged.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:37 am

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:33 pm
That question doesn't make sense to me. I have a Dashbox connected to the network, and a GEM connected to the network. I don't have any STS cables, and there isn't anything connected to COM1 or COM2 on the GEM. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking.
Gotcha. Most of the time a customer that runs the DashBox with a WiFi/Ethernet GEM are using the WiFi/Ethernet for other purposes (like HA), my bad.
dlmorgan999 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:07 am
An update. As of around 5am this morning, it appears the GEM is no longer reporting. The Dashbox status page is showing no recent packets logged.
Is the port 80 page still accessible? if so, under Application Settings, grab a screenshot of your TCP settings at the bottom. Should be TCP Server Port 8000.

Give the 8000 page a few tries if you haven't already, it's possible you intercepted a GEM packet while trying to access the Setup Webpage.

Take a look at the GEM SYS LED, it should be solid green with a red flash every packet. How often does the red flash go off? If it's every second it'll be a lot harder to pull the webpage. Once you Enter Setup Mode it stops all packet flow.

Check the power supply on the GEM versus the notice at https://www.brultech.com/contact to make sure it's not the old-style type given the age.

Did you make any changes to the GEM for Home-Assistant or did you just finish installing it?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dlmorgan999

Post by dlmorgan999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:18 am

Thanks Ben. The Dashbox is located in my server room (yes, I actually have one! :lol:). I have a network switch at the GEM location, and I think it was already there when I installed the GEM, so that made the wiring easy. :)

Yes, the GEM is still accessible on port 80, and the port is set to 8000 (see the attached screenshot). I tried refreshing the port 8000 page a few times but no luck.

The SYS LED is flashing red once every five seconds.

And the power supply is actually 12V AC out (Brultech branded, model HHA12-500).

Also (and this is weird), I just logged into the Dashbox again, and now the GEM is showing up fine with an Active status (but still not reachable on port 8000).
Attachments
GEM Screenshot.png
GEM Screenshot.png (201.36 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:39 am

dlmorgan999 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:18 am
Thanks Ben. The Dashbox is located in my server room (yes, I actually have one! :lol:). I have a network switch at the GEM location, and I think it was already there when I installed the GEM, so that made the wiring easy. :)

Yes, the GEM is still accessible on port 80, and the port is set to 8000 (see the attached screenshot). I tried refreshing the port 8000 page a few times but no luck.

The SYS LED is flashing red once every five seconds.

And the power supply is actually 12V AC out (Brultech branded, model HHA12-500).

Also (and this is weird), I just logged into the Dashbox again, and now the GEM is showing up fine with an Active status (but still not reachable on port 8000).
There should be a 2nd supply that uses a barrel jack (unless it's been swapped over to use the MiniUSB plug). THe HHA12-500 is the PT (voltage sensor).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.