GEM Failing after recovery mode firmware update

Ask questions about the GEM here.
mcblitz

GEM Failing after recovery mode firmware update

Post by mcblitz » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:35 pm

My GEM stopped working earlier this summer, and I'm only now getting around to triaging it. It an old ethernet-only GEM. The GEM Network Utility finds it, but can connect.

I checked the button battery, and it was low so I replaced it. That didn't fix the problem.

I decided to try recovery mode. I downloaded COMM firmware version 5.39, set the GEM baud to 19200 and placed the GEM in recovery mode, and low and behold, it updated the firmware successfully. After setting the baud to 115200, I was able to talk to the GEM and enter Setup. I noticed it has a Status of "Sys Err2".

I power cycled the GEM to clear the error, and could no longer talk to it.

I repeated recover mode and was able to talk to it again, but after another power-cycle, it's silent.

Any help would be appreciated.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Failing after recovery mode firmware update

Post by ben » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:37 pm

Sys2 is an error that happens when upgrading from much older F/W. This will clear the flag:

- Plug the unit in.
- Pop out the battery.
- Unplug the unit and wait around 5 seconds.
- Plug the unit back in.

If it works, put the battery back in while powered.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:39 pm

Also make sure COM1 Flow Control is disabled on the GEM. That can become enabled when updating from old versions.

The CTS/RTS pins are floating.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
mcblitz

Post by mcblitz » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:16 pm

I reload the E firmware version 1.49, and it seems to be working better. I power cycled, and it came back online this time.

But I still have "Sys Status: Err2"

Also, in the GEM Network Utility, it report my unit as "GreenEye S/N 25565534, Model: GEM-W (Wifi Only Installed)"

The S/N is because of problem I had a while ago, and is was suggested an enter -1 or equivalent for the S/N.

But, I don't have Wifi. I have an ethernet unit.
mcblitz

Post by mcblitz » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:20 pm

The status has changed to "OK", and the GEM survived another power-cycle, so I have hope.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:40 pm

mcblitz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:16 pm
I reload the E firmware version 1.49, and it seems to be working better. I power cycled, and it came back online this time.

But I still have "Sys Status: Err2"

Also, in the GEM Network Utility, it report my unit as "GreenEye S/N 25565534, Model: GEM-W (Wifi Only Installed)"

The S/N is because of problem I had a while ago, and is was suggested an enter -1 or equivalent for the S/N.

But, I don't have Wifi. I have an ethernet unit.
In the GEM Network Utility, under Firmware switch your Hardware Option to Ethernet. I'll email over a guide to change your serial number back.

The ENG should never have to be reloaded once it's at 1.49 BTW. The ENG controls the sampling, the COM controls all the front-end stuff.
mcblitz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:20 pm
The status has changed to "OK", and the GEM survived another power-cycle, so I have hope.
Yeah, it looks like you had some pretty corrupt memory from the old firmware. The power cycle without the battery would've cleared up most the issues.

Send me over your Adv and Status pages in the emai I send over (or here) and I'll make sure the rest of your settings are fine.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.