Initial Set-up difficulties

Ask questions about the GEM here.
QuietMonk

Initial Set-up difficulties

Post by QuietMonk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:58 am

Hello,

I am having difficulties with the initial set-up. I have an Ethernet Only Gem and I am trying to connect a remote host to receive the packets. Unfortunately, even while following the manual, I can't seem to figure it out. The problem seems to stem from the fact that the the Ethernet Only version doesn't allow the use of the "Network" tab in the set-up page to add remote hosts. Since I have to go through the Network Utility Software, the manual doesn't seem to mention the required information. I am able to connect via the Network Utility Software, I have configured everything else (packet send page and other configs). What is the remote host equivalent in the Network Utility? Server doesn't seem to be what I am looking for and Client seems to be the ip of the GEM itself. For reference, I am trying to send the information directly to a Home Assistant integration but I already tried opening an issue with them and they have never configured a GEM-E with the Network Utility. My attempts to try and find a post here returned nothing either.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers!
ben
Site Admin

Re: Initial Set-up difficulties

Post by ben » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:33 am

QuietMonk wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:58 am
Hello,

I am having difficulties with the initial set-up. I have an Ethernet Only Gem and I am trying to connect a remote host to receive the packets. Unfortunately, even while following the manual, I can't seem to figure it out. The problem seems to stem from the fact that the the Ethernet Only version doesn't allow the use of the "Network" tab in the set-up page to add remote hosts. Since I have to go through the Network Utility Software, the manual doesn't seem to mention the required information. I am able to connect via the Network Utility Software, I have configured everything else (packet send page and other configs). What is the remote host equivalent in the Network Utility? Server doesn't seem to be what I am looking for and Client seems to be the ip of the GEM itself. For reference, I am trying to send the information directly to a Home Assistant integration but I already tried opening an issue with them and they have never configured a GEM-E with the Network Utility. My attempts to try and find a post here returned nothing either.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers!
By default the Ethernet module is set to Mixed Mode, this will service both a Server and Client connection.

The Client connection is controlled by the Server IP and Port.

The module can only service one client or one server connection at a time. So if you're connected to the GEM Setup Webpage, you won't be able to get a Client connection.

You also have to make sure you click the "Exit Setup Mode" button as it pauses all packets while connected.

Your Idle Time in the GEM Network Utility needs to be less then your packet send interval to serve both connections. Idle Time tells the module to disconnect after X seconds in order to serve the other connection.

What you could do while testing is just force it into Client mode so you know it's not being affected by the Server connection. In the top-left above the MAC addresses it should say "Connected" indicating it's connected to your HA setup.

If it says Connected then you have some other issue and I can help from there. Make sure you're using the HACS version by the way, the author moved to HACS for quicker updates.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
QuietMonk

Post by QuietMonk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:43 am

Hey Ben, Thanks for the quick response.

I am on the HACS Integration and have been exchanging with the author on an open github issue. Am I supposed to put my HA instance's IP address in the Server IP box? I currently can't get the HACS integration to even discover anything and the box above MAC addresses says "not connected".
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:51 pm

QuietMonk wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:43 am
Hey Ben, Thanks for the quick response.

I am on the HACS Integration and have been exchanging with the author on an open github issue. Am I supposed to put my HA instance's IP address in the Server IP box? I currently can't get the HACS integration to even discover anything and the box above MAC addresses says "not connected".
Yeah, Server IP should be your HA IP.

I think the Port (Remote Port) used by the plugin is 8000 by default.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
QuietMonk

Post by QuietMonk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:03 pm

Yep, the default port is 8000 and my HA address is in the server ip box. I will reach back out to the HACS author since it seems like everything is configured properly on the utility side.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:48 pm

QuietMonk wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:03 pm
Yep, the default port is 8000 and my HA address is in the server ip box. I will reach back out to the HACS author since it seems like everything is configured properly on the utility side.
Do you have the Primary Packet Format set to Bin-32-NET?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
QuietMonk

Post by QuietMonk » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:51 am

Yes.
QuietMonk

Post by QuietMonk » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:10 am

So it turns out that I can't see the GEM on my network. I can connect to it via utility, but when I search for the GEM in my routers client list, I can't find it. I will do some more digging and report back. Let me know if you have any ideas.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 am

QuietMonk wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:10 am
So it turns out that I can't see the GEM on my network. I can connect to it via utility, but when I search for the GEM in my routers client list, I can't find it. I will do some more digging and report back. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Can you email me or post a screenshot of the GEM Network Utility?

Did Static IP become toggled maybe or can you try setting a Static IP?

If you can enter the GEM Setup Webpage in your web browser it should be accessible via the network. If you're able to do that, try pinging it via your HA server.

The configuration is done via UDP.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.